PDA

View Full Version : Should There Have Been A Labor Fee?

Grant
09-12-2003, 10:27 AM
Hi,

I hope provide insight in connection to costs for a car still under warranty.

Recently, I could not start my 2000 323i, now three years old (3 years, 14 days). The symptoms of flashing headlights when cranking the car and a clicking noise behind the instrument cluster pointed to a bad battery. I jumped started my car and brought it down to the dealer. The diagnosis was one bad cell.

I was told by BMWNA that for my model year, the battery warranty is two years. I was charged for the battery and labor. Is the labor charge a legitimate charge? Would it have been better to have the car towed in?

Thanks for the info...

BobC
09-12-2003, 11:25 AM
The dealer performed non warenty work on your car so why shouldn't there have been a labor charge?

LDV330i
09-12-2003, 09:59 PM
Hi,

I hope provide insight in connection to costs for a car still under warranty.

Recently, I could not start my 2000 323i, now three years old (3 years, 14 days). The symptoms of flashing headlights when cranking the car and a clicking noise behind the instrument cluster pointed to a bad battery. I jumped started my car and brought it down to the dealer. The diagnosis was one bad cell.

I was told by BMWNA that for my model year, the battery warranty is two years. I was charged for the battery and labor. Is the labor charge a legitimate charge? Would it have been better to have the car towed in?

Thanks for the info...
I too was in for a rude awakening when I got my 27 month old car towed in for a dead battery. The bill was for $240 for labor and marterial. I am on my 3rd BMW battery. :thumbdwn: The second one also died shortly after the 2 year battery expired. :mad:

Raffi
09-13-2003, 01:41 AM
I too was in for a rude awakening when I got my 27 month old car towed in for a dead battery. The bill was for $240 for labor and marterial. I am on my 3rd BMW battery. :thumbdwn: The second one also died shortly after the 2 year battery expired. :mad:

:dunno: Try a non-BMW battery next time, such as Interstate? :dunno: Do a search here, it's been discussed before.

ff
09-13-2003, 10:54 AM

Why do you have to use a BMW battery?

LDV330i
09-13-2003, 02:45 PM
Why do you have to use a BMW battery?

I had not planned on replacing my battery with another BMW battery. The 1rst time it happened I was under the assumption that the entire car war covered by the 48 month warranty. :confused: Wrong!!

The second time it happened, all electrical systems were working normally but the starter motor would not engage the motor to turn it over. Even when I tried to jump start it was the same story so I was sure it was the starter. I even told the dealer that if I had the same starter problem again within the next 30 day I would ask for my money back on the battery. Well, I have had to eat my words. :mad:

Since in my experience the BMW battery is designed to barely go over the 24 month warranty period I am planning on swapping it out with longer warranty battery shortly after the warranty expires as preventative maintenance.

SARAFIL
09-13-2003, 03:06 PM

BMW went from a 2 to 4 year warranty on the batteries in the 2000 model year. I think a call to your dealer's service manager is called for in this case-- it should be covered.

Grant
09-14-2003, 08:58 AM
BMW went from a 2 to 4 year warranty on the batteries in the 2000 model year. I think a call to your dealer's service manager is called for in this case-- it should be covered.

Grant
09-14-2003, 09:17 AM
Thanks for all your informative posts. I, too, thought the car was under a 4yr/48K warranty. To some extent, IMO, this adds a chilling effect of bring in the car for unschedule service during the warranty period. The symptoms of flashing lights and a loud clicking noise from the dash, from a lay person's viewpoint, would indicate a more serious problem than a dead battery. (The good folks here, however, advised me that it was probably a dead battery. Thanks). If these same symptoms popped up again during the warranty period, I would probably go somewhere else, but what if it was more than the battery and covered under warranty (A battery may be of limited value in this example)?

Again, thanks for all your input. I was trying to review the warranty information in the warranty booklet that came with the car. Is there a specific reference to the battery warranty?

In a more positive light, I had a good experience with the dealer and was seen right away....

SARAFIL
09-14-2003, 01:47 PM
Again, thanks for all your input. I was trying to review the warranty information in the warranty booklet that came with the car. Is there a specific reference to the battery warranty?

Show this to your Service Manager, and tell him if he has any questions, he can look on BMW CenterNet to view this, or he can contact his area field rep.

Grant
09-14-2003, 03:09 PM
Show this to your Service Manager, and tell him if he has any questions, he can look on BMW CenterNet to view this, or he can contact his area field rep.

Thanks for your time and the info, Sarafil.

SergioK
09-14-2003, 03:32 PM

Seems odd that your car is eating up batteries so quickly. My car is 11 months OLDER than yours and it's still on the original battery. Do you have any aftermarket electrical accessories? Also, car batteries are not designed to be discharged at all, so running accessories without the engine running (alternator to charge the battery) is the best way to kill a car battery.

LDV330i
09-14-2003, 05:56 PM
Seems odd that your car is eating up batteries so quickly. My car is 11 months OLDER than yours and it's still on the original battery. Do you have any aftermarket electrical accessories? Also, car batteries are not designed to be discharged at all, so running accessories without the engine running (alternator to charge the battery) is the best way to kill a car battery.

It has always been a mystery to me why this car eats batteries. :dunno: I only have 2 accessories (dealer) installed: alarm and CD Player. I have never run the radio/CD player without the motor running. I have been told that the alarm would take a long time (many weeks) to discharge the battery.

SergioK
09-14-2003, 07:49 PM
It has always been a mystery to me why this car eats batteries. :dunno: I only have 2 accessories (dealer) installed: alarm and CD Player. I have never run the radio/CD player without the motor running. I have been told that the alarm would take a long time (many weeks) to discharge the battery.

Hmm, do you shut all your windows, turn off all accessories, etc. before shutting the engine down?

LDV330i
09-15-2003, 10:41 PM
Hmm, do you shut all your windows, turn off all accessories, etc. before shutting the engine down?

I had the electrical system checked but everything appears to be normal. All accessories shut down when you shut down the motor unless you move the key to ACC possition.

Though it has been mentioned that on 2000 and newer cars the battery is covered under the 4 year warranty. Apparently the replacement batteries are still covered under a 2 year warranty. I had my battery replaced on May 2000 and when it failed in September 2002 I was told I needed to pay for it.

My question would still be why the battery would only have a 2 year warranty. You can get batteries for less at Sears that have a 5 year warrranty. Does BMWW know that their batteries do not go much beyond the 24 months? :dunno:

Brashland
09-16-2003, 08:08 AM
I think because BMWs are european cars their batteries are on the metric system. :D

It is so stupid that they charge an hour of labor for a 5 minute procedure.

Grant
09-17-2003, 03:27 PM
Well...I talked to the service manager and was told that because of the extremely low miles driven over the past three years, the submitting of a warranty claim would not be accepted by BMW. Accordingly, warranty coverage denied.

eswimm
09-18-2003, 07:19 AM
Well...I talked to the service manager and was told that because of the extremely low miles driven over the past three years, the submitting of a warranty claim would not be accepted by BMW. Accordingly, warranty coverage denied.

Did I miss some ultra-fine print in the warranty manual? 4 years/50,000 miles (but not less than 25,000)?