PDA

View Full Version : Hard-wiring Radar Detector

geeek204
10-25-2009, 01:49 PM
Has one one successfully done this? I know in my e46 I was able to access the upper panel where the sunroof switch was and tap into one of the +12v switched wires. Has anyone explored this area on their new F01/02?

I also have heard of some problems with radar detectors and the blind spot detection system, can anyone confirm this?

BMR2009
10-25-2009, 04:58 PM
I have hard-wired my Valentine I in my Lexus, and have every intention of doing the 7. I need the electrical schematic of the wiring system, or I can use my probe system to track down the right wires. I had to probe it with my LS.

I have heard it is a problem with the lane departure system, and turning it off will solve the problem. A friend has the LDS and it sets off his V1 constantly. I don't know if this is with every car, but I would test the detector first.

I will post the process once I get my car.

geeek204
10-25-2009, 06:28 PM
I have hard-wired my Valentine I in my Lexus, and have every intention of doing the 7. I need the electrical schematic of the wiring system, or I can use my probe system to track down the right wires. I had to probe it with my LS.

I have heard it is a problem with the lane departure system, and turning it off will solve the problem. A friend has the LDS and it sets off his V1 constantly. I don't know if this is with every car, but I would test the detector first.

Sweet, thanks BMR2009, looking forward to that DIY!! Would be something that could definitely pay off in the future! As for the interference from the LDS, that's no big deal, I hardly ever use that feature anyways.

SleepTight
10-26-2009, 07:33 AM

Wait, the lane departure system also sets off a Valentine? I thought the lane departure system used a video camera. http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/technology/technology_guide/articles/lane_departure_warning.html Since the system can be switched off, will it still trigger the radar detector in off mode?

Regardless, there's now two different options to avoid in the 7 if you live and die by your radar detector--active cruise control and the driver assistance package. Neither one's a deal breaker for me, but it sure is nice to know these things.

BMR2009
10-26-2009, 01:52 PM
I can't say it will set off all radar detectors, nor have I witnessed this, but I have heard it from more than one source.

Also, you don't have to order the lane departure option, or you can just turn it off if this is an anomoly that you experience. I chose not to order it as I didn't see it as an option I would like to have.