PDA

View Full Version : '94 E34 headlamps..

THeGAME
11-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Im not sure what I have in there now, but its clear (perhaps unclear?) that they dont put out enough light. Its possible the housing is dirty, but I dont think they are that dirty..

Can anyone recommend some good bulbs for the standard adaptors?

thx!

E36 Phantom
11-04-2009, 03:32 PM
If you don't want to upgrade to the Euro Smiley projectors, you have a couple options. For both, I'd recommend taking the headlight housing out and using mild soap and water to clean both the outer glass lens and the projector lens. You'll be surprised at how dirty they can get inside that assembly!

First option would require no modifications, and would be to get some Sylvania Silverstar Ultras. There are other companies that make comparable bulbs (perhaps better) but I don't know enough off hand to recommend them. Anyway, I've always used these and they are great bulbs for halogens. However, they're 50 bucks a pop and just don't last very long. They tend to blow in 9-12 months. No, 50 bucks a year isn't very much money for good light, BUT....

Option two is installing HID bulbs in the projectors. This would likely take some modification of the housing but I doubt it would take much. You can get very cheap HID set ups from reputable vendors (ie, DDM Tuning) and they will probably last twice as long at least, and usually come with warranties. So, for under double the cost you get much much better lighting that may end up lasting twice as long, making the total cost the same anyway.

rdc
11-06-2009, 05:59 PM
ddm HIDs worked for me. no modifications to wiring -plug and play.

THeGAME
11-20-2009, 10:55 AM
Thanks guys..

rdc..
Do you know what part number the ones you are using are?

Im planning on pulling and cleaning them now..

Is it true that the housing sealed and you cant take them apart to clean the chromed areas and inside the glass?

rdc
11-24-2009, 08:34 AM
Thanks guys..

rdc..
Do you know what part number the ones you are using are?

Im planning on pulling and cleaning them now..

Is it true that the housing sealed and you cant take them apart to clean the chromed areas and inside the glass?

Do not know the part # but they were slim-line 55w, 4300 or 4500 k bulbs. I think the kit is about $70.00 US. Best to cal and verify what you need and then order on-line. They respond slowly to e-mails.

If you get a 'bulb out' after installation you may need to do a fix. Instructions are below. Note that DDM sells several products for the bulb out fix. There may be one that would work for you. I know ther BOW3 did not work for me.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322806&highlight=hid+fix