PDA

View Full Version : How tough is it to import a 330iT?

mbr129
09-16-2003, 12:31 PM
I mean, the chassis is already for sale on the 325iT, and the mechanicals are the same as in the 330i. So assuming you had the money to spend and the desire, there should not be any legal roadblocks, right? Or am I missing a blantantly obvious piece of information here? :confused:

I am just curious. I am not interested in doing it. This applies to other brands as well.

Mr. The Edge
09-16-2003, 12:32 PM
Just wait for the X3 3.0

:D :D :D

mbr129
09-16-2003, 12:34 PM
Just wait for the X3 3.0

:D :D :D

No way! :spank:

:D

Actually, if I ever did it, it would be in case MB never offers the 320 CDI engine on the E-class wagon. So far it is only planned for the sedan.

Kaz
09-16-2003, 12:36 PM
Well, since a 'US spec' version of one doesn't exist, I don't think it would be possible without going through the federalization process. And since it's not limited production or otherwise fit into Show&Display status, that won't work either. I think it would be easiest (though not a 100% conversion) to have a drivetrain swap done (something that has crossed my mind). Really, if you price it out, it wouldn't cost much more than if a 330iT was actually sold here.

Anybody know of any wrecked ZHPs? :D

mbr129
09-16-2003, 12:42 PM
Well, since a 'US spec' version of one doesn't exist, I don't think it would be possible without going through the federalization process. And since it's not limited production or otherwise fit into Show&Display status, that won't work either. I think it would be easiest (though not a 100% conversion) to have a drivetrain swap done (something that has crossed my mind). Really, if you price it out, it wouldn't cost much more than if a 330iT was actually sold here.

Anybody know of any wrecked ZHPs? :D

Hmmm, that sucks. Good point about the "swap". It will be tough to do on a MB E-Class.

Don't wait around for mine to get wrecked! :D

tgravo2
09-16-2003, 12:43 PM
If you can get the car to float, then you might be able to get it here :D

Kaz
09-16-2003, 12:46 PM
Hmmm, that sucks. Good point about the "swap". It will be tough to do on a MB E-Class.

Don't wait around for mine to get wrecked! :D

I'm sure going from gas to diesel won't be easy.

mbr129
09-16-2003, 12:47 PM
I'm sure going from gas to diesel won't be easy.

Exactly. :(

OBS3SSION
09-16-2003, 12:49 PM
Had they offered the 330i with the wagon body... there's no doubt in my mind that's what I'd be driving right now.

BMW, ARE YOU LISTENING!?

And no... I WILL NOT buy an X3, nor ANY SUV/SAV or whatever for that matter.

Alex Baumann
09-16-2003, 12:49 PM
How though is it to import a ZHP ? :angel: :D

LMC
09-16-2003, 12:52 PM
Great idea! Taken just a little further...

(1) Buy (bare-bones) 325iT
(2) Buy 330i of your choice
(3) Give both to The Hack.
(4) Come back in a week to pick up your brand-new 330iT!
Piece o' cake!!! :D :thumbup: :angel:

I think it would be easiest (though not a 100% conversion) to have a drivetrain swap done (something that has crossed my mind).

325iT 27K + 330i 39K = $66,000 Hey! Same price as in Finland! :yikes:

mbr129
09-16-2003, 12:53 PM
Had they offered the 330i with the wagon body... there's no doubt in my mind that's what I'd be driving right now.

BMW, ARE YOU LISTENING!?

And no... I WILL NOT buy an X3, nor ANY SUV/SAV or whatever for that matter.

I wrote to M-B and told them it made no sense to not offer the CDI on the E-Class wagon and how I would be very interested. This was their (surprisingy quick) reply:

"Dear Mr. XXXXXXXXXXX,

Thank you for your recent internet inquiry.

We appreciate you taking the time to provide your comments regarding
suggestions for diesel models which should be offered in the U.S. in
the
future, as this can only help to strengthen our product. The input we
receive from customers is vital to our efforts, and your comments will
be
shared with the appropriate individuals within our company.

