PDA

View Full Version : Panke nominated to Mickeysoft board

Kaz
09-18-2003, 02:35 PM
Um, should the chair of BMW be spending his time and effort being on the board at Microsoft? I'd think he should be spending some time improving the cars, maybe. Or maybe that's too farfetched an idea... :dunno:
--------------------------------------------
Microsoft nominates Panke to expanded board
BMW chief would be first member outside the U.S.

Reuters / September 18, 2003

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Microsoft Corp.'s board of directors has nominated BMW Chairman and Chief Executive Helmut Panke to join in a move designed to increase its number from eight to 10.

The increase is part of the software giant's push to strengthen its corporate governance controls.

Panke, 57, would be Microsoft's first director from outside the United States. It has also nominated former Hughes Electonics Corp. president and ex-AT&T Corp. CFO Charles Noski, 51. General Motors, which owns a 19.8 percent stake in Hughes, is seeking to sell the unit to News Corp.

The new members would stand for election by shareholders at the company's annual meeting in November. Eight currently serving members were all nominated by the board for re-election at the November meeting.

Dr. Panke has worked at BMW AG since 1982 in a variety of positions and, since May 2002, has served as chairman of the board of management.

drmwvr
09-18-2003, 02:59 PM
: popcorn: ...waiting for onslaught of Microsoft/I-Drive jokes :D

Alex Baumann
09-18-2003, 03:01 PM
:cry:

sp330i
09-18-2003, 07:37 PM
This only means that BMW's are now going to be operated by Microsoft based software and need to be rebooted every couple of days.

operknockity
09-18-2003, 07:47 PM
and need to be rebooted every couple of days.
Optimist, ain't ya :rofl: :rofl:

car_for_mom
09-18-2003, 09:24 PM
Now, now, is there going to be some Evil Empire bashing? :D

It always amazes me who sits on whose board...I used to work for Northrop Grumman, at the B2 Division, and I was shocked when I went to work at Avery Dennison, that Kent Kresa, Northrop's CEO was on Avery's board! (Stealth Labels, perhaps???)

Okay, I'll get it out of my system...'tis true that it is a point of pride to see how long one's UNIX system can go without being rebooted (some Sun Microsystems machines I know of haven't been rebooted for about three years.

Now, to be fair, the later versions of Windows are a lot better (XP, Server 2003) - if you configure them correctly and administer them intelligently, they can be highly reliable and scalable.

Wonder what other boards Dr. Pancke sits on?

JetBlack330i
09-18-2003, 09:37 PM
Windoze will never stay up for more than a week.
Even if you do nothing, the weekly critical updates will force you to reboot.

tool119
09-18-2003, 09:54 PM
(Ok, as I'm typing this, there's a rather unsolicited marquee in the top right corner of my screen asking my "Are you balls made of steel?" I find this rather disturbing...)

Anyway to join in... :cry:

1. Does this mean the new HUD will periodically display the Windows "blue screen of death"? What happens then? Pop the clutch while in gear w/forward motion to reboot?

2. Can't I opt for the more expensive, but pleasing-to-the eye and reliable Apple version of BMW software (UNIX-based)?

Pete Teoh
09-18-2003, 11:02 PM
This only means that BMW's are now going to be operated by Microsoft based software and need to be rebooted every couple of days.
Guess what? It's already happened.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2002/mar02/03-04BMWpr.asp

Microsoft Technology Hits the Road in BMW 7 Series

Microsoft Navigates the Automotive Industry, Enhances the Driver Experience

REDMOND, Wash. -- March 4, 2002 -- Microsoft Corp. today announced that the BMW 7 Series, the line of cars introduced last month in the United States, features Microsoft’s robust, real-time embedded operating system, Windows® CE. This announcement comes shortly after Microsoft’s Automotive Business Unit launched Windows CE for Automotive v3.5, the newest version of its telematics software platform based on Windows CE, and announced an end-to-end solution to enable the auto industry to cost-effectively implement and maintain advanced automotive telematics.

operknockity
09-18-2003, 11:16 PM
Okay, I'll get it out of my system...'tis true that it is a point of pride to see how long one's UNIX system can go without being rebooted (some Sun Microsystems machines I know of haven't been rebooted for about three years.

My last comment on this subject (at least in this thread;-)...

If'n ya wanna talk about up-time capability of hardware and operating systems, the record is held by a digital equipment corp VAX/VMS (a real OS, not some toy pseudo-virus-cum-program-loader or a lab experiment that escaped) system run by the Irish National Railroad which had never ever been rebooted or power cycled in 17 (yes, SEVENTEEN!) years, and though running a very old version of VMS, it still survived Y2K with narry a problem. Take that Microsquat!

I feel much better now :rofl:

Parrain
09-19-2003, 12:29 AM
All kidding aside, does anyone think that this will affect BMW? From what I know, being on the board of a company just means that you get to vote every now and then (and probably get paid too), but you don't have much responsibilty other than that.

I don't know much about Panke. Isn't Panke a real BMW enthusiast?

Artslinger
09-19-2003, 05:50 AM
Wish I worked for MS... nice discounts on BMW for the employees.

LmtdSlip
09-19-2003, 07:44 AM
Panke has to build his retirement fund somehow.

Plus he probably wants to be invited to those brainiac parties that Bill and his buddy Warren throw.

elbert
09-19-2003, 07:46 AM
I don't know much about Panke. Isn't Panke a real BMW enthusiast?

No. I think he joined in the 90's. It should come as no surprise that he's yet another bean counter.

elbert
09-19-2003, 07:48 AM
Plus he probably wants to be invited to those brainiac parties that Bill and his buddy Warren throw.

Hope he knows how to play bridge and eats at McDonalds (seriously, that's what Bill and Warren do).

Kaz
09-19-2003, 09:36 AM
If you've read any of the recent articles on Panke, it looks pretty obvious that he's a bean counter, not a car enthusiast. I forgot where I read them (one was in a mainstream US car mag) I couldn't help but think about Ron Zarella, the brand-managing maniac that drove GM into the ground (more than what it could have done on its own).

Parrain
09-19-2003, 11:54 PM
Hmmm, a bean counter and not an enthusiast. D'oh!

Is he the one responsible for expanding the line-up (each series getting a sedan, coupe, SAV & wagon)? I thought that was BMW's plan for the future anyhow, so I was suprised to see in another recent post about the 1 series that we may only get one or two versions. Could that be? I could have sworn that I heard that the model line-up will increase with the ultimate goal of selling many many more cars per year.

My only objection to this is the possible loss of quality and of probably ever getting Individual to come to the US (with so many choices why would they bother?).

milski
09-28-2003, 12:13 PM
Wish I worked for MS... nice discounts on BMW for the employees.

There used to be a discount for MS employess a couple of years ago. It's gone now though. :(