PDA

View Full Version : Car vibrates while foot on brake

Problemeveryday
11-01-2009, 10:33 AM
im having trouble figuring out whats causing the car the vibrate when i have my foot on the brake pedal. the second i let it go and press the gas the vibration is gone. i changed all 4 pads and installed HAWK performance pads with brembo cross drilled rotors. i have never touched the brake fluid, and i did not change the brake sensor either. anyone have a idea why the car vibrates when the brake pedal is forced?

mbridges15
11-01-2009, 10:58 AM
Is it doing it at all speeds or only high speeds?

6spdg37s
11-01-2009, 11:41 AM
unbalanced wheels?

ktc
11-01-2009, 02:13 PM
Perhaps there is some non-planarity between your rotors, caliper bracket, or the axis. If you drive with the window open, can you hear a periodic rub that gets worse and worse as you increase brake pressure?

Problemeveryday
11-01-2009, 03:28 PM
it only vibrates when u press the brake and the car is stopped. like imagine ur under a red light and ur foot is on the brake. as soon as i let go of the brake, the vibration goes away. and when it vibrates, it vibrates the whole car lol. i feel a bit of unbalanced rotation when i brake though. it feels as if im going over many bumps. the brake pads were worn out evenly when i changed them, so that tells me the calipers are working normally?. my car only has 74k miles btw. and as far as the noise, i cant hear anything its usually smooth maybe once in a while it will make a small squick after a while of driving but thats about it.

is it possible for the catallic converters to be clogged up on the manifold headers?

Customs025
11-01-2009, 04:36 PM
you warped your new rotors.. you have to brake in your new brakes for the first 60 miles brake easy. warping is caused by rotor getting really hot those pads might be a harder pad causing the rotor too warp also

Problemeveryday
11-01-2009, 04:40 PM
cant i fix that? or i have to change my rotors. heres a pic idk if you can see the "warpping" or not.

bwagner0609
11-01-2009, 04:44 PM
my guess is that you warped your new rotors. Did you get any grease or dirt on the rotors when installing the new pads? did you use brake clean to thouroughly clean the rotors off before finishing the job?

the slightest amount of grease on the rotor can cause a hot spot and warp them real quick.

You can also warp some rotors if you don't torque the lug nuts down right. (I did that before. forgot to tigthen down two lug nuts all the way and WARP)

your catalytic converters have NOTHING to do with anthing mentioned here - trust me.

bwagner0609
11-01-2009, 04:46 PM
sorry - but you'll never be able to see a warped rotor. You'd have to use a dial caliper to detect the warp.

We used to used them in auto school. they had ones you attached to the brake assembly with a magnet and then positioned against the rotor. You would turn the rotor and watch the needle move on the dial - that would tell you if they're warped.

kimmy
11-01-2009, 05:26 PM
it only vibrates when u press the brake and the car is stopped. like imagine ur under a red light and ur foot is on the brake.

He may have warped rotors, but it I really have doubts that it has a whole lot to do with his car vibrating when it is stopped! :rofl:

OP: I am assuming that you must have an auto transmission, correct?

bwagner0609
11-01-2009, 07:18 PM
OH - I guess I didn't catch that!! you're right!!

that makes a big difference!!!

Problemeveryday
11-01-2009, 07:56 PM
ya its automatic. no but i took it to a car wash after i installed the rotors. should i try to clean the rotor? how can i fix it.

Problemeveryday
11-02-2009, 01:18 PM
now all of a sudden a sharp noise comes when i brake lol. man this problem is a mystery no one around LA is able to figure it out lol.

bwagner0609
11-02-2009, 06:12 PM
car washing won't work to clean rotors. You are should spray them down with brake clean before driving the car after installing the new pads/rotors. it will remove any dirt or grease on the rotors. Most new rotors come with a slight grease film to prevent any corrosion while they're in storage.

have you double checked all of the bolts on the brakes and also the lug nuts?

i'm curious - you say the whole car shakes when you are completely stopped - say sitting in the driveway and you push the brake?

Problemeveryday
11-04-2009, 08:06 AM
well i did use brake cleaner when i installed the new rotors and pads. its like have you sat in a mercialago before? the car makes a huge vibration sound when its idle. with my 330i, when you put it in gears like reverse or drive and you push the brake pedal, it vibrates the whole car. the windows shake as well. but when you press the gas, it just takes off amazingly. i installed KnN intake but i highly doubt it could be from that especially when it happens when i have my foot on the brake. could it be from the brake fluid by any chance? i havent chance the fluid in 7 years.

