PDA

View Full Version : WRX Wagon,Mini Cooper S, PT cruiser?

jeffxjet
12-28-2001, 11:43 AM
Which car would be best for a second car with fold down seats and room to carry a 70lb dog and some small stuff from Home Depot? Other suggestions will be considered.
Jeff

hts
12-28-2001, 12:39 PM
:)

JST
12-28-2001, 12:59 PM
Yes, the Jetta is available in 2.0, 1.8T, 1.9 TDI, and VR6 flavors.

The cars listed are different. I would discard the Mini Cooper because a) it's too small to be competitive with the others and b) it's availability is limited, and will probably be the subject of dealer gouging for at least 6 months.

I'd also discard the PT Cruiser. It doesn't offer nearly the performance of any of the others, and its gimmicky styling is a turn-off for me.

That would leave (in my mind) the WRX wagon and the Jetta. Obviously, the WRX walks all over the Jetta (even the VR6) in terms of performance, and has all-wheel-drive, which is a nice feature. OTOH, the Jetta is a much, much nicer car inside. In the Subaru, you're paying for the driveline. In the Jetta, you're paying for the interior. Which suits you better? Are you going to tear around in the wagon, such that maximum performance is important? Or are you going to cruise in it, use it on the freeway, maybe commute with it? If the former, the WRX is the only choice. If the latter, the Jetta works nicely.

If it were me, I *think* I'd go with the WRX. However, given that the M3 already fills the role of "sports car" for me, I might prefer to have a more relaxed cruiser, like the Jetta 1.8T.

Tough decision, but I don't really think you can go wrong either way.

ARCHER
12-28-2001, 12:59 PM
Iím following htsís thinking. If a Jetta wagon is possible, it would be my choice.

WRX is cheap, fast and fun but build quality has been brought into question many times.

Mini - very cool and will surely be a blast to drive. The only catch is availability. 2Ę

TD
12-28-2001, 01:00 PM
So I'm not the only who who absolutely hates the PT Cruiser. But I posted my PT Cruiser rant in response to this post at the .Org.

hts
12-28-2001, 01:03 PM
:(

MikeW
12-28-2001, 01:11 PM
I drive a last generation Imprezza wagon quite a bit (it's my mother's car). Its a great utility car. My sister bought $7-800 worth of Ikea wall unit pieces, and we got all of it in the hatch and closed it (the long pieces did go almost to the windshield, which made the ride home not the most comfortable I've had). The car handles very nicely for what it is, and the acceleration isn't bad for a smallish four-banger.

The other car I'm thinking about as a downscale substitute for a bimmer is the VW GTI with the new 24 valve/ 200HP V6, which is coming out in March.

ed325i
12-28-2001, 01:32 PM
Or an Acura RSX Type S

Kaz
12-28-2001, 01:41 PM
I've considered the Jetta VR6 wagon, WRX wagon, and the Cooper S, as well as the 24V VR6 GTI 6MT, got impatient, and got my 325 wagon instead. :D

Of those, I think the Jetta is the most practical, the Cooper the least, and the other two somewhere in between. If your first car is the 'fun car', and you really don't need this second one to be that way, I think the Jetta wagon would be the way to go. If you want something to haul crap around, might as well get one that actually can. I've hauled a 32in Sony XBR TV in mine, and out of all those above, I'd bet the Jetta would be the only one that could do the same.

J. Kidd
12-28-2001, 02:21 PM
As far as I'm concerned, that offers the most "bang for the buck" and utility!

You already have the "niceties" of having a BMW, so you might as well get a car that performs well that can be more utilitarian...

Plus there is the advantage of the AWD system for any inclement weather...

Anyway, you asked..:D

Alex Baumann
12-28-2001, 05:13 PM
Forget the Mini. I saw it in person (test drove too) it doesn't have enough room even if with fold-down rear seats. But it's a fun car to drive.

chalkem77
12-28-2001, 05:19 PM
you won't have room for the rest of your family (just you and your 70lb dog), but who cares???:D :D :D

jeffxjet
12-28-2001, 07:49 PM
Cool, thanks for the help guys. My 330Cic is the nice car and I'm giving up my 89 maxima and need a second car with A/C that can haul the dog and small stuff like peat moss bags. Nothing too big as I have a truck also. I wanted a fun car like the mini but was too late on the wait list so that might be out as I'm losing my car in a week. I test drove the WRX a little while ago and I liked it but the wife was ho hum. We're gonna drive the PT cruiser for her benefit, although she was nonplussed by the turbo on the WRX I think the power on the PT will definatley turn her off. She said she expected that much power from the WRX. I'm sure the cruiser will be off the list once we drive it. That kinda narrows my choices to the WRX, but now I'm gonna go check out the VW also. I had no idea they still made wagons.

Anyway, thanks for the good info.
Jeff