PDA

View Full Version : nightmare

timbo9
10-19-2009, 08:01 AM
Bought my bimmer last year in march loved it immediately 1995 bmw 530i 200,000khms the car was immaculant I drove it till august and it started to have tranny issues in auto mode so I would switch it to std and it would be fine found out it was the MAP sensor while it was in getting the map sensor they noticed the water pump needed to be replaced so they did it .They also found a leak inthe intake gasket and replaced it. Now the car runs for 15 mins and dies......no codes....the bmw dealership said the motor was toast something about a leakdown test.Well i TOOK IT FOR A SECOND OPINION was told they couldnt have done a leak down test cause the air pump was not functional and the pipe leading to the pump had corrosion holes in it .....I dont know wether to fix or give up I have over 6000 into this car it has no body or interior issues....any other suggestions it might be ?????

woodnthings8
10-19-2009, 08:19 AM
Sounds like you have a dilema, Me I would fix it, but I do my own work so that saves a bunch of money. If I were paying others to do it it might be a whole different story.

timbo9
10-19-2009, 08:47 AM
any ideas why it stop running after 15 minutes and then start up after it cooled down....the temp is good ....the dealership said it was because of excessive pressure build up in the block...if I put on of those breathable oil caps they use to run on the old 350's would that solve the problem and let the block breathe if the airpump is not working would that cause the stalling????:dunno:

woodnthings8
10-19-2009, 12:39 PM
Not sure about their diagnosis. I have a 525i and I am quite certain no air pump is installed as far as emissions go. If you think the engine is worn out have a qualified shop do a compression test on the engine. That will be a good start. A leakdown test is also good but you need to get the actual numbers from the test. You could have something as simple as valves or headgasket issues causing a failure on the tests. Too me if your car is running fine for 15 minutes then dying with no codes I would think it could be fuel related, or something like that. Of course it could be excessive build-up, but that is hard to fathom. I would assume that when the pressure gets that high in the engine the valve cap would be like a pressure cooker and spewing an oily steam. What airpump are they talking about? Does the 530i have a different setup than my 525i?

rdc
10-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Not sure about their diagnosis. I have a 525i and I am quite certain no air pump is installed as far as emissions go. If you think the engine is worn out have a qualified shop do a compression test on the engine. That will be a good start. A leakdown test is also good but you need to get the actual numbers from the test. You could have something as simple as valves or headgasket issues causing a failure on the tests. Too me if your car is running fine for 15 minutes then dying with no codes I would think it could be fuel related, or something like that. Of course it could be excessive build-up, but that is hard to fathom. I would assume that when the pressure gets that high in the engine the valve cap would be like a pressure cooker and spewing an oily steam. What airpump are they talking about? Does the 530i have a different setup than my 525i?

+1 on the air pump. Get other opinions

timbo9
11-03-2009, 09:15 AM
:( Well I picked up my 530i from bimmersport in Mississauga the car was torn apart missing a bunch of parts plus to my suprise a large dent/crease in the fender which they totally deny happened on their property. I cant take it anymore!!!! I brought the car home because they are shooting at stuff that has no relevance to the car stalling when it gets warm. I asked them if they checked for spark after the car stalled and they didnt even do that they told me it needed an air pump that was 1500+ to install .....when I brought the car to them I drove it off the trailer the car ran fine but would stall after 15 mins...now it I have to reassemble the whole front of the motor just to get it to run....THEY TOLD ME AT BIMMERSPORT TO GET A LAWYER IF I WANTED THE DAMAGE FIXED......TALK ABOUT CUSTOMER RELATIONS

cager169
11-03-2009, 09:47 AM
wow that sucks. why was the car torn apart when you picked it up? unfinished job? you should look into the lawyer :dunno: also for 1500 why don't you just buy a new engine?

jimoreno
11-03-2009, 11:44 AM
That air pump is the secondary air injector pump and is for emissions and only found on the M60B30 engine plus it only actually works like for the first minute or two. I don't think that this system is working in my car but I have no CEL for it. I would replace the pipe and forget about the pump for now. The leakdown test is done by putting compressed air into the cylinders and then noting how long it takes to reach a lower setting so I think the shop is full of it and probably just don't want to mess up with an older car. Higher leakdown rates mean that the pistons are not sealing against the cylinders. Interestingly enough while the engine is cold the computer ignores the oxygen sensors input. Have you had them changed? Also, next time the engine dies, unplug the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor and see if that helps it run better. If it does, clean it with MAF cleaning spray (it's special for it) and see if its fixed. If not replace the MAF.
Good Luck!

PD: Do get the lawyer and have them fix what they broke!