PDA

View Full Version : Head lights turning off?

andrewdrafts
10-24-2009, 07:47 PM
Over the past few days my headlights will occasionally just switch off. If I drive for about an hour, it generally only happens once. It also has only seemed to do it while I'm stopped at a light or stop sign. No notifications from the car have lit up or displayed anything wrong, and the problem is generally solved by switching all of the lights on and off a few times. I don't know if the tail lights also turn off, but the turn indicator lights do stay on.

Has anyone else has this problem?

BrothaMansWhip2
10-24-2009, 07:49 PM
i would say the LKM because it deals exclusively with the headlamps

CarDriver
10-26-2009, 09:32 AM
It could be the LKM. It is it is easy to Tell once you remove it from the car and look at the boards inside. Every thing you need to know about that is at the link below.

http://www.bmwe34.net/Wiki/tiki-index.php?page=LKM+and+Relay

silverturbo
10-29-2009, 05:26 PM
What about a short in the wires or the fuse? is it posiable that they can over heat and shut the fuse off =ing no head lights?

E36 Phantom
10-29-2009, 07:45 PM
If the fuse blew it wouldn't turn on again until he replaced the fuse. Not too familiar with E34s yet, but the LKM is a likely target.

attack eagle
11-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Lkm.

or switch.

rednatasha
08-24-2010, 12:03 PM
hello guys,
well i get the same exact thing as the first member mentioned. Ill actually drive the car les than 15 mins (its only happepned twice to me) and my headlights die. When i turn on the car i turn on my headlights and my fog lights, when the headlights die, my fog lights stay on and im not sure if the parking lights stay on (im driving when this happens, lol). My instrument cluster lights stay on as well. ill toggle the headlights switch a few times and sometimes my headlights will come on but other times i just drive with my fog lights on and the headlights just eventually come back....not fun in the dark.

i have not tried the soldering technique but i will make that this weekends project.

ill keep you guys postd to my success or failure.

thanks,
robert