If we can be of any further assistance, please feel free to e-mail us
again
or call us at
1-800-FOR-MERCedes (1-800-367-6372).

Sincerely,

Heidi Martin
Consumer Promotions
Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC"

Who knows what that will do. It's my little grain of sand.

mbr129
09-16-2003, 12:54 PM

I am sure you could sell the rest of the parts on Ebay to curb some of the cost... meaning pay for HACK's labor. ;) :D

TD
09-16-2003, 12:55 PM
I wrote to M-B and told them it made no sense to not offer the CDI on the E-Class wagon and how I would be very interested. This was their (surprisingy quick) reply:

"Dear Mr. XXXXXXXXXXX,

Thank you for your recent internet inquiry.

We appreciate you taking the time to provide your comments regarding
suggestions for diesel models which should be offered in the U.S. in
the
future, as this can only help to strengthen our product. The input we
receive from customers is vital to our efforts, and your comments will
be
shared with the appropriate individuals within our company.

If we can be of any further assistance, please feel free to e-mail us
again
or call us at
1-800-FOR-MERCedes (1-800-367-6372).

Sincerely,

Heidi Martin
Consumer Promotions
Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC"

Who knows what that will do. It's my little grain of sand.
Wow. That's sounds exactly as useless as the typical BMWNA reply. In fact, I think that exact wording was used in response to a "why don't you offer XYZ" question directed at them. Maybe they use the same reply-bot.

mbr129
09-16-2003, 12:57 PM
Wow. That's sounds exactly as useless as the typical BMWNA reply. In fact, I think that exact wording was used in response to a "why don't you offer XYZ" question directed at them. Maybe they use the same reply-bot.

Wouldn't surprise me. :tsk:

TD
09-16-2003, 12:58 PM
What would actually make a smidgen of sense would be to take a 2000 323iT (which used the M52TU engine) and swap in the S52US that was in the US-spec E36M3s and pre-2001 M coupe/roadsters. I believe the engine management stuff was all essentially the same AND there is no DBW throttle.

Hell, I might even do this one day.

Jetfire
09-16-2003, 01:06 PM
What would actually make a smidgen of sense would be to take a 2000 323iT (which used the M52TU engine) and swap in the S52US that was in the US-spec E36M3s and pre-2001 M coupe/roadsters. I believe the engine management stuff was all essentially the same AND there is no DBW throttle.

That would be an easy swap. And pulling engines is actually quite easy.

mbr129
09-16-2003, 01:07 PM

There you go TD. Now you just need to find a 323iT with a fried engine and a totalled rear-ended E36M3 and Presto! :thumbup: :D

You could get them both for under 30K combined if the stars align.

Tanning machine
09-16-2003, 01:11 PM
I mean, the chassis is already for sale on the 325iT, and the mechanicals are the same as in the 330i. So assuming you had the money to spend and the desire, there should not be any legal roadblocks, right? Or am I missing a blantantly obvious piece of information here? :confused:

I am just curious. I am not interested in doing it. This applies to other brands as well.

If I had the money, my desire would be sufficiently low that I'd pick up a 540 touring instead.

mbr129
09-16-2003, 01:32 PM
I found this site.

http://www.foreignborn.com/visas_imm/entering_us/7importingyourcar.htm#safety

It seems besides paying for your own shipping, hiring an importer, and having the car pass emissions (I am sure this isn't necessarily cheap), there shouldn't be a problem since everything else conforms.

TD
09-16-2003, 01:33 PM
If I had the money, my desire would be sufficiently low that I'd pick up a 540 touring instead.
But then you still need to pay for a 6-spd MT conversion. And that'll run you $8-9K.

TD
09-16-2003, 01:34 PM
I found this site.

http://www.foreignborn.com/visas_imm/entering_us/7importingyourcar.htm#safety

It seems besides paying for your own shipping, hiring an importer, and having the car pass emissions (I am sure this isn't necessarily cheap), there shouldn't be a problem since everything else conforms.
Actually, federalization generally runs $10-15K. You need to swap out a lot of stuff, mostly downgrading Euro-spec stuff down to US specs.

