PDA

View Full Version : Buying a 1999 528i question rear door does not open

slj333
11-01-2009, 05:11 AM
Hello,
I am a potential new BMW owner. I am looking at an extremely clean 2 owner 528 auto. It has 130,000 miles and it appears to have been well maintained. The only issue I see with the car is that the rear right door will only open from the inside. Owner is asking $6900 and it is being sold as is. Any idea how expensive the repair will be or if it's a simple do it yourself type of thing?
Thank you,
Steve

CarDriver
11-01-2009, 05:38 AM
It is not that bad of a deal to fix. It is more than likely the door handle assembly that would need to be replaced. If it opens from the inside then it is not the cable or the latching mechanism.

If you like the car, go for it. The handle assy would be no more than 50 bucks used and is not that hard to replace as it is the rear door and no lock Cylinder is involved.

In My opinion, 6900 is a bit much for a 528 (If it is an E28) as it is over 20 years old and is by no means a clasic. If it was supercharched or had a high performance suspension and body mods it could be worth that and then some. Shop around and you will find a nice one for about 3000 bucks less.

I do like the e28 as they look very nice when moded!!!

Just realized this is a 1999. Wrong Forum... Try this one
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=103