PDA

View Full Version : If anyone wants a Red/Red M3 w/SMG...

MikeW
12-28-2001, 10:51 AM
There's one sitting on the floor at Manhattan BMW, apparently unspoken for. Be the first on your block...

For some reason I felt the need to walk over there at lunch and torture myself.

hts
12-28-2001, 11:08 AM
And if so, thoughts on smg?

IndyMike
12-28-2001, 11:25 AM
and how much over MSRP are they asking?

Oh, and do they have a layaway plan:)

nate
12-28-2001, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by IndyMike
and how much over MSRP are they asking?

Oh, and do they have a layaway plan:)

I'll bet they are asking MSRP. I believe that BMW of Manhattan is owned by BMWNA.

MikeW
12-28-2001, 12:05 PM
No, I didn't test drive it. I was torturing myself enough by just looking at it. The best I can realistically pull off is a 330 (which also works better for me in the way that I'd use it). If I drove the M3 I might have to do something silly and irrational, like buy it.

Another customer was with a sales droid looking at it. I managed to sneek in the question about whether it was spoken for or not. He said he thought it was available. I didn't get in, or overhear, any questions about pricing.

Patrick
12-28-2001, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by nate328Ci

I'll bet they are asking MSRP. I believe that BMW of Manhattan is owned by BMWNA.

Ouch. Take AmEx Platinum with you on your next lunch break ... beats thumbs screws and hot coals during any two Martini lunch break.

Patrick

Patrick
12-28-2001, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by nate328Ci

I just checked bmw.fi for their list price on a M3 - taxes included, but no extra equipment added: at 6.5 FIM/USD the cost is $89,000 USD (convertible, add $4,000 USD). This is the wrong country to live in if you want an expensive car - or one with a soft top.

NOT a case in point: my neighbor bought a M5 a week before I "splurged" on my 320d. It has a lot of extras on board, all for a grand total of $107,000 USD. I gave him money to buy me a Lotto ticket. But since he is now homeless and needs social support to buy gasoline, I guess that was money wasted. Recently, we have had snow and weather that could freeze Hell over: the M5 hasn't moved for the last 10 days!

I hope he has Webasto in there to keep him warm at night ...

Patrick

hts
12-28-2001, 12:28 PM
And you say he's unemployed and collecting on the government dole? Do they give him enough to make his car payments, or did he pay cash?

Patrick
12-28-2001, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by hts
And you say he's unemployed and collecting on the government dole? Do they give him enough to make his car payments, or did he pay cash?

It's Friday, I kid ...

;) No, I don't think he is working for the STATE, although things in this country are so funny that it would be possible to be bankrupt and unemployed AND still drive a M5. Don't get me started ...

He is a nice guy with a dream car, but I was offended to see his M5 burried with about 2 feet of snow around it (up to the door handles!) - I wanted to go and dig it out as a kind BMW gesture ... I mean, parking a car like that on the street at night! Maybe I should rent him my garage space. That might pay for my Xenon retrofit!

WEBASTO:

Webasto is a modern gasoline heater that is pre-programable from either inside the car or by remote control (even from a WAP mobile phone here in Finland - NOKIA!). It uses fuel (gas or diesel depending on the application) directly from the gas tank to heat both the interior of the car and the engine. Webasto is one manufacturer of these heaters (Eberspacher is another - if any of you ever drove VW Beetles, you may know that name).

Having BMW fit a factory Webasto on your BMW is expensive. It is also vey warm, which is a good thing with a modern BMW diesel engine. There is very little heat left over to help get things hot inside the car once the diesel engine is warm. However, BMW has developed an electrical resistance assist heater to help the E46 diesels when it gets damn cold for the (apparently) 4 diesel owners in the world. :D Many E39's here in northeastern Europe also have this heater help as I was told.

Sorry for the sarcasm, I just watched an old episode of Seinfeld and George really gets to me.

Another version of this is made by DEFA (I think from Norway). They make a kit that heats the engine oil, circulates heated water/anti-freeze/coolant around the water jacket that surrounds the engine case, pre-charges the battery for extreme cold starts and in some cases, allows for a normal stationary heater to be plugged in to the inside of the vehicle. This is the cheaper option vs Webasto from BMW. You must plug your car into something - your house, a pole with electricity or something, to get power to this unit.

I have the DEFA Warm Up System. If it has been plugged in for 3 hours when the outdoor temperature is -10C, my glow plug burns for about 2 seconds before I can start the engine. This also gets the cat warm quickly and makes for better fuel economy. Very nice.

There you have it.

Patrick