PDA

View Full Version : Shimmy when braking and loose steering

PJG
11-04-2009, 08:23 PM
92' 525i
Does anyone know if the center tie rod should twist front and back? When laying under the car, with car on ramps I grabbed the center tie rod and rotated it front to back, it originally had about 1/4 inch or so of play, it looked to be comming from the joints goint into the arms (pitman & idler), I tightened the bolts and it got a little better, but there is still movement in the joints going into the arms. Is this normal? Could this be causing the loose steering (steering is pretty tight in turns, just loose when going straight) and the shimmy when braking (probably thrust arms, right?)
Are the ebay parts really junk, is Meyele (sp?) OK? I saw them on the AZ auto haus site, pretty good prices, middle of the road....
Thanks for any advice...I am trying to get this car driving straight and solid before tackling the leaks, all while my son plays ameture ice hockey, so $$ is limited, I want to make sure i am buying only what I need and good value for the $$.....

CarDriver
11-04-2009, 08:39 PM
MEYEL is a good brand. Autohauzaz... thats where I got some of my parts from. Shimmy when breaking may very well be the thrust arms. The Drag link, (Center bar) has posible worn ball joints judging from your description.

PJG
11-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the info....sorry about the spelling.......

CarDriver
11-05-2009, 05:21 AM
No worries. If it were not for The "ieSpell" application You would not be able to read anything I wrote. LOL...

http://www.iespell.com/download.php

japbike736
11-29-2009, 10:23 PM
The shimmy when braking my 92 525i was due to warped rotors. I went on e-bay and bought a set of 4 drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads...No more shimmy. Paid about 225.00 for everything..I am very happy with the parts.....