You can import any car you want, you just need to federalize it.

mbr129
09-16-2003, 01:41 PM
Actually, federalization generally runs $10-15K. You need to swap out a lot of stuff, mostly downgrading Euro-spec stuff down to US specs.

You can import any car you want, you just need to federalize it.

But it seems it runs that much because of the changes needed to make them pass. Such as trying to make a Euro-spec E36M3 conform to US standards. Are there ANY differences between a German-spec 330i and a US-spec 330i besides badges/labels?

If not, then the costs are what are mentioned above, which will surely run to a few 1000's but not 10-15K. Again, maybe I am totally wrong. :eeps:

The HACK
09-16-2003, 01:41 PM

Hm...Might not be a bad business proposition. A SCTS (So. Cal. Tech Session) 330iT conversion package...

Bring any 325iT or 323iT, we'll source the engine and transmission and do a full 330iT conversion. Heck, we can even make 330iT ZHP conversions. Re-badging is free. :D

How much do you think this would cost? Even with a new engine we're still only looking at what, about 10K in parts (engine/ecu combo, tranny, diff possibly) and probably about 2 weeks labor? Just need to take it back to a dealership to get the ECU and odometer re-coded. :thumbup:

What about it Kaz? :bigpimp:

Tanning machine
09-16-2003, 01:43 PM
But then you still need to pay for a 6-spd MT conversion. And that'll run you $8-9K.

Eh, good point. But couldn't BMWNA be bought off for less to allow the delete of the standard auto tranny?

mbr129
09-16-2003, 01:44 PM
Eh, good point. But couldn't BMWNA be bought off for less to allow the delete of the standard auto tranny?

Good luck with that. :tsk:

TD
09-16-2003, 01:48 PM
But it seems it runs that much because of the changes needed to make them pass. Such as trying to make a Euro-spec E36M3 conform to US standards. Are there ANY differences between a German-spec 330i and a US-spec 330i besides badges/labels?

If not, then the costs are what are mentioned above, which will surely run to a few 1000's but not 10-15K. Again, maybe I am totally wrong. :eeps:
It's more than you think.

I can't think of everything you are missing. The only item that springs to mind is replacing the gauges with MPH gauges.

TD
09-16-2003, 01:49 PM
It's a separate EPA certification. To import one requires going through the federalization process mentioned int his thread.

Or you can do a tranny swap on a slushbox copy already here.

TD
09-16-2003, 01:50 PM
Hm...Might not be a bad business proposition. A SCTS (So. Cal. Tech Session) 330iT conversion package...

Bring any 325iT or 323iT, we'll source the engine and transmission and do a full 330iT conversion. Heck, we can even make 330iT ZHP conversions. Re-badging is free. :D

How much do you think this would cost? Even with a new engine we're still only looking at what, about 10K in parts (engine/ecu combo, tranny, diff possibly) and probably about 2 weeks labor? Just need to take it back to a dealership to get the ECU and odometer re-coded. :thumbup:

What about it Kaz? :bigpimp:
To drop in a M54B30, you'd need to use a 325iT to keep the rewiring to a minimum.

Mr. The Edge
09-16-2003, 01:51 PM

Why not just buy a 328iT when you move to France :D

TD
09-16-2003, 01:54 PM
:flipoff:

Alex Baumann
09-16-2003, 01:55 PM

Hehehe

Mr. The Edge
09-16-2003, 01:56 PM
:flipoff:

another reason to move to France :dunno:

http://www.stationwagon.com/gallery/pictures/1993_BMW_M5.jpg

TD
09-16-2003, 01:59 PM
another reason to move to France :dunno:

http://www.stationwagon.com/gallery/pictures/1993_BMW_M5.jpg
Ah, but there are at least a dozen of those HERE that have been federalized.

If I were rich, I'd have one.

mbr129
09-16-2003, 02:01 PM
It's more than you think.

I can't think of everything you are missing. The only item that springs to mind is replacing the gauges with MPH gauges.

Yeah, I knew about the gauges.

