PDA

View Full Version : What are Chris Bangle's qualifications?

alee
09-15-2003, 12:10 PM
Does anyone have any detailed history/background on Bangle, where he came from, how he ended up with BMW and his qualifications for his current job?

bmw325
09-15-2003, 12:14 PM
Check this link out for a quick overview:
http://home.planet.nl/~molen145/smalltalkchrisbangle.html

Basically, he started at Opel, then went to Fiat and finally to BMW. A lot of people may not realize how long he's been at BMW (since 92)-- he's only recently begun "spreading his wings".

TD
09-15-2003, 12:27 PM
Check this link out for a quick overview:
http://home.planet.nl/~molen145/smalltalkchrisbangle.html

Basically, he started at Opel, then went to Fiat and finally to BMW. A lot of people may not realize how long he's been at BMW (since 92)-- he's only recently begun "spreading his wings".
Would this be a good time to re-post that pic of the Fiat Multipla?

alee
09-15-2003, 12:32 PM
I assume that was the fair warning before posting the pic? I'm game.

Alex Baumann
09-15-2003, 12:33 PM

I knew that he's been at BMW since '92, but I really want to know what happened to him during these 10 years that the current designs suck :D

Alex Baumann
09-15-2003, 12:35 PM
BTW, also check this link http://www.fiatcoupe.net/reading/history/reading_birth.htm

compare Pininfarina's and his drawings. :eek:

SARAFIL
09-15-2003, 12:37 PM
where he came from,

The good ol' United States of America. More specifically, somewhere in the Midwest, I think. :dunno:

Alex Baumann
09-15-2003, 12:38 PM
The good ol' United States of America. More specifically, somewhere in the Midwest, I think. :dunno:

Ravenna, Ohio

SARAFIL
09-15-2003, 12:39 PM
Ravenna, Ohio

Yeah, I saw the link after I replied.

The Roadstergal
09-15-2003, 12:44 PM
A lot of people may not realize how long he's been at BMW (since 92)-- he's only recently begun "spreading his wings".

I dunno - the E46 has a lot of Banglish overtones. The large rear end, the curved tail-lights, the sloped front grille...

The HACK
09-15-2003, 01:08 PM
Ravenna, Ohio

I also believe he's educated at Art Center, either the Pasadena campus or the European campus in France?

Alex Baumann
09-15-2003, 01:10 PM
I also believe he's educated at Art Center, either the Pasadena campus or the European campus in France?

Yes, Pasadena Art Center. Not a dumb guy, that's for sure.

leshik
09-15-2003, 01:28 PM
I knew that he's been at BMW since '92, but I really want to know what happened to him during these 10 years that the current designs suck :D

I think that BMW top management met sometime 95-97 and decided it was time for a radically new philosophy in design of their cars. They considered that option and the option of staying conservative and creating more or less carbon copies across the model line. They decided to 'move into 21st century', a stupid cliche that many people have used. Thus, they decided that every car in their lineup will look different, keeping family resemblance and certain elements similar. Like they have said, that 7 and Z4 are two polar oposites, and the rest of bmw lineup will fit somewhere in between.

although designs could probably be better, i still think they are better than audi exterior designs. even now i have hard time distinguishing between a4 and a6 and new a8 could also be easily mistaken for an a6.

bmw325
09-15-2003, 02:20 PM

Check this thread out for a great (and horrific) pic. Hadn't realized that the Chris Bangle was also reponsible for this -- TD pointed that out to me. I think that you will be even more afraid for the future of BMW design after you view this:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40173&page=2&pp=25&highlight=official+ugly

The Roadstergal
09-15-2003, 02:23 PM
I think that you will be even more afraid for the future of BMW design

I didn't know I was afraid. :D The future is looking good.

bmw325
09-15-2003, 02:25 PM
I didn't know I was afraid. :D The future is looking good.

I knew I could count on you to put in a good word for Bangle. :)
HOnestly-- do you think the Multipla looks good?

The Roadstergal
09-15-2003, 02:32 PM
HOnestly-- do you think the Multipla looks good?

Nope. And it's not a BMW. ;)

The Z4 is awesome. I'm seeing them around town a lot, and man, they are sexy. I hope they do make a Z2.

The 'same sausage, different lengths' was decent for some years, but I do like having the styling tuned to the autos. SSDL failed pretty badly with the E39.

