PDA

View Full Version : 1992 525i with steering issues

PJG
10-22-2009, 12:25 PM
Hi all,
I just purchased this 1992 525i. My brother picked it up in VA. and brought it up to PA for me so I have never driven the car before today. After he brought it up i noticed the leaking high pressure power steering line. I replaced the line and drove it to work today, the car is wondering all over the place, when sitting still, turning the wheel it feels very loose between 11 & 1 o'clock, then you can feel a little tension on the wheel, like normal....when driving it does not respond until after turning the wheel past 11 & 1 o'clock...after i installed the hose i put fluid in the resevoir (ATF like the cap says) and turned the wheel completely back & forth a few times....I have done this a few more times since...is it possible that I still have air in the system? Could it be the box needs adjusted? Ball joint? Tie rod? ????? My brother said that he knew about the leak but when he drove the car it did "wonder"....
Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Viktor
10-23-2009, 11:15 AM
I think ATF is for the tranny. The steering fluid is the closer to the back of the engine, its a little cap with a ball on it.

PJG
10-24-2009, 02:23 PM
OK I noticed that the passenger side outer tie rod end is bad...i will get a new one but this is not the main problem (at least i don't think it is)...while the car was in the air I moved the wheels back and forth, there was a lot of play.... I had my brother hold the steering wheel while I wiggled the tires, the tie rods and pitman arm move but not the steering wheel,I had him turn the steering wheel slightly from side to side, i can see the shaft going into the box move but the pitman arm does not move, when I move the tie rods around it looks like the pitman arm rotates left to right but also up and dowbn a little.....is that normal? I have already adjusted the hex screw on the top, I think it was turned all the way but i might check it out again.....Is there a bushing or some other adjustment that could be done or am I looking at a new steering box?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

vegasbmw
11-17-2009, 02:16 PM
I don't have a diagnosis but if you do end up needing a steering box... check out this website http://www.remsteering.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=867 for remanufactured. This website was posted in another section of the forum.