PDA

View Full Version : power trunklid....???

bruno787
10-29-2009, 04:19 AM
i have the power trunklid, everytime i pass by a security check and the trunk needs to be opened, i open it using the interior switch but to close, i have to get off the car and push the button on the trunk, is this correct? cant i just close the trunk using the interior switch? the guards here are unfamiliar with power trunk buttons.

also, i have enabled the auto door locks when driving off, and everytime i get out of the car to open the trunk using the trunk handle, it wont open, i have to unlock all doors first using the center dash lock button.

my previous benz allows me to open my trunk from the trunk handle as long as the front doors are opened.

i find this very inconvenient....tsktsk.

BMR2009
10-29-2009, 05:01 AM
You are correct regarding the trunk; you must push the button on the trunk lid to activate the close function.

Can't help you with the other item as I am unsure at this point which functions tie to the lock/unlock button.

esk
10-29-2009, 08:59 AM
I too find the auto lock feauture inconvenient. In fact, its the only thing I'd change about the car at this point. I wish there was a setting that unlocked all the doors when the car was turned off (start/stop button pushed twice) like my previous Cayenne and my wife's Escalade (and most every car out there for that matter). Of course, I could have it set so that the doors do not automatically lock, but I like the safety of having this done automatically.

louser
10-29-2009, 09:19 AM
if u have the key on hand and hold the boot button down it will close by itself without getting out of the vehicle u can also open it from the remote while seated in the car.

second problem cant help

bruno787
10-29-2009, 09:54 AM
if u have the key on hand and hold the boot button down it will close by itself without getting out of the vehicle u can also open it from the remote while seated in the car.

second problem cant help

very good point!!!! :banghead: i sound so dumb!

since the key is just lying around, ill try to use the trunk button to open/close it while seated inside. second, if i should go out and open the trunk from the outside, ill just have to put the key in my pocket and the trunk should open from the outside as per comfort access feature. gonna give it a try in a few hours!!!!!

idworkin
10-29-2009, 03:22 PM
...also, i have enabled the auto door locks when driving off, and everytime i get out of the car to open the trunk using the trunk handle, it wont open, i have to unlock all doors first using the center dash lock button.

When the auto lock feature is on, you need to pull the door handle twice for it to unlock. Not sure why BMW did this, but this is the 3rd bimmer I've had and they've all worked the same way. It is somewhat entertaining to watch people that are not familiar with the 'double pump' struggle to get out of the car :)

bruno787
10-29-2009, 09:04 PM
tried both solutions early today and it works!!!!!

1. to remotely close auto trunk while inside the car, press key trunk button.

2. to open trunk personally outside the car with driver's door open all other doors locked, bring key in pocket.

both problems solved!!!!

bcool
11-01-2009, 11:33 PM
tried both solutions early today and it works!!!!!

1. to remotely close auto trunk while inside the car, press key trunk button.

2. to open trunk personally outside the car with driver's door open all other doors locked, bring key in pocket.

both problems solved!!!!

I tried to remotely close auto trunk while inside the car but doesn't seem to work. Hmmm. Am I doing something wrong?

bruno787
11-02-2009, 06:22 AM
press then hold the button until trunk closes....

hayden
11-02-2009, 07:00 AM

Tried that also. Maybe it doesn't work for US spec F01/F02s?

BMR2009
11-05-2009, 04:15 PM
That function is not operable in the US/Canada.

I wonder if you change the country code if some of the functions we find disabled, become enabled. Does anyone have experience doing this?

You know there will be a "hack" for it in no time. However, I will only consider mild, unobtrusive, options on my 100k car at this time.

asaseaban
11-05-2009, 04:25 PM

The remote key fob and the trunk button inside the car actually controls the latch that lock and unlock the trunk. It does not control the motor that opens and close the trunk.

To test this, open the trunk and depress the trunk icon on the remote key OR the trunk button inside the car for about 2 seconds and you can hear the trunk latch clicking/releasing (lock/unlock) the mechanical lock. However, when you push the trunk close button inside the trunk, it activates the motor which causes the trunk to close.

Maybe the auto trunk close from the remote key fob and trunk button inside the car feature/option will be available/functional in the next generation of 7er if not the next MY fo US models.

bruno787
11-06-2009, 03:58 AM
The remote key fob and the trunk button inside the car actually controls the latch that lock and unlock the trunk. It does not control the motor that opens and close the trunk.

To test this, open the trunk and depress the trunk icon on the remote key OR the trunk button inside the car for about 2 seconds and you can hear the trunk latch clicking/releasing (lock/unlock) the mechanical lock. However, when you push the trunk close button inside the trunk, it activates the motor which causes the trunk to close.

Maybe the auto trunk close from the remote key fob and trunk button inside the car feature/option will be available/functional in the next generation of 7er if not the next MY fo US models.

hmmm..must be a regional option, im 101% certain that when i press and hold the trunk button on the key while inside the car, the trunk closes remotely :)

asaseaban
11-06-2009, 04:03 AM
hmmm..must be a regional option, im 101% certain that when i press and hold the trunk button on the key while inside the car, the trunk closes remotely :)

Yes. This seems to be a regional and country specific problem and all USA 7 series DO NOT have this option/feature. When i was in Germany i so a 730d that was able to fold/unfold the mirrors and even close the trunk all from the remote key fob. That's what got me interested and curious in the first place.

Now you should be glad you paid $200k for your car.

asaseaban
11-06-2009, 04:21 AM
That function is not operable in the US/Canada.

I wonder if you change the country code if some of the functions we find disabled, become enabled. Does anyone have experience doing this?

You know there will be a "hack" for it in no time. However, I will only consider mild, unobtrusive, options on my 100k car at this time.

The good news is that all these features and options are built-in and BMW is using programming and coding to block it. If one can get the programming for EU 7er and compare it to the programming on USA 7er maybe we can find what's missing and get the programming and coding to unlock all those features. But i doubt if BMW will make it that easier to turn all those features on.

It really doesn't make any sense as to why BMW will do this because MB do have these feature...hmmmm...wonder why MB S-Class is a little pricier than the BMW 7er???

BMR2009
11-06-2009, 04:42 AM
Would you be so kind as to take a pic of the trunk mechanism for me? I would love to see if there is any difference, or if it is as we suspect, a programming concern.

asaseaban
11-06-2009, 04:57 AM
Would you be so kind as to take a pic of the trunk mechanism for me? I would love to see if there is any difference, or if it is as we suspect, a programming concern.

Here are the pictures:
Unlock
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=207451&stc=1&d=1257599351

Lock
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=207452&stc=1&d=1257599351

BMW has moved from using mechanical device to limits stuff, they're now more into software-based (computers) limits. In the past, when i took my 7er to the shop they'll say i need this mechanical piece replaced/installed but starting from the E65/66 everytime i go in the shop they'll say i need a programming/software update or a computer replaced. I remember my old 745Li was jerking one morning and when i took it in for service they just did software update and reprogramming and the car starting working fine...no mechanical device to replace. The new and improved Flex Ray which is the newly developed serial bus system speeds up data transfer between vehicle components making all these software-based stuff eay and fast compare to older 7er.

These two Trunk remote buttons perform the same single function; Open the trunk.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=207453&stc=1&d=1257599351

These two Trunk buttons perform the same dual funtion; Open and/or Close the trunk.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=207454&stc=1&d=1257599351

So the two Trunk remote buttons need to be programmed or coded to perform the same dual function as the other two Trunk buttons and we'll be able to Open and/or Close the trunk without physically touching the trunk.