PDA

View Full Version : Wheel shopping time!

Veloce300DT
11-08-2009, 02:44 PM
Ok.... back on track with the E34 project. I have a 1992 525i, Alpine White/Navy. 190K miles... and still going strong. Pardon the low quality cell pics below.

The car has been a major workhorse and had received little love over the past year. The front end is getting a rebuild, and I will be installing an Eibach Pro-Kit to bring the ride height down a bit.

The car is currently sitting on its stock Style 2 15" wheels, and the tires are shot. I really would like to use this opportunity to plus size to a 16" or 17" wheel. After the suspension is sorted and new wheels are on, I will be adding the Rieger Infinity front lip and probably a set of BavAuto OEM mud flaps for the euro-look..... I'm a sucker for mud flaps!

ANYWAYS

The IDEAL wheel for me would be the BBS RC..... have always LOVED that design. I really dont want to spend BBS money though, so I have been shopping around for lower priced alternatives. I jumped on a set of M6 replicas, and discovered that I really did not like them on the car once they were mounted up. Back to the drawing board. I think a wheel with more than 5 spokes suits my taste a bit more.........

Much to my surprise, TSW has released 2 wheel designs that I actually like quite a bit;

The Donington, and Nurburgring

The Donington is available in a 17x8 size 5x120 bolt pattern, with an offset of 20.... PERFECT fit. Sizing options for the Nurburgring are TBA.

Im pretty much convinced that the Donington is the wheel I will go with. Any opinions on this design? Any other wheel style suggestions? I do not want to go any larger that 17"....

Seems the Donington offers a nice blocky take on the BBS multi-spoke look, and may fit well with the lines of the E34 without being overwhelming.

There are a few OE E39 17" wheels that are tempting, but finding a set for the right price is a challenge......

There really are just so many wheel options out there that it can be a but overwhelming... so any input is greatly appreciated!

CarDriver
11-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Check out bavauto. I am partial to the Beyern Mesh. They are available in 17" And they come in black, bright silver or chrome and you can get staggerd widths.

If you prefer the graphite look, Duplicolor make a wheel paint that comes in graphite color and works well. It would be a snap to buy the bright silver and shoot them in graphite as the rims woule be new with no tires on them. I have used the paint before and it works great. When I redid my wheels I chose to shoot clear over the paint for a glossyer look. You could even paint the spokes and leave the lip silver? Wicked Mon!!

And +1 on the 17". Not too good to go much larger.

Veloce300DT
11-08-2009, 03:20 PM
hi CarDriver! ...thanks for the suggestion. I have thought about the Beyern Mesh for a while, but in a 17" size that wheel has very little lip.... the larger diameter version looks great as it has a deeper lip.... but I don't want to go past a 17" size wheel.

The 17" ESM type 012 has crossed my mind...Similar to the Beyern but I like that it has a more defined lip over that of the 17" Beyern Mesh. It definitely has a more old school style to it as well. Not so sure about the finish color, but that can be changed.

Hmmmmmmm

Veloce300DT
11-08-2009, 03:34 PM
A completely different direction! ....being a HUGE fan of the old Ronal Turbo wheels I cannot help but druel over the new Ronal R50..... Even if it is an 18" wheel. Call me crazy, but if Ronal still had U.S. distribution I would be VERY inclined to go with these..... the nice thing about the R50 is that the "Aero 18" script is NOT embossed into the wheel like the old "Turbo" script.... they are decals so they do not have to be painted over! They are available in a 5x120 bolt pattern, various offsets... but NOT in the US..... and importing a set would be far too costly to justify.

I must say though that this wheel, with polished centers rather than black, would look insanely nice on a dropped E34..... and without doubt STUNNING on an E23/E28/E30 etc.....

They are a love it or hate it design.... and they make a statement. RONAL, come back to the U.S.!!!!

CarDriver
11-08-2009, 03:53 PM
hi CarDriver! ...thanks for the suggestion. I have thought about the Beyern Mesh for a while, but in a 17" size that wheel has very little lip.... the larger diameter version looks great as it has a deeper lip.... but I don't want to go past a 17" size wheel.

The 17" ESM type 012 has crossed my mind...Similar to the Beyern but I like that it has a more defined lip over that of the 17" Beyern Mesh. It definitely has a more old school style to it as well. Not so sure about the finish color, but that can be changed.

Hmmmmmmm
Yes, those are cool too. I have Rondell Type 21 on my Sedan. I may just stick with the BBS that I have on the touring.

Veloce300DT
11-08-2009, 06:26 PM
^^^^LOVE the Rondell Type 21's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those are amazing wheels..... rare too! That DEEP dished look is AMAZING..... If I could get my hands on a set of those there'd be NO question.

Also LOVE Borbet Type A's and Azev A's...... used to have a set on a W202 I had.

I'm still drawn to the Doningtons.... or even the Nurburgring's.... The machined look on the Doningtons might be a little bright, and the Nurburgring's look sharp in Matte Black... though I'd probably opt for the hyper silver version.

