PDA

View Full Version : 1 series

hector
09-15-2003, 07:24 AM
sorry, i don't know how to paste a link but check out automotive news[autonews.com] today for some interesting info on the 1 series

mquetel
09-15-2003, 08:07 AM
For those who care not to register:

FRANKFURT 2003: BMW to pit 1 series against Accord, Camry with mid-$20s price

By Diana T. Kurylko
Automotive News / September 15, 2003

BMW's new 1 series will be priced in the mid-$20,000 range when it goes on sale in 2005, a price point that will put it in the heart of the volume-sedan segment dominated by the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry.

Tom Purves, CEO of BMW of North America LLC, said the U.S. market will get only one body style of the 1 series - not a hatchback - and two engines, most likely six cylinder.

Potential buyers include owners of the Volkswagen Jetta and similar cars "who aspire to own a BMW," he said at the Frankfurt auto show last week.

"We aren't getting completely carried away saying it will be a home run success," Purves said. "The issue is it needs to perform like a BMW, and it needs to perform like a BMW Americans will like. There is a reason we don't sell four-cylinder BMWs in America."

1 series 'won't be cheap'

CEO Helmut Panke said the 1 series will be nearly identical in size to the 2002 - the predecessor to the 3 series.

"It will pick up where the 2002 started 35 years ago," he said. "It won't be cheap and will be the only rear-drive car of its size."

The new vehicle will be built alongside the 3 series, and will share up to 40 percent of its larger sibling's components, executives said.

The two vehicles will not share a platform, but 80 percent of the production processes will be the same. That will enable production in the same assembly plants - four in Germany and one in South Africa, said Burkhard Goeschel, BMW board member for r&d and purchasing.

"The 1 and the 3 series have a different length, wheelbase, width and A-pillar position, but they can be produced in the same five factories," he said. "We are totally flexible in being able to change volume of all 1- and 3-series derivatives."

The move to common processes began with the 5 series and 6 series. Those vehicles have about 60 percent commonality in manufacturing processes and share about 30 percent in components on a parts basis - more in value added because the engines and gearboxes are common, Goeschel said.

BMW is designing the 1- and 3-series model ranges to accommodate up to 10 body styles, said Goeschel. He would not specify which body styles each range will get, but the large number of derivatives suggests several body styles of the 1-series are possible.

The current 3 series comes as a sedan, coupe, convertible, hatchback and station wagon.

Shares processes and parts

The ability to build so many vehicles on one assembly line exceeds even what the most flexible Japanese makers such as Honda can do, Goeschel said.

"The main goal is to have differentiation by keeping commonality in processes," Goeschel said.

There is some commonality of the body in white, but the two interiors are different. Tooling will cost less, development costs are lower and the time-to-market is faster because of this side-by-side development, said Goeschel.

The 1 series goes into production at the end of 2004 and the 3 series replacement a year later.

hector
09-15-2003, 08:23 AM
thanks for pasting the link, does anyone know the dimensions of the model 2002 that they are saying will be close to the dimensions of the 1 series?

piku
09-15-2003, 08:34 AM
I just read that at autoweek.com. What I find interesting is that we will only get one body style, and not the hatchback, so most likely the US will get the sedan version of the 1 series. Then again, they say it will compete with Camry and Accord?! They are large family sedans, which the 1 series will not be??!!! Also, it will come with a V6. My question, if it starts at mid-$20,000 then a loaded one will be $30K+? Expensive, no?! I think it should start in the very low-$20,000 and max at mid-high $20,000. I guess we will wait and see.

·clyde·
09-15-2003, 08:42 AM
I just read that at autoweek.com. What I find interesting is that we will only get one body style, and not the hatchback, so most likely the US will get the sedan version of the 1 series. Then again, they say it will compete with Camry and Accord?! They are large family sedans, which the 1 series will not be??!!! Also, it will come with a V6. My question, if it starts at mid-$20,000 then a loaded one will be $30K+? Expensive, no?! I think it should start in the very low-$20,000 and max at mid-high $20,000. I guess we will wait and see.
Where did it say V6? I saw six cylinder, but no mention of V6.

I want an M version of this car.

piku
09-15-2003, 08:44 AM
Where did it say V6? I saw six cylinder, but no mention of V6.

