PDA

View Full Version : 325 Auto vs M3

glaws
09-17-2003, 07:59 PM
Well, my inspection I came due and the power steering pump on the M3 was making loud, rude noises so I called Moritz BMW and waited 3 days before they had a BMW loaner to give me. What I got was a 325 sedan with automatic transmission. The car has a sunroof, but no nav (which I would have liked to have tried) and surprisingly, I think it has vinyl seats. Hard to tell, the BMW vinyl is VERY good.

The seats are manual, so the adjustment features were exactly like the M3 and I was able to get them to approximately the seating position I like. Even so, I really missed the sports seats and felt that I would be sliding around a bit in hard cornering and they are not nearly as supportive, overall. The two cars have nearly identical engine gauges except the 325 replaces the oil temp with the nearly useless analog MPH readout. Too bad, I really pay attention to the oil temp to judge if the engine is at operating temperature before I go above 4000 RPM.

After starting the car, I noticed that the engine was very quiet compared to the M3 and that the steering seemed, well not too much different, actually. Going down the road the 325's ride was very much softer and the car "leaned" a lot more in corners. Of course, I am down two levels in suspension stiffness from the M3 (assuming that the sedan doesnt have the "Sport Suspension") and the difference is really noticeable from the M3's very firm ride. The brakes were also not nearly in the M3's league. They still had BMW's very good linear feel, just not nearly as powerful.

Of course, the big difference is that I am missing 145 HP and have a automatic transmission. Even on the city streets, I miss the M3's ASTOUNDING, effortless power. A couple of weeks ago I was in an unfamilar city and my passenger says "you need to get around that car and turn right!" I said "no problem" and did so. Of course, after I had made the corner, I looked at my passenger and she had turned white and had eyes like two fried eggs. I smiled.

tgravo2
09-17-2003, 09:23 PM
:bigpimp:

GregE_325
09-18-2003, 05:56 AM
Well, my inspection I came due and the power steering pump on the M3 was making loud, rude noises so I called Moritz BMW and waited 3 days before they had a BMW loaner to give me. What I got was a 325 sedan with automatic transmission. The car has a sunroof, but no nav (which I would have liked to have tried) and surprisingly, I think it has vinyl seats. Hard to tell, the BMW vinyl is VERY good.

The seats are manual, so the adjustment features were exactly like the M3 and I was able to get them to approximately the seating position I like. Even so, I really missed the sports seats and felt that I would be sliding around a bit in hard cornering and they are not nearly as supportive, overall. The two cars have nearly identical engine gauges except the 325 replaces the oil temp with the nearly useless analog MPH readout. Too bad, I really pay attention to the oil temp to judge if the engine is at operating temperature before I go above 4000 RPM.

After starting the car, I noticed that the engine was very quiet compared to the M3 and that the steering seemed, well not too much different, actually. Going down the road the 325's ride was very much softer and the car "leaned" a lot more in corners. Of course, I am down two levels in suspension stiffness from the M3 (assuming that the sedan doesnt have the "Sport Suspension") and the difference is really noticeable from the M3's very firm ride. The brakes were also not nearly in the M3's league. They still had BMW's very good linear feel, just not nearly as powerful.

Of course, the big difference is that I am missing 145 HP and have a automatic transmission. Even on the city streets, I miss the M3's ASTOUNDING, effortless power. A couple of weeks ago I was in an unfamilar city and my passenger says "you need to get around that car and turn right!" I said "no problem" and did so. Of course, after I had made the corner, I looked at my passenger and she had turned white and had eyes like two fried eggs. I smiled.

If you don't mind telling me, what was the problem with your power steering pump? I've had my 325 back at the dealership last week for a similar problem. The power steering pump was making all sorts of groaning and grinding noises while at low speeds. I've lost all power steering assist on several occasions. The dealership's response was that the steering is working normally. I know that this is certainly not the case, as the car lost all power assist while I was trying to back into a parking space last night. It was like trying to maneuver an old farm truck around.

