PDA

View Full Version : fixing front door lock actuator Help!!

rdc
10-31-2009, 09:38 AM
I am trying to replace my passenger front door lock actuator. I cannot get it and the lock mechanism out. The rear door DIY posts are only a little help.

Door panel is off. No issue there. It looks as if I need to take the door handle off or even the window track. Perhaps the lock/actuator would move a bit if the pull up lock rod was off. But I see no way.

I replaced a rear driver's door actuator with no problem. The door is apart and I would like to fix it this weekend. Thanks

rdc
10-31-2009, 11:44 AM
I pryed out the actuator and disconnected the electical. That seems to be a mistake. Now I cannot see how to fit the new actuator. I feel so out of it on this repair. Bentley only shows actuator for older model. I am missing something here.

rdc
10-31-2009, 08:25 PM
found I needed to remove window guide rail. I can now move the locking mechanism around but not removed it as it is still connected by a rod to the door handle assembly. Now to find out how to disconnect that rod, if needed.

rdc
11-01-2009, 09:30 AM
Job finished. The rod to the lock assembly from the key area just pushed out of the lock mechanism. However puting it back and the window guide rail was rather "fiddly". Had to hold the door lock rod clip "up" with a piece of rubber tubing so i could reinsert the rod. The rod snapped in. The rest was normal installation of screws and door panel.

Bentley Manual did have very basic instructions which helped a bit. Apparently there is no good DIY front door acturator repair or soemone would have told me while I was struggling with it. Even so I hope this is useful to someone.

rdc
11-02-2009, 09:05 AM
Not really fixed. Had same cold weather problem this morning. New actuator did not fix issue. Front Passenger door would not lock with remote or key from driver's door. Would lock (with key) all doors from passenger door.

Will try resyncing the locks. Also I understand there is a door sensor to indicate an open door which could keeping ifrom locking.

rdc
11-03-2009, 07:33 AM
Still will not lock when cold. I sprayed WD-40 up into the lock mechanism (worked the lockes) to see if old lube was a problem. Worked fine with key or remote yesterday evening. What else can I check? Only a problem when temperature is below about 40 degrees.

rdc
11-04-2009, 07:44 AM
Same problem this morning!! What else should I be looking at? Electrical connections, fusable link, fuses, etc?

Is there a sensor somehere to indicate the door is closed that would be affected by the cold?

rdc
11-05-2009, 06:52 AM
Looks like I may have fixed it. However it happened in an unexpected way. For years, the driverís door key would be hard to turn left to unlock the car. I had to turn it to the right first then to the left to unlock. I should be able to turn left and just unlock. I forgot this was not correct.

I sprayed WD-40 into the driverís side lock and also under the door handle openings. Then the key would then turn left/right with ease. Locks worked fine this morning with temperature just above freezing.

Not sure what is going on. However, I understand resistance plays a big part of the central locking system. If one component is not functioning properly perhaps it can show in odd ways.

CarDriver
11-05-2009, 07:25 AM
Looks like I may have fixed it. However it happened in an unexpected way. For years, the driverís door key would be hard to turn left to unlock the car. I had to turn it to the right first then to the left to unlock. I should be able to turn left and just unlock. I forgot this was not correct.

I sprayed WD-40 into the driverís side lock and also under the door handle openings. Then the key would then turn left/right with ease. Locks worked fine this morning with temperature just above freezing.

Not sure what is going on. However, I understand resistance plays a big part of the central locking system. If one component is not functioning properly perhaps it can show in odd ways.

You are on the money with that. Replace the actuator on that door. It would be cheaper to buy a used one from a junk yard. They will more than likely sell you the entire door handle assy for around thirty to fifty bucks.

rdc
11-05-2009, 07:46 AM
Actuator on driver's door may not be the issue. May be a worn key lock. Even so, I have a good actuator I took off the front passenger door. However, I can afford to replace with new parts if needed as a new actuator from BMA is about $59.

At this point I have replaced two door actuators (1 front and 1 rear) in the car which has partially enhanced my understanding of the locking systems. :)

CarDriver
11-05-2009, 08:23 AM
Actuator on driver's door may not be the issue. May be a worn key lock. Even so, I have a good actuator I took off the front passenger door. However, I can afford to replace with new parts if needed as a new actuator from BMA is about $59.

At this point I have replaced two door actuators (1 front and 1 rear) in the car which has partially enhanced my understanding of the locking systems. :)

that's good. Trial and error are some of the best teachers.

Sorry about the miss read. If it is only messed up when cold then it is possibly the lock cylinder itself. A good way to test that is just the way you did it. If that did the trick then it is your cylinder.

Side note:

WD-40 is not ideal for locks, although it does help. Use a graphite lubricant instead. Just be careful as it can be messy.

rdc
11-05-2009, 08:42 AM

Sorry about the miss read. If it is only messed up when cold then it is possibly the lock cylinder itself. A good way to test that is just the way you did it. If that did the trick then it is your cylinder.

Side note:

WD-40 is not ideal for locks, although it does help. Use a graphite lubricant instead. Just be careful as it can be messy.

I agree, I plan to use another lubricant in the lock. I just wanted to "flush" it out first.

Thanks

rdc
11-06-2009, 09:48 AM
stayed fixed two days in a row- I call it fixed.

Now to go on to other real and preceived issues.

rdc
11-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Did it again this morning and temperature was only about 40 degrees. kept cycling the key in the drivers's door. After about 4 tries it worked and continued to work all day.

I think there may be an electrical circuit that "opens" when cold. Could be the key lock. Or it just old hard/stiff lubricant. Oh well I will keep at it.

Mark Mustain
06-01-2011, 01:58 PM

Side note:

+ 1 on WD-40 not being ideal for locks. Dont do what I did, be careful where you spray. I believe I fried something inside my drivers side door by "lubricating" the key mechanism by spraying WD-40 inside the door key. All of my locks worked at first, after spraying, all went haywire. I obviously sprayed in the wrong place, too much, etc. Door is going to cost me a couple of hundred bucks to get operational again. UhhhhggghhHH ! My stupid ass, I was just trying to lubricate the key lock mechanism so it would open with the key more easy (like this poster said, it was hard to turn the key one way). Now, I can turn the key anyway I want, and it is ok cause nothing works ! It will be out of the shop friday, and hopefully I wont be climbing in and out through the passenger side door ! :mad:

ThoreauHD
06-01-2011, 03:13 PM
You are supposed to use graphite powder. Cheap at any auto store.

Mark Mustain
06-01-2011, 05:31 PM
You are supposed to use graphite powder. Cheap at any auto store.

I wish I would have read that and used my brain ! beforehand. Sometimes things seem like a good idea at the time, then later, no so much. I do so many stupid things with respect to my car, but I figured I may have a twin out there and had better warn them through the forum before they make the same dumb mistakes I did/have.