PDA

View Full Version : Some post-P21S wax notes vs "Griots Carnauba"

Guest84
03-26-2002, 06:50 AM
I sent this as a reply to a question from a poster, but here are my observations of these two products.

My wifes SUV was a test bed for Griots Carnauba (not the "Best of Show" wax) prior to my Sept delivery of my BMW. I applied it in August and it lasted about 5 months! But bear in mind her SUV goes from "Garage to Garage", never being exposed to the elements except while driving. Griots website claims they've had the wax last up to 8 months! That I find hard to believe, but the stuff does seem to have more longevity than P21S Carnauba. Yes, the surface still had *some* slickness(fingernail test), and water continued to bead up to about a dime size when I detailed it again in January.

I'd bought some P21S Carnauaba wax for my BMW and applied it in late December(along with the P21S Paint cleaner, basically a swirl mark mask and finish prep similiar to that of the 3M products). Its ready for another coat though, so it lasted about 3 months, again its a car that goes "garage to garage"

I don't think P21S paint cleaner elongates the life of the wax , but it does a really good job of covering minor swirls and really enhances the paint, I like it better than the 3M hand glaze.

My suggestion would be, if you don't mind detailing your car about every 3-4 months, and its not parked outside, Carnauba is the way to go, regardless of brand. (remember, I'm a firm believer that its not the high-end product you use as much as it is the preparation of the finish, and application/removal of said products.)

However, if you park outside, and your car is subjected to extremes of seasons (deep south, where heat is a big factor, or up North, where snow is prevailent in the winter), I personally would go with a good polymer such as Zaino. I used to use strictly polymer brands until I started garaging my cars.

My conclusion: Griots Carnauba far outlasts the P21S Carnauba, but I really like both products, so I'll be switching back and forth between the two until I run out, at that point, I promised Alee last year I'd try out Sal's product line (Zaino)

alee
03-26-2002, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by Ripsnort
My conclusion: Griots Carnauba far outlasts the P21S Carnauba, but I really like both products, so I'll be switching back and forth between the two until I run out, at that point, I promised Alee last year I'd try out Sal's product line (Zaino)
But which one smells better? :D

Guest84
03-26-2002, 07:12 AM
Griots :)

in_d_haus
03-26-2002, 07:42 AM
I'm constantly taking nose hits of Griots Carnauba...stuff smells like candy :D