MicahO
11-04-2009, 08:27 AM
well i did use brake cleaner when i installed the new rotors and pads. its like have you sat in a mercialago before? the car makes a huge vibration sound when its idle. with my 330i, when you put it in gears like reverse or drive and you push the brake pedal, it vibrates the whole car. the windows shake as well. but when you press the gas, it just takes off amazingly. i installed KnN intake but i highly doubt it could be from that especially when it happens when i have my foot on the brake. could it be from the brake fluid by any chance? i havent chance the fluid in 7 years.

Has anyone looked at the motor and tranny mounts on the car?

Deeper question - does the car vibrate when stopped, in park, and with your foot NOT on the brake? Or does the car only start to vibrate when the car is stopped and the brake pedal is depressed? Does it vibrate worse when you stand hard on the brake pedal than when you just touch the pedal lightly?

No part of the braking system is going to make the car vibrate when at rest, except perhaps that the brake booster may be doing something funny with vacuum, causing the engine to run really rough? Rotors, pads, etc will only cause vibration when the car is rolling.

If the fluid is 7 years old, it should be changed, but it will not have anything to do with a vibration.

Problemeveryday
11-09-2009, 07:54 PM
it vibrates at all times but there are sometimes where it doesnt which is maybe a couple seconds throughout the day. but most of the time its vibrating. a couple mechanics drove the car they said its from the motor mounts. and ya it does get worse when u press the brake hard. i installed hawk high performance pads on all four with brembo rotors.

02 330Ci
11-09-2009, 08:05 PM
Has anyone looked at the motor and tranny mounts on the car?

Deeper question - does the car vibrate when stopped, in park, and with your foot NOT on the brake? Or does the car only start to vibrate when the car is stopped and the brake pedal is depressed? Does it vibrate worse when you stand hard on the brake pedal than when you just touch the pedal lightly?

No part of the braking system is going to make the car vibrate when at rest, except perhaps that the brake booster may be doing something funny with vacuum, causing the engine to run really rough? Rotors, pads, etc will only cause vibration when the car is rolling.

If the fluid is 7 years old, it should be changed, but it will not have anything to do with a vibration.
Seems like this could be it, check to see if your idle control valve is sticking or a ripped or soft intake piping. If its not getting vacuum as its meant to it could cause the engine to run rough which will shake the car.

smolck
11-10-2009, 04:17 PM
Wow, this thread is interesting. I am going to say (like others) the brake rotors have NOTHING to do with vibration while stopped. More likely an Idle Control Valve issue, or Micah's idea about the booster makes a lot of sense too.

henry_desmond
11-11-2009, 04:07 PM
My car does that too when the car is stopped and in drive.. It's kinda like the vibration you feel through the steering wheel when driving a 4cyl car. I think it is normal because I had an 09 328i loaner and I could feel vibration through the steering wheel when the car was stopped. Then again it could be the motor mounts. My moms 00 E320 had bad motor mounts which caused vibration when stopped...Once the motor mounts were replaced it did not do it anymore.

Andrew.P
11-11-2009, 06:01 PM
Like others have said, I don't think its the brakes. Could it be transmission when it idles? I know My auto (sad don't have manual) moans/groans when I slowly let go of brake when the cars in idle. Mainly this happens when my car has JUST switch gears, for example when I switch from PARK to REVERSE or REVERSE to DRIVE. The car never vibrates though. Why is this? Sure you installed it all correctly? Maybe your subs are shacking your windows XD

Problemeveryday
11-11-2009, 07:46 PM
ya everything i installed on it is in place all the way. the intake might be the problem, but very low chance because i can hear a prrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sound from behind the dash. but ill check it out before i get the mounts changed. i drove a 02 325 with 150k miles on it and its smoooth as a toyota prius hybrid. so its definitley not normal for these cars to vibrate the way they do.

Melquin
11-11-2009, 07:50 PM
ya everything i installed on it is in place all the way. the intake might be the problem, but very low chance because i can hear a prrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sound from behind the dash. but ill check it out before i get the mounts changed. i drove a 02 325 with 150k miles on it and its smoooth as a toyota prius hybrid. so its definitley not normal for these cars to vibrate the way they do.

