PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Starter...

souci22
10-19-2009, 10:02 AM
I have a 1995 BMW 525i and recently have had issues with it starting. When I turn the key it either clicks repeatedley (similar to a dead battery) or tries to turn over but just wont catch. I've had it looked at by a trustworthy mechanic and he feels I need to replace the starter.

Should I replace the starter or is there anything else I should consider?

Thanks -

woodnthings8
10-19-2009, 12:04 PM
It is either the starter or the battery. If you are really confident the battery is good, you need to replace the starter. Not a very simple task though. The bolts that hold it in are not the best access, if you read the manual you need to remove the intake assy. So consider that when preparing for the job to make sure you order any needed gaskets and consumables for the job. Have the battery load tested at any tire store or "good" auto parts stores.

ross1
10-20-2009, 07:40 AM
I don't understand what "tries to turn over but just wont catch" means. If you mean the starter motor spins but does not engage the flywheel to turn the engine then your problem is the starter solenoid. This is also the part that is doing the clicking.
Uh, curious why if you consider your mechanic trustworthy are you asking people who's credentials are unknown to second guess him?
For what it's worth I concur with his diagnosis given your description. Also If you are interested I have a good, lightly used BMW reman. starter to fit your car. I'm near you, PM if intereseted.