Hopefully they will offer the stupid car in Canada. That would make it a lot easier.

I just don't get it. :confused: Why can't BMW, MB, etc offer these cars as order-only for customers who are purchasing the cars? It is no skin off their backs. The dealers can willingly screw you on trade-ins if they want. Most parts would be common to other existing models, etc. I just don't get it.

EDIT: So maybe they wouldn't necessarily make any money on the move. But at least it would make loyal customers happy.

bmw325
09-16-2003, 02:08 PM
I agree w/ the others- I bet you it would actually be cheaper to buy a US spec 325iT and a 330 engine, and ecu and swap them. You could probably get away with leaving in the 325's Getrag transmission too w/o swapping it for the 330's ZF. Plus, you'd keep the 325's higher geared diff which would give it an extra kick.
I'm thinking that by the time you:
-pay european prices for a 330iT
-pay shipping to the US
-pay some approved company to federalize it
You'll probably end up spending more than just swapping the engine here.
I guess the advantage of importing a whole one is that you'd atleast get the BMW 1 year "world" warranty. If you did a swap--all bets on warranty are off.

TD
09-16-2003, 02:08 PM
Each engine/body/tranny combo requiers separate EPA certification. This certification costs BMW (and the other foreign makers) a lot ($millions) per vehcile. So most (anticipated) low-volume combos don't make the trip.

With respect to a 330iT, BMW apparently did not feel that there would be enough demand to recover the certification costs and/or that at that price point, people would just buy 525iTs instead.

TD
09-16-2003, 02:10 PM
I agree w/ the others- I bet you it would actually be cheaper to buy a US spec 325iT and a 330 engine, and ecu and swap them. You could probably get away with leaving in the 325's Getrag transmission too w/o swapping it for the 330's ZF. Plus, you'd keep the 325's higher geared diff which would give it an extra kick.
I'm thinking that by the time you:
-pay european prices for a 330iT
-pay shipping to the US
-pay some approved company to federalize it
You'll probably end up spending more than just swapping the engine here.
I guess the advantage of importing a whole one is that you'd atleast get the BMW 1 year "world" warranty. If you did a swap--all bets on warranty are off.
Which is why doing it on a soon to be out of warranty 323iT (and dropping the S52 engine in it) makes more sense, IMO.

Kaz
The S52b32US engine -> E46 M52TUb25 car has been tried at least once (at great expense) and was only partially successful. IIRC it worked mechanically but much of the electronics and mechatronics were either no good or partial. The M54b30 (or even S54b32) upgrade from a M54b25 (or 20) seems pretty plausible to me, although there are issues like the differences between the 325 and 330's DSC systems (Continental-Teves vs Bosch) and in turn, ABS systems. If the cost isn't too prohibitive, I'd be up for something along these lines (with a 6MT, even; would work well with the 3.46 rear end).

bmw325
Each engine/body/tranny combo requiers separate EPA certification. This certification costs BMW (and the other foreign makers) a lot ($millions) per vehcile. So most (anticipated) low-volume combos don't make the trip.

With respect to a 330iT, BMW apparently did not feel that there would be enough demand to recover the certification costs and/or that at that price point, people would just buy 525iTs instead.

Yep. Although apparently Audi doesn't have a problem selling 3.0 version of botht their A4 and A6 wagons. Mercedes and Volvo also don't midn importing the "big engine". But BMW buyers are a different breed I guess...

Kaz
09-16-2003, 02:16 PM
Yep. Although apparently Audi doesn't have a problem selling 3.0 version of botht their A4 and A6 wagons. Mercedes and Volvo also don't midn importing the "big engine". But BMW buyers are a different breed I guess...

Audi didn't have a problem selling A4 avants in 1.8T, 2.8/3.0 AND S4 guise. I park next to a black S4 Avant almost daily this summer.

bmw325
09-16-2003, 02:34 PM
Which is why doing it on a soon to be out of warranty 323iT (and dropping the S52 engine in it) makes more sense, IMO.

True. THe 323/S52- makes the most sense. Have you decided what will replace your wife's convertible yet? HOw about a 528- S52?