Makes me wonder if it's not a vacuum issue with the booster as mentioned by someone else above.

bwagner0609
11-11-2009, 08:56 PM
OK - sorry guys - when I read this post originally I thought he was talking about the shaking when he was driving - NOT while he was sitting at a complete STOP!
(I'm not that dumb - I just skim read too fast!!!)

I do have one guess though -

you say you installed new brakes. it is possible that you tore the diaphram in the vacuum booster if you pushed the pedal all the way to the floor after installing new pads. (I've seen it before so don't think I'm nuts)

easy way to test -
disconnect the main vaccuum line from the booster and plug it really good. then start the car and start pushing the brakes and see if the problem still exists.

I'd be interested to see what you find

02 330Ci
11-11-2009, 10:12 PM
OK - sorry guys - when I read this post originally I thought he was talking about the shaking when he was driving - NOT while he was sitting at a complete STOP!
(I'm not that dumb - I just skim read too fast!!!)

I do have one guess though -

you say you installed new brakes. it is possible that you tore the diaphram in the vacuum booster if you pushed the pedal all the way to the floor after installing new pads. (I've seen it before so don't think I'm nuts)

easy way to test -
disconnect the main vaccuum line from the booster and plug it really good. then start the car and start pushing the brakes and see if the problem still exists.

I'd be interested to see what you find
I to would be interested, though it may not indicate a bad vacuum diaphram, reasoning I have.
If at idle the vacuum system is bad any place when you use the brake it takes vacuum and thus would cause the engine to run rough, and even die if the leak was severe. by plugging the brake vacuum you are not using it.

bwagner0609
11-12-2009, 05:55 PM
you're right. it was worth a shot though...

piscessoul13
12-23-2009, 01:23 AM
Did anyone figure out the resolution to this issue. This evening I just started having this exact same problem. I am taking the car into my mechanic. But being a girl, I like to have some idea what could be the issue before i get put into a wild goose chase and end up with a huge bill. So my car vibrates, when I have my foot on the break and it is drive for example sitting at a red light but moment I press the gas it goes away. Any advise? Oh BTW it is a 2004 530 BMW with 119,000 miles.

02 330Ci
12-23-2009, 01:34 AM
Try to define vibrate, does it seem like the car is shaking badly, does the brake pedal only vibrate, or perhaps the steering wheel?
Also is this while slowing to a stop or not until the car is at a standstill.

Melquin
12-23-2009, 01:52 AM
... when I have my foot on the break and it is drive for example sitting at a red light but moment I press the gas it goes away....

Does the vibration go away when you,a: Take your foot off the brake
or
b: when you start to accelerate?
(e.g. either coasting or firmly stting the parking brake and letting off the brake pedal)

Trying to either confirm or eliminate a vacuum problem with your brake booster.

MalibuMafiaV
12-23-2009, 08:54 AM
Warped rotors.

piscessoul13
12-23-2009, 09:00 AM
The car shakes not badly but only when I have my foot on the beak. not while in park in drive and at a complete stop also noticed if I have my foot on the brake and press the gas the vibration goes away.

MalibuMafiaV
12-23-2009, 09:01 AM
The car shakes not badly but only when I have my foot on the beak. not while in park in drive and at a complete stop also noticed if I have my foot on the brake and press the gas the vibration goes away.

Warped rotors. Get new brakes/rotors.

piscessoul13
12-23-2009, 09:01 AM
Does the vibration go away when you,a: Take your foot off the brake
or
b: when you start to accelerate?
(e.g. either coasting or firmly stting the parking brake and letting off the brake pedal)

Trying to either confirm or eliminate a vacuum problem with your brake booster.

Yes when I start to accelerate it the vibration goes away. i just had my breaks done a month ago, I can warped rotors that quickly.

MalibuMafiaV
12-23-2009, 09:57 AM
Yes when I start to accelerate it the vibration goes away. i just had my breaks done a month ago, I can warped rotors that quickly.

You know... I had a similar problem once. I got new control arm bushings, tires, and brakes and rotors and the vibration went away.