Lord knows I love the E30, and I'm happy to see BMW hasn't ceased to be appealing.

Artslinger
09-15-2003, 03:36 PM
I will wait until the final design of the '05 3 Series comes out before I make final a judgment on Bangle's career as Head of BMW Global Design.

Its not looking to good after seeing the new 5 Series.

Cowboy Bebop
09-15-2003, 04:23 PM
How did He get the Job... Remember it's not WHO you know, but Who... well you know the rest.
All I can assume is that he is Really, Really Good!

The Roadstergal
09-15-2003, 04:46 PM
I will wait until the final design of the '05 3 Series comes out before I make final a judgment on Bangle's career as Head of BMW Global Design.

Its not looking to good after seeing the new 5 Series.

Why should that impact on his career? It may impact on your love of BMW and your buying of the car, but the magnitude of sales to people who like them will determine his career.

richard
09-15-2003, 06:12 PM
In a way I'm happy and sad at the same time. I'm happy that my first BMW is the E46. I love the look. I'm said because the direction the 5 and 7 series will probably carry over to the 3, which means my first Bimmer will be my last.

Matthew330Ci
09-15-2003, 10:10 PM
although designs could probably be better, i still think they are better than audi exterior designs. even now i have hard time distinguishing between a4 and a6 and new a8 could also be easily mistaken for an a6.

so i'm not the only one who thinks that way. all audis look the same.

Artslinger
09-16-2003, 05:12 AM
Why should that impact on his career? It may impact on your love of BMW and your buying of the car, but the magnitude of sales to people who like them will determine his career.

No I don't think my final opinions posted on bimmerfest will decide if Bangle is still employed with BMW in '05. :rofl: :confused:

Jayhox
09-16-2003, 11:18 AM
I think the Z4 is boring and plain.
I think the E39 didn't need a single update (good for another 20 years).
I think we should stick with the early 80's 3-series design.
I think Audi is right-on reissuing the same basic design again and again on all models.
I think the Speed Channel test of the new 5-Series did NOT excite me at all.
I think the new 7-Series has a poor "presence" when I see one on the road.

I think I am now finished being in "sarcastic mode." :p

ALEX325i
09-16-2003, 10:23 PM
BTW, also check this link http://www.fiatcoupe.net/reading/history/reading_birth.htm

compare Pininfarina's and his drawings. :eek:

I believe some of those drawings ended up giving Fiat ideas for a different model: Fiat Brava...

LeucX3
09-17-2003, 11:30 AM
so i'm not the only one who thinks that way. all audis look the same.

Is this a bad thing? I happen to like their designs a lot, ever since the 5000 back in the 80s.

bmw325
09-17-2003, 11:40 AM
I know you're being sarcastic and trying to show how ridiculous we are being for not liking the Bangle designs--- but I don't think you captured our views accurately...

I think the Z4 is boring and plain.
NO one ever said it was boring and plain-- quite the oppostie. Its cartoonish and freakish.

I think the E39 didn't need a single update (good for another 20 years).
No the E39 could stand to have quite a few updates. That doesn't mean that the e60 is a good design.

I think we should stick with the early 80's 3-series design.
I'm sure there are some who think that-- but the majority of us "bangle haters" like almost all BMWs up to the current generation. Personally, I think the e46 is one of the best looking BMWs ever-- but BMW seems to throwing ALL of htat "good DNA" away w/ their latest designs.

I think Audi is right-on reissuing the same basic design again and again on all models.
Since all Audis are well-designed-- I think that's fine. I don't see why consistency across the line is such a bad thing. And, its fine if BMW wants to make their differnet series more distinct from each other. But, that doesn't mean they had to make them ugly and freakish.

I think the Speed Channel test of the new 5-Series did NOT excite me at all.
No one is denying that the new BMWs including the 5 perform very well. That's their one saving grace. But, BMWs have traditionally been about balancing good design, performance, pracitcality, and luxury in 1 car. The 5 may get the performance, and practicality aspects-- but that's abbout it.

I think the new 7-Series has a poor "presence" when I see one on the road.
Same as the Z4-- no one is denying it has presence. We're just saying that its an ugly presence. Someone who ways 600 pounds and has 3 eyes would have presence too- doesn't mean that they look good.