TD
09-16-2003, 02:37 PM
True. THe 323/S52- makes the most sense. Have you decided what will replace your wife's convertible yet? HOw about a 528- S52?
We decided to keep it and add a third car to the fleet. We're leaning toward a used Saab 9-5 sedan or wagon (5-spd).

Kanuck
09-16-2003, 05:06 PM
Yeah, I knew about the gauges.

Hopefully they will offer the stupid car in Canada. That would make it a lot easier.

AFAIK, no 330iT in Canada either. If they don't think they will get the volume in the US, I doubt they would up here, unless every BMW buyer wanted one.

·clyde·
09-16-2003, 05:28 PM
Conversions have been crossing my mind almost since the day that I took delivery. Watching a few of the Frankenstein cars around here keeps me thinking about it. If I hold onto the wagon long enough, I think that I may make a go of it at some point (talking 6+ years from now). The AWD will only make it more interesting. :D

nate
09-16-2003, 05:41 PM

That is exactly what I was thinking while reading this thread...

There are plenty of S52s around.

Hey, TD, were you still thinking of actually buying a wagon? 323iT?

andy_thomas
09-17-2003, 05:53 AM

Differences? Usually:

trim
cat converter placement
lighting
DME tuning (probably pretty mild differences, 225 hp is pretty much the same as 231 bhp)

No major mechanical differences AFAIK.

pdz
09-17-2003, 08:33 AM
Differences? Usually:

trim
cat converter placement
lighting
DME tuning (probably pretty mild differences, 225 hp is pretty much the same as 231 bhp)

No major mechanical differences AFAIK.

you could save yourself a lot of time and effort and buy the new S4 avant with the v8, hot rod the v8 and work on lightening the car.

honestly.

i mean this because the S-tuned audi will be as competent a handler as the 330iT would be, but it would have a lot more grunt all over the place (the 3.0 litre is a little soft low in the rev range, i think) but you would have to work and think about how to shed some weight from that sucker.

dchen
09-17-2003, 10:36 PM
You might want to check this site out. Different model but same situation. This person wanted a E34 540i wagon but BMW NA didn't import one. So he had one federalized. Interesting read.
http://www.crystaltokyo.com/~jimc/540%20Site/Importation%20Story.htm

mbr129
09-18-2003, 05:57 AM
You might want to check this site out. Different model but same situation. This person wanted a E34 540i wagon but BMW NA didn't import one. So he had one federalized. Interesting read.
http://www.crystaltokyo.com/~jimc/540%20Site/Importation%20Story.htm

That was a great article. Thanks! It is actually just like I figured. This guy spent 4k trying to pass emissions because it was a used car, but a new car should pass without problems. That would save 4k right there. I also wouldn't spend on catalytic converters or O2 sensors.

So it may cost a bit over 5K, but that is not that much for a car you really want. Something to think about over the next few years.

andy_thomas
09-18-2003, 05:57 AM
you could save yourself a lot of time and effort and buy the new S4 avant with the v8, hot rod the v8 and work on lightening the car.

honestly.

i mean this because the S-tuned audi will be as competent a handler as the 330iT would be, but it would have a lot more grunt all over the place (the 3.0 litre is a little soft low in the rev range, i think) but you would have to work and think about how to shed some weight from that sucker.

Sorry. Oil tankers and tarmac don't mix :).

BMW has no rival for the S4 Avant. The 330i Touring is directly comparable to the A4 Avant 3.0, and practically everyone agrees the A4 3.0 (regardless of bodystyle) is a bit of an underachiever.

pdz
09-18-2003, 06:38 AM
Sorry. Oil tankers and tarmac don't mix :).

BMW has no rival for the S4 Avant. The 330i Touring is directly comparable to the A4 Avant 3.0, and practically everyone agrees the A4 3.0 (regardless of bodystyle) is a bit of an underachiever.

right.

we're discussing two separate issues:

1. the a4 avant 3.0. i drove one and it was "fine". had punch. nicer interior. it is for sale in the US whereas the 330iT is not. advantage: audi.

2. the S4 avant. heck, if you want a decent car, you could get this for about $54k. new. warrantied. 340hp. skip the importation and federalization.

3. i think one thing that people are perhaps missing? why isn't anyone talking about supercharging a 325iT? it appears that the kits are getting better, and if you are conscientious about how you do it, you can have a well-tuned car. here is the breakdown:

a. supercharger kit (only ones with intercoolers, for longevity's sake) approx. $5k
b. brakes: approx. 3k
c. upgraded clutch to handle the added power: approx. 800
d. suspension work to match power: approx. $1500

so, if the base for a 325iT is about $32,000, then add $10,000 for about 290hp. no warranty.

see? that S4 avant is looking better 'n better all of the time.

WDC330i
09-18-2003, 08:12 AM
For some reason, I neglected to drive the A4 3.0 wagon before buying the 325xiT. For those who have driven both, how do they compare. Why isn't the Avant 3.0 with sport package the wagon everyone wants? Power figures compare well on paper to the 330i...

Is the Avant default FWD when AWD isn't kicking in?

mbr129
09-18-2003, 08:47 AM
For some reason, I neglected to drive the A4 3.0 wagon before buying the 325xiT. For those who have driven both, how do they compare. Why isn't the Avant 3.0 with sport package the wagon everyone wants? Power figures compare well on paper to the 330i...

That is one of the issues. But I guess it just doens't handle as well. :eeps:

bmw325
09-18-2003, 09:29 AM

Audis w/ the torsen center diff (all except the TT) and the VW Passat are 50/50 split normally. I think the main things people object to are:
-Nose heavy (since it is a FWD based car and the engine hangs out ahead of the front axle)
-Overal heaviness
-Possibly Audis reliability ( I know we often joke about BMW's quality-- but Audis/VWs are much worse).

pdz
09-18-2003, 10:47 AM
Audis w/ the torsen center diff (all except the TT) and the VW Passat are 50/50 split normally. I think the main things people object to are:
-Nose heavy (since it is a FWD based car and the engine hangs out ahead of the front axle)
-Overal heaviness
-Possibly Audis reliability ( I know we often joke about BMW's quality-- but Audis/VWs are much worse).

yep.

have no idea why they are such heavy cars, they don't even hae mechanical locking differentials anywhere anymore...the AWD is structured much like the new BMW xi system.....but it's a standard 50/50 split.

it handled and soaked up bumps pretty well to me on the test drive i had. but that was only in and about natick. :D maybe a truer test would be on more challenging roads in disrepair.

basically for what the price of the 325xiT was well, well equipped, it is about the same price as a lightly optioned a4 avant 3.0 6speed'r.

bmw325
09-18-2003, 11:28 PM
yep.

have no idea why they are such heavy cars, they don't even hae mechanical locking differentials anywhere anymore...the AWD is structured much like the new BMW xi system.....but it's a standard 50/50 split.

it handled and soaked up bumps pretty well to me on the test drive i had. but that was only in and about natick. :D maybe a truer test would be on more challenging roads in disrepair.

basically for what the price of the 325xiT was well, well equipped, it is about the same price as a lightly optioned a4 avant 3.0 6speed'r.

Not sure but--
-Audi might still use a cast-iron block on their V6s (can't rmemeber if they switched to ALuminum)
-THe suspension might not have as much aluminum in it as the 3 series
-the quattro adds about 200 pounds if I remember correctly
-Audi galvansises 100% of the body- not sure how much weight that adds compared w/ the 3 series
-Audi may use less "high strength steel" which can be thinner to save weight

marinakorp
10-08-2003, 10:43 AM

I can tell you that they are a blast... and can be had for under 30k

probably closer to 25 - 28 or so for the 99 e39 (like mine!). I bought mine in the beginning of the year for 28k (a good deal at the time) CPO, etc

Jspeed
10-08-2003, 12:33 PM
Not sure but--
-Audi might still use a cast-iron block on their V6s (can't rmemeber if they switched to ALuminum)

Ya they switched to aluminum block.