PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions about touring light [B][/B]

BrothaMansWhip2
10-21-2009, 05:56 PM
I am still having a problem with my lights on my touring.I'm thinking of replacing my rear lights. But the ones i've looked have wires

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/89-90-91-92-93-94-95-BMW-E34-SMOKE-TAIL-LIGHT-525i-535i_W0QQitemZ140353357341QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotor s_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item20adb6461d

instead of the white plugs that screw into the sockets , making contact on the small tabs. My lights are fine except when i turn on the headlights at night. My turn signals remain on, very bright and do not flash. The hazards also do not work when the headlamps or parking lights are on. One of the plugs for the brake lights is not functioning:dunno:. Should I be looking at the flasher/hazard relay?
So what is the difference between touring rear lights and regular e34 lights?

Anyway know where I can find some nice e34 touring rear lights?

I found the solution. I have the wrong bulbs installed. I need orange double filament bulbs. Any one know where I can find some? Send the link please....

ross1
10-22-2009, 10:18 AM
Those are crap.
Buy used factory parts.
your issue sounds to me like a bad ground causing the dash lights to remain on.

CarDriver
10-22-2009, 08:41 PM
Those are crap.
Buy used factory parts.
your issue sounds to me like a bad ground causing the dash lights to remain on.

I was just going to say the same thing! You beet me too it.

BrothaMan, Some things you can not go cheap with. That is one of them. Most importantly, The lights that are made for a sedan will not fit a touring! Do not let any vendor tell you they will !!

Contact a salvage yard to replace the tail light. or you can try ebay. As for the problems you are having, look to the flasher relay as the culprit. I do not think it would be your LKM.

BrothaMansWhip2
10-26-2009, 10:23 PM
i'm going to get some new relays. i think its the hazard/ turn signal relay

attack eagle
11-01-2009, 08:52 PM
you could have the inevitable hatch harness issues

you could have a set of warped tails from some PO or mechanic sticking a 1 series light in there instead of the 2. (brake issue)

you could have a bad socket/bulb holder (brake issue)

BUT...

you definitely have the wrong bulbs in the front turn signals.
You need a 2 filament bulb (1157 iirc) and someone stuck in a single filament turn only bulb (1156).

happens a LOT. especially with 'stealth' or LED bulbs.

BrothaMansWhip2
11-15-2009, 02:57 PM
you could have the inevitable hatch harness issues

you could have a set of warped tails from some PO or mechanic sticking a 1 series light in there instead of the 2. (brake issue)

you could have a bad socket/bulb holder (brake issue)

BUT...

you definitely have the wrong bulbs in the front turn signals.
You need a 2 filament bulb (1157 iirc) and someone stuck in a single filament turn only bulb (1156).

happens a LOT. especially with 'stealth' or LED bulbs.

That is exactly the problem Wrong frickin bulbs. :tsk:
Can you send me a link so I can get them. I didn't see them on the franchise sites

CarDriver
11-16-2009, 05:23 AM
That is exactly the problem Wrong frickin bulbs. :tsk:
Can you send me a link so I can get them. I didn't see them on the franchise sites

You can look up the part number from realoem.com and search with that number on google or you can get the correct bulbs from bavauto.com, pelicantparts.com or autohauzaz.com

Call a sales rep before you place the order to insure you are getting the correct OEM bulbs. Or, Just go to the dealer.

Tourburgring
11-16-2009, 06:43 PM
Any quality Replacement Bulb of the correct size, number and wattage will work, PROVIDED it has a Silver (nickel) base and not a Brass base. Sylvania, Phillips, Osram are all good. BTW you should NOT need Orange Coloured Bulbs in any location on an E34 unless somebody has converted to Clear Lens's.

BrothaMansWhip2
11-16-2009, 09:26 PM
Any quality Replacement Bulb of the correct size, number and wattage will work, PROVIDED it has a Silver (nickel) base and not a Brass base. Sylvania, Phillips, Osram are all good. BTW you should NOT need Orange Coloured Bulbs in any location on an E34 unless somebody has converted to Clear Lens's.

I have indeed changed over to clear lenses. I'm having a hard time finding amber/orange colored bulbs that are compatible:dunno:

Tourburgring
11-18-2009, 04:45 PM
I have indeed changed over to clear lenses. I'm having a hard time finding amber/orange colored bulbs that are compatible:dunno:

Maybe that's the reason BMW stuck with Orange Lens's all this time :D;):)

attack eagle
12-06-2009, 05:57 AM
sorry so late.
the FRONT turnsignals
use standard 1157 bulbs.

you can buy 1157 at any parts place, walmart, even some gas stations!

na means natural amber ( ie orange bulb) so you want an

1157NA

BrothaMansWhip2
12-06-2009, 09:08 AM
Thank you sooo much. I'm hoping to pick some up today. In addition, the brake light socket is bad. I switched out bulbs and switched sockets/bulb holders and it still didn't work. Its definitely the bulb holder...

BrothaMansWhip2
12-08-2009, 10:36 AM
I got 6 1157NA bulbs.. Put tow in .. voila!! I have turn signal while the headlamps are on,,,,,,Thanks everyone