My bad, six cylinder!

Pete Teoh
09-15-2003, 09:45 AM
:thumbup:Me too!

PhilH
09-15-2003, 10:56 AM
...the U.S. market will get only one body style of the 1 series - not a hatchback - and two engines, most likely six cylinder.

"The issue is it needs to perform like a BMW, and it needs to perform like a BMW Americans will like. There is a reason we don't sell four-cylinder BMWs in America."

The 1 series goes into production at the end of 2004 and the 3 series replacement a year later.
Sounds like we're getting the six cylinder in a smaller, lighter, RWD BMW. :thumbup: (did someone say future track car? :p )

Also, they say that the E90 won't be introduced until the 2006 model year. That's a year later than I thought. :confused:

Alex Baumann
09-15-2003, 11:15 AM
Also, they say that the E90 won't be introduced until the 2006 model year. That's a year later than I thought. :confused:

Either in Geneva in March 2005 or IAA in September 2005. The E90 will get a bigger party than all other models introduced, since it will (must) be the backbone of the company.

PhilH
09-15-2003, 12:02 PM
It figures Auto Spies was wrong. :rolleyes:

Official release date for the next generation BMW 3-series
We tell you when

The Spies have learned the official release date of the next generation BMW 3-series

It will be released in September 2004 in Europe as a 2005 model. It will make it's way to the US in January 2005.

As first reported in our August 23rd issue, here are the details we know so far about the next 3 series...

Auto Spies exclusive: New details on the next-generation 3-series
We take the veil off some of the new features

Auto Spies exclusive:

The next 3-series is a few years off (2005) but the spies are starting to hear details about the next iteration.

- A six-speed manual will be offered
- iDrive finally makes its way into the 3
- A new 'paddle-shift' SMG will be available
- Styling will be the most conservative of all the BMW's
- Performance of the next 330 (won't be a 330, most likely it will be a 350) will rival the current M3
- Convertible will have a retractable hardtop
- It will be less expensive and offer more standard features (due to competition from Infiniti, etc.)
- A diesel will finally make it to the US.

http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/e_article000109617.cfm

I also remember what was supposedly an internal BMW chart showing future model release dates, but I can't find it right now. :confused:

Anyway, 2006 works for me. I'm not buying an E90 right away. :)

Maverick
09-15-2003, 01:07 PM
It figures Auto Spies was wrong. :rolleyes:

http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/e_article000109617.cfm

I also remember what was supposedly an internal BMW chart showing future model release dates, but I can't find it right now. :confused:

Anyway, 2006 works for me. I'm not buying an E90 right away. :)

I wan't the 350! Sounds good! :thumbup:

hector
09-15-2003, 01:14 PM
bmw production roadmap: autospies 1/30/03

tgravo2
09-15-2003, 03:01 PM
a 350 would be :bigpimp: :thumbup:

Chris90
09-15-2003, 03:26 PM
This is sort of good news - getting a hatch 1 series in 2004 was wishful thinking. I'd still like to have a high-tech light 4 cylinder as an option, but a small inline 6 would be just as sweet, if heavier. Right now BMW has a 2.2L inline 6 with 170 hp, but I'd guess by 2005 it will be replaced by a Valvetronic 2.0L and 2.5L or something. Oh man, may have to keep my E36 for another 18 months.
Plus it's built in Germany, so Euro Delivery + CCA discount means $2200 off a brand new model!

bren
09-15-2003, 04:37 PM
FRANKFURT 2003: BMW to pit 1 series against Accord, Camry with mid-$20s price
Doesn't the 325i have a mid $20's entry price?

Tom Purves, CEO of BMW of North America LLC, said the U.S. market will get only one body style of the 1 series - not a hatchback - and two engines, most likely six cylinder. :mad: stupid BMW N/A :tsk:

Chris90
09-15-2003, 08:09 PM
$28,500 is the 325i start point, but could very well be $30k by 2005. I'm sure a loaded 1 series will be under $30k, or it won't likely sell that well.
I expected as much from BMW NA, we're lucky to get a 1 series at all. A sweet inline six might make up for the loss of hatch though.

Doesn't the 325i have a mid $20's entry price?