Thanks,

Greg

glaws
09-18-2003, 07:14 AM
If you don't mind telling me, what was the problem with your power steering pump? I've had my 325 back at the dealership last week for a similar problem. The power steering pump was making all sorts of groaning and grinding noises while at low speeds. I've lost all power steering assist on several occasions. The dealership's response was that the steering is working normally. I know that this is certainly not the case, as the car lost all power assist while I was trying to back into a parking space last night. It was like trying to maneuver an old farm truck around.

My problem was not that severe, although I did notice that low-speed turning was getting a little tougher. My unit started out making the standard and usual power steering pump (or belts) groaning noises when the car had sat overnight, then didnt hear it when the engine warmed up. By the time I got it into the dealership yesterday, I was hearing the noise most of the time. from what you say about your problem, I think I would seek a second opinion - if there is another dealer nearby.

Thanks,

Greg

GregE_325
09-18-2003, 07:24 AM
Thanks glaws. Unfortunately, the next closest dealer is over an hour away. I think I'll try a couple of the local independent shops. I'm long out of warranty, so it doesn't matter who works on the car anymore. Either that, or I need to start pumping up my biceps so that I can steer the darn thing when the power cuts out.

glaws
09-18-2003, 07:37 AM
Thanks glaws. Unfortunately, the next closest dealer is over an hour away. I think I'll try a couple of the local independent shops. I'm long out of warranty, so it doesn't matter who works on the car anymore. Either that, or I need to start pumping up my biceps so that I can steer the darn thing when the power cuts out.

Here is what The Hack had to say:

If the M3 power steering pump is anything like the regular E46 power steering pump, then it's a "common" problem. I've had my pump fail once, they're actually not too hard to replace and the parts will cost you a few C-notes I believe.

From the description it sounds like belt, so if you're out of warranty your cost would be much less than replacing the pump. Work is actually simple if you have the right tools, a good independent mechanic should be able to take care of it...But it sounds like you're still under full warranty so let the dealership deal with it.

GregE_325
09-18-2003, 08:47 AM
Here is what The Hack had to say:

If the M3 power steering pump is anything like the regular E46 power steering pump, then it's a "common" problem. I've had my pump fail once, they're actually not too hard to replace and the parts will cost you a few C-notes I believe.

From the description it sounds like belt, so if you're out of warranty your cost would be much less than replacing the pump. Work is actually simple if you have the right tools, a good independent mechanic should be able to take care of it...But it sounds like you're still under full warranty so let the dealership deal with it.

Thanks for the ideas. I think the belt would be the first thing I'll go after. I may can do that myself. And if that doesn't work, then I'll have a professional see about the pump itself. I'll take a look at my Bentley manual and see how hard it looks.
The problem manifests itself by a constant grinding sound in low speed turns, as well as the obvious lack of power assist. That's what made me think of the pump instead of the belt at first. But I'm all for trying the easy fixes first to see if they work.

Thank you for your help!

-- Greg

AB
09-18-2003, 09:38 AM
If you don't mind telling me, what was the problem with your power steering pump? I've had my 325 back at the dealership last week for a similar problem. The power steering pump was making all sorts of groaning and grinding noises while at low speeds. I've lost all power steering assist on several occasions.

I have an appt early next week, as I was noticing the same noises on my 330. I took it in when I first heard it, and their response was I had a leaking hose, of which they special ordered. They topped it off and said I would be ok until my appt. :dunno: So far, no more noise.

The HACK
09-18-2003, 10:26 AM
I was going to post something about street racing as it relates to pen*s size until I started reading it. At first I thought "Who'd be stupid enough to race a 325i vs. an M3, or an M3 vs. a 325i?" :eeps: :angel:

glaws
09-18-2003, 10:40 AM
I was going to post something about street racing as it relates to pen*s size until I started reading it. At first I thought "Who'd be stupid enough to race a 325i vs. an M3, or an M3 vs. a 325i?" :eeps: :angel:

:rofl: Well a kid driving a Chevy Surburban gave me a try the other day. Had a little trouble shifting I was :bustingup to hard.