But recently I had to change out control arm bushings, tie rods, entire suspension, new rims, new tires to get the vibration to go away. And sometimes it STILL vibrates. I suspect it's the control arms and steering rack now because those are the only things I haven't replaced lol:)

rowdy lee
12-23-2009, 09:58 AM
..Vacuum Leak.

02 330Ci
12-23-2009, 03:47 PM
You know... I had a similar problem once. I got new control arm bushings, tires, and brakes and rotors and the vibration went away.

But recently I had to change out control arm bushings, tie rods, entire suspension, new rims, new tires to get the vibration to go away. And sometimes it STILL vibrates. I suspect it's the control arms and steering rack now because those are the only things I haven't replaced lol:)

..Vacuum Leak.
I would agree Vacuum leak, Sure the rotors could go that quickly but probably not.
If the problem was when applying brake while slowing but not other times then bad control arm bushings and other suspension could be it.
Take your car in for an alignment, ask them to check the suspension parts, usually if there is something wrong they can not do the alignment anyway.

piscessoul13
12-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Thanks for all your help guys! I am still at the shop. And originally they thought it was the mounts but upon further investigation and putting the car up. I manage to break the right mount bracket that holds the engine in place.:angel: In addition, these caused the oil seperator to break and leak because my engine is sitting cockeyed :tsk: And I need to get the right and left support arms replaced and there may be a possible misfire in the plugs somewhere and those are new. I am hoping it isn't any of the cyclinders but I can wait until after x-mas for that droppage of coin, thankfully.

mujjuman
12-24-2009, 08:50 AM
im having trouble figuring out whats causing the car the vibrate when i have my foot on the brake pedal. the second i let it go and press the gas the vibration is gone. i changed all 4 pads and installed HAWK performance pads with brembo cross drilled rotors. i have never touched the brake fluid, and i did not change the brake sensor either. anyone have a idea why the car vibrates when the brake pedal is forced?

I think it's your auto transmission

o0fsitzalan
01-04-2010, 07:21 AM
you should definitely check your tire pressures. This has been happening to my car for sometime too, but then it was because of the low tire pressures. after inflating them, the vibrations were gone. i hope this helps.

Problemeveryday
02-13-2010, 01:16 PM
ya but why would it vibrate when the car is on park as well? even when i put it on reverse and dont touch anything it vibrates. but ill get that checked out. yes i did press the brake all the way when installing new pads. i was not supposed to? i sometimes hear noises that comes from the engine and it only happens when i go over a bump or entire a drive way. so that kind of leads to engine mounts because when the front of the car goes up or when i enter a drive way with a right or left turn it makes that noise. i changed my mounts without lifting the engine up, my mechanic told me the engine has to be aligned as well when installing new mounts.........that true?

bheidelburg
03-01-2010, 09:04 PM
I have a 2000 323i with a step and about 800 miles to go till I hit 200K. I had the Cats replaced and afterwards there was a rattle. An Extremely noisy rattle. I took the car back and apparently one of the Cats was hitting the frame in hard left turns that was causing a huge vibration.

The shop "adjusted" the cats so that went away but I now have this rattle/vibration when I am:

STOPPED
ENGINE IN GEAR
MY FOOT IS ON THE BRAKE. (The reason my foot is on the brake is that if I were to let go, I'd rear end the guy in front of me. remember the car is in gear.) The car COMES TO A stop with no vibration at all but it starts after the car is stopped.

If I let off the brake and accelerate, the rattle/vibration goes away. Also, if I shift to neutral the rattle/vibration goes away, regardless if my foot is on the brake.

My shop indicated the motor mouns could use replacement as the car is 10 years old with 200K but he is unsure that is what is causing this issue.

Also, at 150K I had the reverse gear drum replaced in the tranny.

Any ideas?

martin_daniels
03-02-2010, 08:44 AM
I live in Minnesota and drive a 2003 325xi automatic. During the winter months I experience vibration when stopped and foot on brake.

1. This only happens in the winter
2. It only seems to happen when the car's external temperature reads 31 or below.
3. My idle revs are approximately 750 - 800 RPM, even when the car has warmed up.
4. If it's over 31 degrees, the idle drops to approximately 600 RPM after warm-up (and no vibration). Occasionally the revs drop even when colder than 31 degrees, but this is a rare exception.
5. Putting the car in neutral, stops the vibration, but doesn't change the high revs.

This goes away during warm weather. In Minnesota, we are required to use an ethanol blend. Is it possible that is the cause?

Thank you for any ideas.

DarkKnight207
03-03-2010, 09:55 AM
I've been watching this thread like a hawk, I'm having the same vibration problems, stopped, with it in gear. Take your foot off the gas and it's perfect. I think motor mounts would make the most sense, but I don't know. Hoping to keep this thread on top and alive until we can find a solution.

rowdy lee
03-03-2010, 10:08 AM
They should have looked at the mounts when they did the exhaust work on an older well-settled vehicle anyway... Now, they may have to "re-adjust" the system to stop rattling.

General vibes can be several things. Vacuum leak in any of many hoses, clean the MAF sensor, re-flash the main computer, mounts, very poor fuel grade, vacuum booster (rare),
O2 sensors, cam position sensors. What else?

bheidelburg
03-03-2010, 02:14 PM
I think the motor mounts need replacing anyway so I am going to get them replaced next oil change. I'll update the forum if it clears the issue. Probably won't be till April though.

My big concern is if the rattle is associated with the Cats. That was $1900 which is still a darn site cheaper than the dealer and their $2200 cats + labor. But still a lot of cash to part with...

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=742612

This thread has some folks with the same issue and one of them replaced the motor mounts with good results...

mujjuman
03-04-2010, 02:19 AM
If it happens in Park, and N, then its got to be your engine mounts

NogginFFog
03-05-2010, 04:43 AM
These sound like related issues to me. Vacuum/Idle/Brakes....see this thread

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=438240

martin_daniels
03-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Just an FYI,

Minneapolis has been warmer the last few days and my vibration problem is going away. Wondering if anyone else is seeing this go away as the outside temp goes over freezing?

Thanks

martin_daniels
03-23-2010, 10:52 AM
Did any of your vibration issues go away with the warm weather? Mine is fine now, I'm sure I'll see it again next winter.

phlfly
03-23-2010, 11:10 AM
I live in Minnesota and drive a 2003 325xi automatic. During the winter months I experience vibration when stopped and foot on brake.

1. This only happens in the winter
2. It only seems to happen when the car's external temperature reads 31 or below.
3. My idle revs are approximately 750 - 800 RPM, even when the car has warmed up.
4. If it's over 31 degrees, the idle drops to approximately 600 RPM after warm-up (and no vibration). Occasionally the revs drop even when colder than 31 degrees, but this is a rare exception.
5. Putting the car in neutral, stops the vibration, but doesn't change the high revs.

This goes away during warm weather. In Minnesota, we are required to use an ethanol blend. Is it possible that is the cause?

Thank you for any ideas.

I have same thing in winter. It takes about 15-20 min get to normal operation temp(not dial indicator on your dash), because it's measured water temp, but engine temp will be different or slightly different, that is caused an engine working in higher rpm, then idle, so at full stop the engine is out putting more torque on your auto trans. Remember your auto trans in the D position, meaning gear #1, so transmission vibrates during a warm up time.

lamasheen
03-02-2011, 08:36 PM
I have an 07 328i (wrong forum I know, but still related and maybe of interest to everyone on this thread). Just got my car back from service and started noticing this exact same problem. All winter, my engine had a ticking noise during cold weather so they replaced the hydraulic lifters. That didn't fix the problem so I brought the car back in & they told me they had to replace the entire cylinder head that was slightly defective!! Well they did that last week and tonight I went to get some ice cream at the local store and it is like 25 degree out tonight in NJ and when i parked the car, i felt the vibration. Only happens when I am pressing the brake and car is in Drive. I actually have to stop and then take the foot off the brake a little bit & press again and the engine will vibrate/shake. My guess is that it is related to the cylinder head replacement, they must have had to unmount the entire engine and re-mount it, not an easy task I'm sure. Must have something to do with the re-mounting, only explanation. Anyway, car is under warranty so I will just take it and ask them to take a look. I was able to replicate pretty easily tonight, i think i may have noticed a bit earlier in the day when it was warmer but was not as prominent compared to tonight int he very cold weather. When they did the head replacement, it took them a week to get the part and they gave me a brand new 335D as a loaner for a week, I hope i can get it again. 335D was sweet, too bad it don't come in stick.