PDA

View Full Version : Nav wierdness... what are these symbols?

mquetel
09-16-2003, 08:12 PM
In the past couple of days, my Nav has begun displaying these wierd blue symbols that look like a factory (see attached photo). I can't think of what they are, how I turned them on and most importantly how to turn them off.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Terry Kennedy
09-16-2003, 10:13 PM
In the past couple of days, my Nav has begun displaying these wierd blue symbols that look like a factory (see attached photo). I can't think of what they are, how I turned them on and most importantly how to turn them off.

Can anyone shed some light on this?That's the NAV symbol for "industrial zone". I suspect you were fiddling with the "information at location / destination" NAV option. Go back in there and pick something there is less of, like "City Center" to make them go away.

mquetel
09-16-2003, 11:20 PM
That's the NAV symbol for "industrial zone". I suspect you were fiddling with the "information at location / destination" NAV option. Go back in there and pick something there is less of, like "City Center" to make them go away.

Thanks Terry. Following your suggestion I went and picked hospitals and the symbols in question are gone and now hospitals (and there are much fewer) are displayed with an "H" symbol.

I played with it for a while and there does not seem to be a way to just turn all the location/destination symbols off... odd.

Terry Kennedy
09-16-2003, 11:27 PM
I played with it for a while and there does not seem to be a way to just turn all the location/destination symbols off... odd.Try starting to enter an address in another country - for example, if you're in the US, start entering an address in Canada - just pick "Canada" as the contry, select it by pushing the right-hand knob, and go back to the map display option. This will get rid of the symbols in at least some of the NAV computer models and software versions.

mquetel
09-16-2003, 11:40 PM
Try starting to enter an address in another country - for example, if you're in the US, start entering an address in Canada - just pick "Canada" as the contry, select it by pushing the right-hand knob, and go back to the map display option. This will get rid of the symbols in at least some of the NAV computer models and software versions.

OK, will give that a go. Thanks! :thumbup:

BTW Terry, I think I remember reading a thread you were participating in a little bit ago concerning installing the AUX-IN cable on a NAV equipped E46. Anyway, I just got my cable and am trying to work up the nerve to dive in. I am hoping to bring the cable down to my center console where I've replaced the cupholders with the sliding tray. Did you indicate that you can snake the cable down to the shifter without removing everything in between (AC controls, ashtray etc)? I'd love some add'l info about this and how difficult it was.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Terry Kennedy
09-17-2003, 12:09 AM
Anyway, I just got my cable and am trying to work up the nerve to dive in. I am hoping to bring the cable down to my center console where I've replaced the cupholders with the sliding tray. Did you indicate that you can snake the cable down to the shifter without removing everything in between (AC controls, ashtray etc)? I'd love some add'l info about this and how difficult it was.I ran the aux cable at the same time as I installed my deer whistle switch/wiring and the paddle shift kit. So, while I didn't run the aux cable down that route, I did run the paddle shift wiring on that exact route.

You can definitely do it without needing to pull the climate controls, button panel, and ashtray. Just get some small-gauge insulated solid wire (#20 or so) and work it down the left side of the A/C controls. You want solid wire so it doesn't coil and flex too much, and insulated so you don't short anything out down there. Once you get it fished through, use it as a pull line to bring the actual aux cable through. The aux cable is wrapped in fuzzy tape, so it might drag on some corners and you may need to work it back and forth.

The biggest challenge was getting the NAV display out (do a search here for "steak knife" :D). Since then, the actual tool part number has been determined (90 88 6 651 110) so you don't have to go that route if you're nervous. This part number is for a pair of the tools, so you only need to order one.

There are a number of DIY's for getting the shifter boot and surround off, so you should be set there. Just make sure you route the aux cable away from anything that might be a moving part or interlock in the shifter area - stay well to the side.

You will probably want to ground the sleeve of the aux in jack to the vehicle chassis while you have the console apart - otherwise you may hear a bit of interference (more when there isn't anything plugged into the jack but you have the Aux input selected).

Before you put the NAV display back in, make sure you can select the Aux input - a number of cars (including mine) were built with pins 2 & 3 swapped in the connector where the Aux cable plugs in.

Lastly, you can adjust the gain of the Aux input by pressing the CD 1 through 6 select buttons while the Aux input is selected.

mquetel
09-17-2003, 12:18 AM
I ran the aux cable at the same time as I installed my deer whistle switch/wiring and the paddle shift kit. So, while I didn't run the aux cable down that route, I did run the paddle shift wiring on that exact route.

You can definitely do it without needing to pull the climate controls, button panel, and ashtray. Just get some small-gauge insulated solid wire (#20 or so) and work it down the left side of the A/C controls. You want solid wire so it doesn't coil and flex too much, and insulated so you don't short anything out down there. Once you get it fished through, use it as a pull line to bring the actual aux cable through. The aux cable is wrapped in fuzzy tape, so it might drag on some corners and you may need to work it back and forth.

The biggest challenge was getting the NAV display out (do a search here for "steak knife" :D). Since then, the actual tool part number has been determined (90 88 6 651 110) so you don't have to go that route if you're nervous. This part number is for a pair of the tools, so you only need to order one.

There are a number of DIY's for getting the shifter boot and surround off, so you should be set there. Just make sure you route the aux cable away from anything that might be a moving part or interlock in the shifter area - stay well to the side.

You will probably want to ground the sleeve of the aux in jack to the vehicle chassis while you have the console apart - otherwise you may hear a bit of interference (more when there isn't anything plugged into the jack but you have the Aux input selected).

Before you put the NAV display back in, make sure you can select the Aux input - a number of cars (including mine) were built with pins 2 & 3 swapped in the connector where the Aux cable plugs in.

Lastly, you can adjust the gain of the Aux input by pressing the CD 1 through 6 select buttons while the Aux input is selected.

Wow, thanks again for the great suggestions! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I read the infamous steak knife thread before ordering the cable so I went ahead and got the NAV extraction tool at the same time. Pacific BMW didn't seem to have a problem ordering/selling it to me. I'll spend a bit of time collecting the various DIYs, work up a plan of attack, and wait for a weekend when my wife isn't around... she would freak if she saw me diving into the new car like that. I'll keep everyone posted as to the progress and outcome.

Cheers,

Mike

mquetel
09-17-2003, 07:47 AM
Thanks... good to have a legend.

I swear my US nav owner manual does not even mention the existence of this feature, let alone a map legend. :tsk:

The Roadstergal
09-17-2003, 11:57 AM
I love seeing "carriageway" and "centre." How smashing!

mquetel
09-17-2003, 12:54 PM
I love seeing "carriageway" and "centre." How smashing!

not to mention chemist! :)

Mathew
09-17-2003, 12:56 PM
Where I live, the only icons I get to see are City Centers.