Choices choices.......

bE34ST
11-08-2009, 08:40 PM

Hmmmmmmm

I LOOVE these wheels.
They make me want an E30 to put them on.

Veloce300DT
11-08-2009, 11:48 PM
For sure! The ESM type 012's are the perfect wheel for a plus sized OEM look on an E30!!!! They might look very good on an E34, but there couldnt be a more fitting design for the E30.

Veloce300DT
11-09-2009, 12:32 AM
Heres another pic of the TSW Nurburgring...... machined finish. Definitely a good looking wheel!!!! VERY TEMPTING!

CarDriver
11-09-2009, 05:43 AM
Heres another pic of the TSW Nurburgring...... machined finish. Definitely a good looking wheel!!!! VERY TEMPTING!

yeah Man! They are nice. Makes me want to rethink the BBS on my touring but the car seems to love them and I must keep him Happy. LOL...

Veloce300DT
11-09-2009, 12:21 PM
I think I am 95% settled with the Nurburgring. Putting a call in to TSW to see if they are avail in the right bolt pattern/offset. They look GREAT with the machined/silver finish.

What kind of BBS wheels are on your touring?

CarDriver
11-09-2009, 01:29 PM
I think I am 95% settled with the Nurburgring. Putting a call in to TSW to see if they are avail in the right bolt pattern/offset. They look GREAT with the machined/silver finish.

What kind of BBS wheels are on your touring?

Funny you should ask. I have yet to identify them. I need to get a new center cap for one of the wheels. I put in a call to a BBS USA Rep and he told me to just get him a photo and he would be able to tell me but I have not done so yet. :eek: Just was not that high in the list of things to do.

CarDriver
11-09-2009, 01:42 PM
^^^^LOVE the Rondell Type 21's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those are amazing wheels..... rare too! That DEEP dished look is AMAZING..... If I could get my hands on a set of those there'd be NO question.

Also LOVE Borbet Type A's and Azev A's...... used to have a set on a W202 I had.

I'm still drawn to the Doningtons.... or even the Nurburgring's.... The machined look on the Doningtons might be a little bright, and the Nurburgring's look sharp in Matte Black... though I'd probably opt for the hyper silver version.

Choices choices.......\

http://www.rondell.co.uk/1piece.php

Veloce300DT
11-09-2009, 02:47 PM
Well, I put in a call to TSW.... and as I had suspected, the Nurburgring is a brand new design.... they just previewed it at SEMA and will not have more specs on sizing and fitment applications until the production details are finalized; The Nurburgring design received LOTS of praise at SEMA and it WILL be going into production..... it will however not be available until Feb. or March 2010. Pricing will start at around $180/wheel.... not bad. It should be available in a 5x120/et20 set up.

HMMMMMMMM

My tires are shot, and I need to make a decision quick. I could throw on a set of fresh 205/65/15 rubber and wait it out until the Nurburgring is available.... OR go with the Donington in a 17x8.

Those Rondells are yummy!!!!!!!!!! Your BBS 5-spokes seem like a design I have seen on a few E34's around town every now and then... were they a 90's BMW dealer accessory wheel?

CarDriver
11-09-2009, 04:13 PM
I am not realy sure about that as they were on the car when I bought it from the 2nd owner. And thaks for reminding me... I have all the ppw from the first owner and second. It was a well documented car. I am sure they were purchased seperately as I was also given the stock rims that came with it. I should be able to look through the documentation (for real this time. LOL...) that I have and find a reciept for the rims. I had never thought of that.

By the way. Fuzion makes a decent all season radial for about 55 bucks each. They will do you well for the interum. The best price (taking shipping cost into account) is from discouttirezone

http://www.discounttirezone.com/FUZION-HRi-20565R15-94H-_p_26-329.html

http://www.discounttirezone.com/NANKANG-XR-611-20565R15-95H-_p_145-1291.html

nmp411
11-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Get these!
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1316776

Veloce300DT
11-10-2009, 08:21 AM
CarDriver, thanks for the heads up on discounttiirezone..... and the tire recc.! I have been pretty partial to Kumho Ecsta ASX and Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S.... I think the E34 has Nankangs on the rear and some other funny brand up front- car was in the hands of a friend for almost a year and the tires were one of the few things that got a little funky in the time he had it.... can't wait to get some decent rubber on there again.

So I ordered new center caps from BavAuto for the stock wheels.... if I am going to keep em and wait until the Nurburgring is out at least they wont look to shabby. But the more I think about it the more I think I might just jump on the Doningtons and give em a try. I think theyll look sharp, a little bit different.

nmp411, Those Rondell Type58's are REALLY tempting... and you are local as well. LOVE the deep lip!!!!!!!

Lots to think about here!!!!!

nmp411
11-10-2009, 11:45 AM
just to be clear, those aren't mine, just some I saw for sale. I would buy them in a heartbeat if I could afford it!!!!!!

Veloce300DT
11-10-2009, 01:47 PM
LOL some how I missed that before posting last reply- they are being sold by wharthog! Sorry! YES they are AMAZING wheels..... people are all over them on that thread!