:mad: stupid BMW N/A :tsk:

aardvark
09-17-2003, 12:00 AM
thanks for pasting the link, does anyone know the dimensions of the model 2002 that they are saying will be close to the dimensions of the 1 series?

The 2002 was around 166.5 inches long (approximately 10 inches shorter than an E46 and about 6 inches inches less than the current VW Jetta).

I don't think that we should automatically assume that BMWNA's pronouncement that the US-spec 1-series won't be a hatchback means that it will be a 4-door sedan. Frankly, I think a notchback coupe (M2?) would make more sense. For one thing, it'd be sportier and less likely than a sedan to receive criticism for a tiny backseat. Also, it'd be less likely to poach sales from the 3-series sedan cash cow.

hector
09-17-2003, 05:40 AM
thanks for that info aardvark, that's also roughly the length of the mk5 golf that's soon to arrive, with a relatively long wheelbase and wide track it should be a nice package, i also would personally like to see us get it as a coupe, any idea what displacement engines we might get, will we see forced induction in the m version or perhaps a high revving 6 cyl?

Chris90
09-17-2003, 05:51 AM
aardvark, I think you're right - it may be a coupe. I'd sort of viewed the most desirable 1 series as a hatchback, sedan, and coupe - in that order - but knowing BMW NA, we'll get the least interesting model. I wouldn't buy a coupe 1 series, it's just too impractical - would be worse than a Mini, which at least has the big hatch. Might as well buy a car like a Miata.
M2 coupe would be a different story though.

Artslinger
09-17-2003, 06:27 AM
IMO BMW should not bring 1 series to the United States, I believe it weaken the high end branding they have worked so hard to achieve. Offering the 1 Series with a 6 cyl will hurt 325 sales, maybe BMW's plan is that once the 1 Series is established they will faze-out the lower end of the 3 Series line, a.k.a.... the current 325?

Lomag
09-17-2003, 11:21 AM
I haven't read this entire thread so I dont know if this was mentioned or not but BMW will NOT be bringing a 1 series to the United States. It'll be a European model only.

This information comes from the BMW product managers who were at the BMWCCA meeting at BMWNA headquarters during the summer. Just FYI...

rwg
09-17-2003, 11:28 AM
I haven't read this entire thread so I dont know if this was mentioned or not but BMW will NOT be bringing a 1 series to the United States. It'll be a European model only.

This information comes from the BMW product managers who were at the BMWCCA meeting at BMWNA headquarters during the summer. Just FYI...

Tom Purves, CEO of BMW of North America LLC, said the U.S. market will get only one body style of the 1 series - not a hatchback - and two engines, most likely six cylinder.

:dunno:

·clyde·
09-17-2003, 12:47 PM
Which gets back to some of the questions in this thread about what engine(s?) will be in it when/if it comes here. Take everything you hear from BMWNA with a tablespoon of salt. I'm not suggesting that they lie to us, but I'm not convinced that 1) the left hand always knows what the right hand is doing and 2) they change their minds more often than pregnant women. :tsk:

hugh1850
09-17-2003, 01:32 PM

350?!!! if they keep the current nomenclature that would be a 3-series with a 5 liter engine?!! :yikes: Do you think it should be a 335? A 3.5 liter?

maransm
09-17-2003, 03:58 PM
http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/bmw1.htm

tgravo2
09-17-2003, 04:12 PM
350?!!! if they keep the current nomenclature that would be a 3-series with a 5 liter engine?!! :yikes: Do you think it should be a 335? A 3.5 liter?

they proabably meant 335 :D

tgravo2
09-17-2003, 04:13 PM
http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/images/bmwone2.JPG

http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/images/bmwone1.JPG

those pics, especially the 2nd one look AWESOME!

:yummy:

Chris90
09-17-2003, 10:32 PM
Which proves yet again that BMW NA has no clue. They did say no 1 series for the US, that now turns out to be false.
With the 3 series getting bigger again, about like the E39 5 series - there won't be much pilfering of market share by the smallish 1 series.

mppaz
09-17-2003, 11:47 PM

2002 Dimensions:

Length: 166.5"
Width: 62.5"
Height: 55.5"

Chris90
09-23-2003, 10:51 AM
Autoweek confirms US gets a 4 door sedan 1 series in 2005. (that's the only new info in this article) Europe gets a 5 door hatchback in 2004. Oh well, I'd rather have a 5 door hatch, but I can live with a sedan - the 1 series is probably my next car.

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=00424646

The Roadstergal
09-23-2003, 11:03 AM
Blast. What's the rationale for not giving us the hatch? :dunno:

bluer1
09-23-2003, 11:13 AM

I suspect they learned from history with the 318ti.

TGD
09-23-2003, 11:31 AM
I still don't get it. I understand that US customers may not be very interested in the hatchback, but it is practically the same model so there in no problem with additional spare parts, service training, etc. In the worst case they can have a very small allocation and if you really want it you may just wait longer.

In Greece almost nobody wants cars with engines over 2lt for tax reasons. Still you can order any engine you like and just wait for 6 months or so.

The Roadstergal
09-23-2003, 11:40 AM
I suspect they learned from history with the 318ti.

I lover that car. Almost bought one. :( (Too expensive at the time.)

bmw325
09-23-2003, 11:46 AM

Sigh...it is sad isn't it. Hatches aren't "premium" enough to be considered "real BMWs" by us fickle Americans i guess. I think the US will be lucky to get BMW wagons much less hatchbacks in the next few years. Of course, I'm sure if they took the 1 series hatchback, and jacked it up a few inches it would be a huge hit.

Pete Teoh
09-23-2003, 12:51 PM
I lover that car. Almost bought one. :( (Too expensive at the time.)
That's loverly :stickpoke

The Roadstergal
09-23-2003, 01:01 PM
That's loverly :stickpoke

Lover and dmanit are <a href=http://www.roadster-chat.net>Roadsterchatisms</a>. :)

aardvark
09-23-2003, 01:08 PM
This is something of a let-down. I was hoping for a coupe.

It'd be kind of strange if they introduced the 1-series sedan and the E90 sedan at exactly the same time (Fall 2005). Perhaps the 1-series sedan will be out a little earlier (Spring 2005?).

Well, if nothing else, this could be a great Euro delivery/vacation car.

Chris90
09-23-2003, 04:25 PM
I wanted the hatch cause (a) it comes out sooner and my E36 is tired, and (b) it looks better from the drawings so far. But who knows what the sedan will look like, it could look good. Hatch would be more practical, too. Most of all, BMW NA should give us the option (hatch, sedan or coupe) - if they just once thought about us instead of their own profits.

WILLIA///M
09-23-2003, 05:08 PM
I would have considered an ///M version of the coupe, but the sedan only? :(

operknockity
09-23-2003, 05:09 PM
Most of all, BMW NA should give us the option (hatch, sedan or coupe) - if they just once thought about us instead of their own profits.
Bring in all the variants or at least giving us the chance to order the variant of our choice would boost profits whereas having only one choice is more likely to reduce profits. If you needed a hatchback but BMW did not offer one, there are a number of other very good marques that have a hatchback for you to turn to.

Chris90
09-23-2003, 08:13 PM
They seem to be concerned about hurting their overall image, or something gay like that.
Nobody else offers a rear drive sedan or hatch under $30k. Well, except for the RX-8 - which the way it's selling is likely to be under $20k soon! :)

Bring in all the variants or at least giving us the chance to order the variant of our choice would boost profits whereas having only one choice is more likely to reduce profits. If you needed a hatchback but BMW did not offer one, there are a number of other very good marques that have a hatchback for you to turn to.

Chris90
09-23-2003, 08:15 PM
Actually, don't worry, cause the M2 is not considered a 1 series. We'll likely get that a year or two after the 1 sedan, and I think it'll be a coupe.

I would have considered an ///M version of the coupe, but the sedan only? :(

bluer1
09-24-2003, 08:40 AM
if they just once thought about us instead of their own profits.

Huh?
:loco:

Chris90
09-24-2003, 09:29 AM
BMW is risking pissing away their most loyal enthusiast base. Most BMW buyers today will switch to Lexus at the drop of a hat, if BMW is no longer in vogue. It takes a decade to build up a loyal base, once in a while it's good to give them something they want even if it's not good for short term profits.

Huh?
:loco:

Jay
09-24-2003, 10:48 AM
the U.S. market will get only one body style of the 1 series - not a hatchback

Hmmm, this is interesting. That the 1 series is going to happen is well known, but I'm surprised to learn that the U.S. market isn't going to get the hatchback.

BMW's slang term for the 1 series was the "Golf killer", so I'm surprised that they're going to downplay the hatch version.

Personally, I hope the hatchback will be available in Canada; I think it looks nice.

There is also a possibility that BMW thinks the 1 series hatch and the Mini will compete with each other in North America, where there isn't a big market for hatchbacks.

Jay

Chris90
09-24-2003, 12:41 PM
The Golf is the number 1 selling car in Europe, so they were probably talking about Europe when they said that.
I think the 1 hatch would sell IF hatchbacks are coming back in style in the US - but I'm not sure if they are. Mazda, Audi and others are releasing hatchbacks next year in the US, but I don't know if they'll sell. If they do, maybe BMW NA will change their mind.
Any wagers on what the 6 cylinder will be? I sure hope it's not a V6. A 2.2L inline 6 with 180 hp would be awesome.

Hmmm, this is interesting. That the 1 series is going to happen is well known, but I'm surprised to learn that the U.S. market isn't going to get the hatchback.

BMW's slang term for the 1 series was the "Golf killer", so I'm surprised that they're going to downplay the hatch version.

Personally, I hope the hatchback will be available in Canada; I think it looks nice.

There is also a possibility that BMW thinks the 1 series hatch and the Mini will compete with each other in North America, where there isn't a big market for hatchbacks.

Jay

PhilH
09-24-2003, 01:17 PM
Any wagers on what the 6 cylinder will be? I sure hope it's not a V6. A 2.2L inline 6 with 180 hp would be awesome.
A 2.2 liter I-6 with 180hp and a 2.5 liter I-6 with 200hp.

Chris90
09-24-2003, 02:07 PM
I wonder if those engines will be Valvetronic? If not, they would be the current engines - like the 2.2L from the Z4, which is 170 hp I think?
Any chance it'll be a V6? There have been BMW V6 rumors for years.

A 2.2 liter I-6 with 180hp and a 2.5 liter I-6 with 200hp.

andy_thomas
09-25-2003, 02:57 AM
BMW is risking pissing away their most loyal enthusiast base. Most BMW buyers today will switch to Lexus at the drop of a hat, if BMW is no longer in vogue. It takes a decade to build up a loyal base, once in a while it's good to give them something they want even if it's not good for short term profits.

They tried that with the compact. All of a sudden, everyone in America (and quite a few car snobs in Britain too) accused BMW of a cheap downmarket trick. What makes you think that isn't going to happen next time? The more it changes, the more it stays the same...

If more BMW buyers switch to Lexus because BMW does not import a small, budget hatch (why? What can the 1-series possibly have to do with Lexus?) then fine. BMW can stop building lardarse luxury sedans for wieners who like electrically-operated everything, and get back to building cars which go like hell. Like an Alfa Romeo, only without the tendency (yes, they still do) to fall apart.

andy_thomas
09-25-2003, 03:00 AM
I wonder if those engines will be Valvetronic? If not, they would be the current engines - like the 2.2L from the Z4, which is 170 hp I think?
Any chance it'll be a V6? There have been BMW V6 rumors for years.

V6? Rumour? On several occasions I have read articles featuring BMW honchos saying categorically that BMW will continue with the dynamically superior inline six engine indefinitely, and will reserve Vs for the 8s, 10s and 12s. But hey, we mustn't let that get in the way of a good ole rumour, must we :).

aardvark
09-25-2003, 05:06 AM
If more BMW buyers switch to Lexus because BMW does not import a small, budget hatch (why? What can the 1-series possibly have to do with Lexus?) then fine. BMW can stop building lardarse luxury sedans for wieners who like electrically-operated everything, and get back to building cars which go like hell.

Lardarse luxury sedans. :rofl:

Quite true... unfortunately. A lot of folks were hoping that the 1-series would be a back-to-basics BMW, sort of a return to the spirit of the 2002 or E21.

And, who knows? It still might turn out that way. But, then again, maybe not. It's hard to envision a return to the good ol' days when BMW wasn't going after the same buyers as, say, Buick.

But, as you say, it's not like the BMW enthusiast can really turn to Lexus either because, let's face it, Toyota/Lexus is pushing even harder for the former-Buick crowd.

Chris90
09-25-2003, 06:19 AM
Car mags have mentioned a BMW V6 for years - and I noticed BMW NA didn't say "inline six" for the 1 series, just "six cylinder". I wouldn't buy a V6 BMW, ever.
The 318ti was a cheap BMW - old E30 suspension and interior, weak engine, ugly and expensive. The 1 series is none of that, I think the opposite is true - BMW NA is worried it'll take away sales of more profitable BMWs.

I mentioned Lexus for no particular reason - although the IS300 felt sharper than the '01 330 when they both came out - it felt more like my E36 than the 330 did. BMW did improve the 330 since then of course.

V6? Rumour? On several occasions I have read articles featuring BMW honchos saying categorically that BMW will continue with the dynamically superior inline six engine indefinitely, and will reserve Vs for the 8s, 10s and 12s. But hey, we mustn't let that get in the way of a good ole rumour, must we :).

Jay
09-25-2003, 06:20 AM

Hi Dawg,

Regarding the 6-cylinder, it will certainly be a small displacement gasoline inline 6 (in North America). BMW doesn't have a V6 in the product pipe.

Jay

Artslinger
09-25-2003, 06:40 AM
BMW would be wise to build a car along the lines of a WRX, and call it a Series 1. Anything short of all out sports car would be a mistake. But, the 1 Series seems to be a attempt by BMW to build a slightly smaller less powerful and lower quality 3 Series. This will do two things, take buyers away from the 3 Series, and give the BMW brand a less higher end image.

BMW seems to be targeting the Nissan and Toyota demographics but at slightly higher price... bad move. BMW better fix its reliability problems if they will be going after the mid-priced Japanese cars, when you have techs making 120 bucks an hour and a unreliable car in a lower income demographic you could have problems attracting a large number of buyers in the mid-range car category. Less demand in a lower to mid-priced catagory, less cars being produced, equals more expensive cars to build.

I guess in this day and age with every car maker building a SUV, it is time for BMW test a lower end vehicle. Sh!t what's next a BMW encono box.

Chris90
09-25-2003, 06:46 AM
I think BMW feels that to progress as a car company, it has to compete with VW Group and expand production - if it stays small, it could get bought out. Best way to do that is to build a Golf competitor - which is a huge market for Europe.
With the 1 series coming, the 3 series is moving upscale - bigger, softer, more luxurious - that will necessitate making at least some variants of the 1 series very sporty, to keep the interest of enthusiasts. So I expect it'll be pretty fun to drive.

OBS3SSION
09-25-2003, 07:20 AM
Regarding the coupe/sedan/hatch debate... Remember, every body style/engine combination has to pass the US crash test standards. That testing is hugely expensive. If BMW wanted to release a hatch 1er that would only sell a few thousand per year... the cost of testing would outweigh everything else, making it a bad business decision to bring that car over here. Why do you think we don't get all the engine choices and body styles the rest of the world has? I'd kill for a 330iT!

So... I guess you can blame the government for not getting the hatch 1er.

Jay
09-25-2003, 03:20 PM
[QUOTE=OBS3SSION]If BMW wanted to release a hatch 1er that would only sell a few thousand per year... the cost of testing would outweigh everything else[QUOTE]

Good point about the high cost of 1-series hatchback homologation in the U.S. market.

In general I think the 1-series is a good idea. BMW dealers must be dying to get it. The problem with BMW as a brand is that there is no model to step up from. They don't have a Cav or a Focus or a Civic or a ... therefore, they have to rely on word of mouth / fame to get people interested. In other words, to sell a 5-series they need to have an existing 5-series owner (or the media) tell a non-BMW owner that it's a good car.

I assume the 3-series Compact will go away soon? This is just speculation. The problem with the 3-series hatchback was that it was the 3-series you bought if you couldn't afford a 3-series. It was always the ugly step sister in the 3-series lineup.

I think the 1-series can be successful if BMW differentiates it (markets it differently?) from the 3-series, even if they share a lot of hardware underneath. I can see the 1-series being sold as a lightweight, fun, zippy sort of thing. But the 1-series won't work if it ends up being the cheaper 3-series, like the 3-series hatchback all over again. I think the 1-series needs to be its own thing.

Jay