The HACK
09-18-2003, 10:43 AM
:rofl: Well a kid driving a Chevy Surburban gave me a try the other day. Had a little trouble shifting I was :bustingup to hard.

Hm...supposedly guys who drive SUVs are insecure about themselves. Couple that with his desire to "street race" you...I'd have to say his nickname must be "stumpy" or "2 inch erect". :D

glaws
09-18-2003, 10:56 AM
Hm...supposedly guys who drive SUVs are insecure about themselves. Couple that with his desire to "street race" you...I'd have to say his nickname must be "stumpy" or "2 inch erect". :D

Couldnt say. Didn't really race the young fool. There was a slight bend in the road coming up and I didn't want to be responsible for him rolling the damned thing.
:D

The Roadstergal
09-18-2003, 11:15 AM
I thought this was going to be a race story, too. :rofl: It'd be like using a jackhammer to swat flies.

Hm, a friend of mine lost his steering pump on his S54 M in the middle of the Dragon last year... I didn't know that was common. He now says nice things all of the time about Century; they overnighted the part and he made it to HC...

glaws
09-18-2003, 11:50 AM
I thought this was going to be a race story, too. :rofl: It'd be like using a jackhammer to swat flies.

Hm, a friend of mine lost his steering pump on his S54 M in the middle of the Dragon last year... I didn't know that was common. He now says nice things all of the time about Century; they overnighted the part and he made it to HC...

Didn't either, RGal. Matter of fact Hack's comment about it being "not that uncommon" in the E46 series was the first I have heard of it.
About street racing - don't get too many opportunities. What most people see is just an old gray-haired fart driving a little blue car and don't bother me.
:(

Alex Baumann
09-18-2003, 11:58 AM
What most people see is just an old gray-haired fart driving a little blue car and don't bother me.
:(

Hey, it's better than the other way around. I mean an old blue-haired guy driving a little gray car :eeps:

glaws
09-18-2003, 12:07 PM
Hey, it's better than the other way around. I mean an old blue-haired guy driving a little gray car :eeps:

Et Tu Alex !!
:mad: I would have EXPECTED that from Travis.........

The HACK
09-18-2003, 12:14 PM

Well, common isn't exactly the right word. It happens more often than one would think. My power steering pump had a problem, my friend's E30 lost a power steering pump, and reading the various forums it seems like it's a problem that CAN occur, but it's hard to judge how "common" it is without hard data to track how many have failed vs. how many sold.

It certainly isn't as "common" as say, the shock mount problem or the old plastic impeller water pump problem. :dunno:

GregE_325
09-18-2003, 12:50 PM
I have an appt early next week, as I was noticing the same noises on my 330. I took it in when I first heard it, and their response was I had a leaking hose, of which they special ordered. They topped it off and said I would be ok until my appt. :dunno: So far, no more noise.

Thanks for the suggestion Ryan. I'll go back and check the hoses myself. When I checked the fluid the other day, is was comfortably in the acceptable range. Since I'm going to check out the belt as glaws suggested, I might as well eyeball the hoses while I'm there.

hmr
09-18-2003, 05:47 PM

Surely, an M3 badged 325 would stand a chance. :D

glaws
09-18-2003, 06:12 PM
Surely, an M3 badged 325 would stand a chance. :D

The badge will add 150 HP? Hmmmmmmmm

The HACK
09-18-2003, 07:47 PM
The badge will add 150 HP? Hmmmmmmmm

No, when two cars with the same "badge" are close enough together there's a HP symbiosis going on...It's like "drafting" in neckcar. The power from the M3 will partially transfer to the 325 because they have the same badge thus making it an even fight. :thumbup:

operknockity
09-18-2003, 07:49 PM
No, when two cars with the same "badge" are close enough together there's a HP symbiosis going on...It's like "drafting" in neckcar. The power from the M3 will partially transfer to the 325 because they have the same badge thus making it an even fight. :thumbup:

:rofl: :rofl:

glaws
09-18-2003, 08:30 PM

Several more scotches and I will understand that perfectly well.
:p