PDA

View Full Version : Replacing front shocks

Rustic
10-22-2009, 12:55 PM
Hi All,
Compressing spring on front shock. Have tried spring compressor, but am not quite sure how tight I can compress the spring. Not alot of room to play with this short spring. Also removing the topnut, looks like an allen in the center but the nut is recessed.
Help please.

Thanks,

Rustic

CarDriver
10-22-2009, 05:12 PM
Hi All,
Compressing spring on front shock. Have tried spring compressor, but am not quite sure how tight I can compress the spring. Not alot of room to play with this short spring. Also removing the topnut, looks like an allen in the center but the nut is recessed.
Help please.

Thanks,

Rustic

The allen hole in the top is to keep the shaft from turning. the shaft nut is 18 to 22 MM depending on the year. You must compress the spring till the presure is off of the strut mount. It is a pain but can be done.

injunmort
10-23-2009, 07:46 AM
i find to make life easiest, an impact gun is essential to change the springs. just did them on my 325.

Rustic
10-24-2009, 06:15 AM
Thanks for the replies. It appears I just need to compress the spring further. The coils will almost be touching.:)

CarDriver
10-24-2009, 07:00 AM
Thanks for the replies. It appears I just need to compress the spring further. The coils will almost be touching.:)

Yes. it is a pain by hand so you gatta keep kranking.

The rears are easy if there are stock springs on it. No spring compressor is neaded. Remove the assembly, Lock a set of brass jawed vice grips on the shock shaft, stand the assembly on the ground and press down on the shock mount to releiv the pressure (Mindfull not to have your fingers in the coils, if your finger are cought between the coils and the bump-stop plate,,, It is going to hurt like hell), remove the nut and slowly let up on the shock mount.

Test this first by pushing down on the mount to see if you have the streangth to easely do it This is not the recomended way it should be done so be very careful and be sure !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rustic
10-24-2009, 06:29 PM
Thanks,
Got an extra set of spring compressors and that did the trick.