PDA

View Full Version : Self levelling suspension problem - HELP!!!!

mev
10-22-2009, 08:14 AM
I have a 2003 530d Touring.
This morning I jacked the front of the car to fix a minor brake problem. After I lowered the car from the jack I noticed that the rear suspension is now at the maximum height position, so the car is almost undriveable.
Like all Touring models, my car has self levelling rear suspension, so presumably the problem is linked to this. While the car was jacked at the front I started the engine briefly and I also charged the battery for 10 minutes, so I suspect that I have somehow upset the software.
How can I restore the normal ride height? I've tried disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes to re-set the software but it has made no difference.
Any ideas? I'm supposed to be going on holiday in the car tomorrow!

mev
10-22-2009, 08:19 AM
Oops sorry! Wrong group.

ibnyinc
10-22-2009, 08:48 AM
im no expert but i have a 540i with self adjustable suspention and had a lincoln with air ride suspension. they both work similiar with a leveler arm in the back that when you load the back with weight like passengers or luggage the car will fall lower and move that leveler down it sends a signal to the pump to raise the car level. the licoln used air that the pump filled the air bag suspension to level the car so it will not ride low and when passengers got out the car will be higher cause of the air pressure but then the leveler will send a signal agian and the pump will relive the extra air and drop the car.

in your car the bmw has hydralic shocks and works of the power stearing fluid with same princibles.
when you lifted the front you put most of the weight towards the back. when you started the car the suspention reacted like it normally would with all that weight at the back it sent fluid to the shocks and tried to lift the car level the car does not know it was jacked up thats why you cant tow them they have to be on a flat bed truck.
your suspention tried to level the car and kept tring to fill it with fliud until the leveler told it that it is level and the pump will stop but that did not happen because the car was lifted in the front so you have the maximium amount of fluid in your shocks know thats why the cat is high and bounces all over the place because the suspention has no travel.
what supose to happen is at some point the lever should send the signal to the pump that its too high and the relieve valve should kick in and let the fluid go back to the pump and lower the car assuming the relieve unit is working.sometimes it could take a little time it it to happen but i would keep trying to send that signal by turning the ignition on not engine and wait a min shut off and on a few times to get the signal thru.also make sure the front is facing down hill. if all that fails try driving it around the block for few minutes slowly that worked for me a few times when mine got stuck high.
hope that helped some what.

attack eagle
11-01-2009, 08:41 PM
his is an 03 and that means air.

#2 the e34 touring sls system is 100% manual... there are NO electrics/signals/etc involved in the functioning of the system.

the only sensor is a camber/ridehieght sensor connected to the pass. trailing arm whose sole purpose is to trigger an alarm on the Dash if the height is too low.

ibnyinc
11-02-2009, 07:36 AM
ok his system is newer and works with air that means he has a pump to send air to the shocks or bags in other systems and the pump needs to get a signal when to start and stop. how does it know when to do this is by the ride height lever thats connected to rear suspention and body.

CarDriver
11-02-2009, 08:41 AM
ok his system is newer and works with air that means he has a pump to send air to the shocks or bags in other systems and the pump needs to get a signal when to start and stop. how does it know when to do this is by the ride height lever thats connected to rear suspention and body.

IBNYINC... No sense in debating that here. Go to his new thread in the apropriate forum and argue your point. :thumbup: