PDA

View Full Version : lane line vs. track line

nate
09-15-2003, 08:52 PM
Does anyone else with some track experience feel a bit uneasy driving quickly down windy two lane roads, simply because you cannot take the proper line through the corner? Otherwords, you cannot be as smooth as you like, or take the proper speed, make the right apex, etc....

:dunno:

Nick325xiT 5spd
09-15-2003, 08:57 PM
Yes, especially on the really tight one where other drivers seem to have trouble staying on their side.

EdCT
09-15-2003, 09:07 PM
Does anyone else with some track experience feel a bit uneasy driving quickly down windy two lane roads, simply because you cannot take the proper line through the corner? Otherwords, you cannot be as smooth as you like, or take the proper speed, make the right apex, etc....

This is made even more difficult up here in New england as we have so many trees lining our roads blocking our view ( I wouldn't trade 'em, though, they're quite beautiful).

We also have tremendous elevation changes. Driving fast on public roads is quite risky around here.

About the only place I can practice taking a line is on freeway on/off ramps.

Ed

Plaz
09-15-2003, 09:29 PM
This is made even more difficult up here in New england as we have so many trees lining our roads blocking our view ( I wouldn't trade 'em, though, they're quite beautiful).

We also have tremendous elevation changes. Driving fast on public roads is quite risky around here.

About the only place I can practice taking a line is on freeway on/off ramps.

Ed

Not to mention the obscene over-abundance of speed traps. :mad:

I think the most fun I've had driving in the northeast was on Rtes. 7 and 100 up in Western VT.

TGray5
09-15-2003, 09:47 PM

Well, sure it would be a lot easier if one could use the whole road, but I just view my lane as the entirety of the "track", unless there is good visibility and I can safely use the other lane too. But, the crown in the road can make it pretty tricky to be using the whole road.

Another way to look at it is that real racing also requires you to compromise your line quite often depending on other cars...not so much the case in F1, but look for example at speedvision touring class where there is a lot of traffic and passing.

racerdave
09-15-2003, 09:59 PM
Like Steel Gray says, use your lane as the "whole road." Try to run your line though your lane only. It'll make you more precise, and you'll be safer too, especially on those blind corners.

doeboy
09-15-2003, 10:05 PM
Well, sure it would be a lot easier if one could use the whole road, but I just view my lane as the entirety of the "track", unless there is good visibility and I can safely use the other lane too. But, the crown in the road can make it pretty tricky to be using the whole road.

Another way to look at it is that real racing also requires you to compromise your line quite often depending on other cars...not so much the case in F1, but look for example at speedvision touring class where there is a lot of traffic and passing.

That's what I usually do when practicing my line...

When I was coming down the twisty section of PCH, a couple months ago I was doing that... watching my line while looking ahead and using up the whole lane...

EdCT
09-16-2003, 03:24 PM
Not to mention the obscene over-abundance of speed traps. :mad:

I think the most fun I've had driving in the northeast was on Rtes. 7 and 100 up in Western VT.

Yes, great roads. I was up there twice this summer.

Also, the Berkshires has nice roads and route 22 up through ny state is wonderful.

Ed

Pinecone
09-17-2003, 01:13 AM
Count me as one who uses my lane as the "whole track width". Works well for practicing my line and smooths things out as much as possible on public roads.