PDA

View Full Version : Non-M SMG - info

LMC
09-16-2003, 08:50 AM
Well, I've decided on a 325iT and I've decided on SMG. But I've been unable to find much on the Z4 (soon to be 3er) Magnetti-Marelli variant. The owner's circle Z4 owners manual has the early production (pre-SMG) version.

Have I missed a good explanation of the M-M version SMG?

Does anybody have an English-language link that has a good rundown? Is anybody aware of an online SMG owner's manual?

I haven't really paid attention to the E60 developments, but perhaps the 5er SMG will be operated the same as the Z4 and 3er?

racerdave
09-16-2003, 09:17 AM
I've just been wondering the same thing.

Link please! :)

Kaz
09-16-2003, 09:22 AM
Since the system has been available for some time on E46s in Europe, I'd scour the BMW european sites for technical information on this. Also, IIRC, there was some information posted here in the early days when it was originally called 'SSG.'

TedW
09-16-2003, 12:19 PM
Well, I've decided on a 325iT and I've decided on SMG. But I've been unable to find much on the Z4 (soon to be 3er) Magnetti-Marelli variant. The owner's circle Z4 owners manual has the early production (pre-SMG) version.

Does anybody have an English-language link that has a good rundown? Is anybody aware of an online SMG owner's manual?

I haven't really paid attention to the E60 developments, but perhaps the 5er SMG will be operated the same as the Z4 and 3er?

This may help you a bit.

http://www.bmwworld.com/models/z4/transmissions.htm

Ted

Mr. Sparkle
09-16-2003, 12:25 PM

My Z4 came with a seperate SMG manual.
What would you like to know about it?

LMC
09-16-2003, 02:35 PM
My Z4 came with a seperate SMG manual.
What would you like to know about it?

Uh, oh...pop quiz time....

Everything! :bigpimp:

Actually, as I recollect, the M3 owner's manual, covering a much more complex beast with all those drivelogic programs, covered 6 or so pages of "how to use your SMG." That, I suppose, is what I am really talking about, although I'm interested in tech details, etc., as well.

Is the thing few enough pages to scan/post?

LMC
09-16-2003, 02:39 PM
Yep, that's the basics. Thanks!

Would love to see illustration of shift pattern
R
N
D
M like an automatic?

R-N
D
M like a manual?

This may help you a bit.

http://www.bmwworld.com/models/z4/transmissions.htm

Ted

Pinecone
09-17-2003, 01:17 AM
From looking at a Z4 with it at Homecoming, the shift pattern is the same as the M3 SMG II.

R -
N - D - S
+

With - and + begin down and up shift respectively. You pick the mode (auto/sequential) by moving the lever to the S position and releasing it. It changes from what mode it is in to the other one.

ivan308
09-17-2003, 05:32 AM
Any chance of getting a pdf of the SMG owners manual ?

andy_thomas
09-17-2003, 05:46 AM

My owner's manual has SMG instructions in it (English too). Is there anything you want to know in particular?

LMC
09-17-2003, 01:42 PM
Probably not in particular. I'd just like to see the SMG section. A picture worth a thousand words and all that... :)

Actually driving one would be worth a million words, huh? I suppose I should try to make time to try to find a car to try out.

My owner's manual has SMG instructions in it (English too). Is there anything you want to know in particular?

Chocaine
09-17-2003, 02:41 PM
Here's a picture of it since its easier to see the shift pattern this way:

LMC
09-17-2003, 02:52 PM
Excellent! Thanks!

Here's a picture of it since its easier to see the shift pattern this way:

LMC
09-20-2003, 10:52 AM
I think there are quite a few bimmerfesters who would love to see a scan of the SSG (non-M SMG) owner's manual or instruction booklet. Would any kind soul be able to post that? Please?

Mr. Sparkle
09-22-2003, 09:17 AM
I think there are quite a few bimmerfesters who would love to see a scan of the SSG (non-M SMG) owner's manual or instruction booklet. Would any kind soul be able to post that? Please?

I'll try to get to it tonight (while watching Monday night football).

AB
09-22-2003, 09:34 AM
I'll try to get to it tonight (while watching Monday night football).

OT hijack: Who is going to win the game tonight, Sparkle? By how much?

Mr. Sparkle
09-22-2003, 09:57 AM
OT hijack: Who is going to win the game tonight, Sparkle? By how much?

I think Denver will win big. 10+ points.

AB
09-22-2003, 10:19 AM
I think Denver will win big. 10+ points.

I hope you are right. I bet a 4-team parlay card for $10 on Friday, and so far, my first 3 picks have won (UNLV -.5, Vikings -3.5, Steelers -4.5). If the Broncos win by more than 5 points tonight, I collect $110. :D

Mr. Sparkle
09-22-2003, 06:00 PM
Here it is:

LMC
09-22-2003, 06:42 PM
Thanks Mr. Sparkle! Got it!

Here it is:

racerdave
09-22-2003, 09:20 PM
Oh man! How cool is that!

Awesome Mr. Sparkle! Thanks!

PS -- Your sig makes me laugh everytime I see it (and think of the Mr. Sparkle episode) :D

Mr. Sparkle
09-23-2003, 08:13 AM
I hope you are right. I bet a 4-team parlay card for $10 on Friday, and so far, my first 3 picks have won (UNLV -.5, Vikings -3.5, Steelers -4.5). If the Broncos win by more than 5 points tonight, I collect $110. :D

Easy game. :thumbup: