PDA

View Full Version : Just not meant to have a 7

baf3472
11-09-2009, 07:58 PM
Seriously, my car has 3000 miles on it and i dont think i even want it anymore. First door panels get ruined by tint guy, drive to charlotte to get fixed, windows freak out and lower on there own right after new tint job is done, new tint job ruined, windows decide they wont roll up, im pissed curb one of my wheels, drive home it starts drizzling, dump truck dumps a load of gravel about 200 feet in front of me while doing 70, swerve and miss most of them, almost cause a huge pile up, dropped it off at dealers and i think im just gonna trade it in and get something else, seriously this car is just jinxed.
sorry just needed to vent

Leslierc
11-10-2009, 04:08 AM
I feel your frustration, but the car isn't jinxed. The tint job seems to be the root cause of everything you describe as wrong with the car. My guess is that the person who applied the tint, in addition to doing a poor job, may have damaged the sensors, controls, or mechanisms related to the windows. Your rim was curbed perhaps because you're not quite yet accustomed to the size of the car. That's happened to me and, I'm sure, also to a lot of folks here. Plus, you're quite distracted and, apparently, upset by what's happening with the windows. Nothing you've described as wrong is mechanical and it would seem that everything that's problematic with the car can be corrected, including the curb rash. Practically speaking, you would be taking a huge financial loss if you traded-in the car now. Personally, I think the new 7 is drop-dead gorgeous. I received the Neiman Marcus Christmas Book yesterday and it's featuring the new Jaguar luxury sedan which, while a different and nice direction for Jaguar, cannot hold a candle to the F01. Same for the Lexus LS and Mercedes S-Class. Hands-down, the 7 is at the head of this class. So, take a breath, step away from the situation, let the dealer repair the car, and do a little research (if you need to) to refresh your recollection about why you made the correct decision in choosing your car. Also, put a clear bra on that beast.

Good luck!

6spdg37s
11-10-2009, 05:07 AM
yea bro car isnt jinxed sounds like your tinter jsut F-d up. You get what you pay for generally, but on top of that I would go to a tinter that comes highly recommended from someone. Im up in NY/NJ I get all my Tints and everything else done at Tire Empire in Staten Island, NY. Every other car that comes in is 100+k . I just ogt my 7 tinted the other day. he was doing the new 750 before that, before that an f430 etc;

What appears to have happened is the tinter might have been sloppy or overused the water resulting in (like the member stated above) damaging the roll up sensors, etc; The gravel would have happened regardless, and the curbed rim happens all the time. In fact the 1st month I had my infiniti G37s, I got hit by 2 boxes and an Entire bus wheel on the Staten island expressway. **** happens when you drive whats meant to be driven. GL :(

baf3472
11-10-2009, 08:32 AM
i know what you guys mean. i was just frusterated. I had the first tint job done at the place BMW, mercedes etc send theres. Supposed to be the best in my area. oh well. Well see whay happens today when i ppick up the car. Funny thing, tint place and bmw didnt want to take responsibility so im paying the 3500 for the new door panels out of pocket and now i have to send them out to get tested to see whos to blame and sue them to get the money back. I have a feeling im gonna have to eat this

6spdg37s
11-10-2009, 09:23 AM
yea but that doesnt really mean anythign becuase the place by me the dealers send to be tinted and aftermarket alarms/remote starts etc; are terrible there a bunch of nasty A-holes who have no idea wats going on and charge outragious prices for sh-t tint jobs. In fact my mom just got a new benz, teh guy that sold it to us used to be an employee at the tint shop and straight up said yea we dont use them for anything anymore.

but theres also the possibility you jsut got a bad tinter, or a tinter who was having a bad day. But ive heard horror stories about 7s becoming immobilized after a poor tinting job ( water dripping down the rear deck into the trunk area where one of the computers were located and such. I also always hang around while stuff is being done to my car. not even tomake them feel like im watching but if somethign god forbid does happen you know it was there fault or not their fault. plus i find this stuff all very itneresting

Leslierc
11-10-2009, 10:07 AM
Funny thing, tint place and bmw didnt want to take responsibility so im paying the 3500 for the new door panels out of pocket and now i have to send them out to get tested to see whos to blame and sue them to get the money back.

WTF?!? If the door panels are damaged, it's either a defect (BMW's responsibility) or the tint shop that did it. My money says it's the tint shop's fault. At the very least, the dealer should be in a position to tell you the cause of this damage. If you know a lawyer, get them engaged now. No way should you have to pay for replacing the door panels! One other question: did you or the dealer take the car to the tint shop? If you left the car with the dealer and they took it for the tint, then it's between the tint shop and the dealer to make you whole.

baf3472
11-10-2009, 12:09 PM
WTF?!? If the door panels are damaged, it's either a defect (BMW's responsibility) or the tint shop that did it. My money says it's the tint shop's fault. At the very least, the dealer should be in a position to tell you the cause of this damage. If you know a lawyer, get them engaged now. No way should you have to pay for replacing the door panels! One other question: did you or the dealer take the car to the tint shop? If you left the car with the dealer and they took it for the tint, then it's between the tint shop and the dealer to make you whole.

I took the car to the tint shop based on the dealers reccomendation. BMW did send an engineer to look at them and he thought it was from the tinters. As of right now what were doing is im paying for the replacement and BMW is having the panels sent out for testing. If its a defect, BMW said they will reimburse me. If its the tint shops fault, which i think it is, i will sue them to get reimbursed.

Leslierc
11-10-2009, 05:11 PM
I'm flabbergasted that the tint shop isn't stepping forward. Are they saying that nothing is their fault? In repairing the door on my M6, the body shop I used damaged the door panel by cutting the leather wrapped handle and when I called this to their attention they replaced it with a new one; no questions, no fussing. If your dealer recommended this tint shop, you should make them aware that you're now forced to sue them to compensate you for repairing their shoddy work and mistakes. Be sure to get in writing the dealer's findings regarding the door panel.

BMR2009
11-10-2009, 06:39 PM
I just had my new 7 tinted with ceramic tint from Formula one after reading several articles on here. It's only been a day and I haven't been able to test the windows so can't comment on damage. I will say the car was an absolute disaster when I went to pick it up from the tint shop; water on the panels, outside of the car, door jams where it had dried and stained. I had to pull out my leather cleaner and conditioner to get the stains out. I rolled up the shades and soapy water was dripping off of one of the rear passenger seat shade panels. I wiped all the soapy water off the best I could to be sure I didn't touch the glass at all.

While I currently have several bubbles on the rear glass, and just about every other window, I will withold judgement for several days. I am disappointed in the condition of my car though. The car was completely detailed when it was taken to them and I got it back in an absolute mess. Taking five minutes to wipe the inside of the panels down as you finish each window would be the very least I would expect. However, I am pleased with the color and the work if it clears.

I'll keep you all posted.

You should not be out a cent. Get an attorney involved as soon as possible as the tint shop has liability insurance to cover the damages they cause. Sometimes they just need a little (or big) nudge. You will recover all legal fees as well. Be sure ONLY BMW troubleshoots the problems and provides a VERY detailed explanation IN WRITING. It will be your best evidence against the shop if it is needed.

baf3472
11-10-2009, 06:43 PM
I'm flabbergasted that the tint shop isn't stepping forward. Are they saying that nothing is their fault? In repairing the door on my M6, the body shop I used damaged the door panel by cutting the leather wrapped handle and when I called this to their attention they replaced it with a new one; no questions, no fussing. If your dealer recommended this tint shop, you should make them aware that you're now forced to sue them to compensate you for repairing their shoddy work and mistakes. Be sure to get in writing the dealer's findings regarding the door panel.

Yeah the tint shop is saying its not there fault the panels got Damaged. Theyre trying to blame everyone from bmw design to me. Bmw is sending the panels out to get tested but to be honest theyre not backing me up the way i thought they would. Ive been asking for a written report from the engineer for a month now and all i get is the service manager telling me hell email the engineer. You would think they would at least try and look out for me after i just bought a 100,000 car and spent thousands more on repairs for my M5 there. I just have a very bad feeling that im gonna get stuck paying for the panels out of my own pocket.
Just wondering if anyone has tinted their windows and had similar issues. I had them retinted yesterday and i was there the whole time while the guys tinted the windows, they taped and covered the whole door panel and when they were done, one of the sides in the front had what looked like more damage. Basically the damage is the foam BEHIND the leather looks like it got soaked and swelled. I mentioned this to my service advisor and he said they would get it out for testing and see what they say.

BMR2009
11-10-2009, 07:21 PM
I wish I had read this before getting them tinted. I'm not sure if it would have affected my decision to tint, but I would have been more cautious.

baf3472
11-10-2009, 08:32 PM
I had the same problem with the first shop. There was water and soap dried on the panel when i picked it up. Keep in mind this is supposed to be the "highend" tint shop in Columbia sc.
Here is what the damage looks like. Its not the actual leather thats damaged but the foam behind it. Its just a weird thing cause the shop that retinted taped EVERYTHING on the panel before they started and after they were done the damage had gotten worse so water was still finding its way back there.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/baf3472/001.jpg

6spdg37s
11-11-2009, 05:21 AM
of course there gonna deny it , the tinter doesnt want to lose their job and the shop doesnt wanna foot the bill.. have your lawyer give them a call see how they feel

ZedJes
01-25-2010, 10:39 AM
I was seriously thinking about getting my windows tinted on my 750LI but after reading about your experience I will be content with using the shades that come with the car. Have to remember the actual guys doing the tints are hourly paid and don't give a **** about others peoples property. They only way I will get my tints now is I have a copy of the shops insurance policy in my hand!!

armenian
01-26-2010, 12:23 PM
I just had my new 7 tinted with ceramic tint from Formula one after reading several articles on here. It's only been a day and I haven't been able to test the windows so can't comment on damage. I will say the car was an absolute disaster when I went to pick it up from the tint shop; water on the panels, outside of the car, door jams where it had dried and stained. I had to pull out my leather cleaner and conditioner to get the stains out. I rolled up the shades and soapy water was dripping off of one of the rear passenger seat shade panels. I wiped all the soapy water off the best I could to be sure I didn't touch the glass at all.

While I currently have several bubbles on the rear glass, and just about every other window, I will withold judgement for several days. I am disappointed in the condition of my car though. The car was completely detailed when it was taken to them and I got it back in an absolute mess. Taking five minutes to wipe the inside of the panels down as you finish each window would be the very least I would expect. However, I am pleased with the color and the work if it clears.

I'll keep you all posted.

You should not be out a cent. Get an attorney involved as soon as possible as the tint shop has liability insurance to cover the damages they cause. Sometimes they just need a little (or big) nudge. You will recover all legal fees as well. Be sure ONLY BMW troubleshoots the problems and provides a VERY detailed explanation IN WRITING. It will be your best evidence against the shop if it is needed.

Do you have an update on your windows?

baf3472
01-26-2010, 12:59 PM
I had them redone at another shop. The new shop was way more careful and did a much better job. Is it perfect? No its not but im gonna assume whatever bubbles or defects are there are from them not removing all the old glue. I also had the door panels replaced at 2300 bucks a side. Im waiting for a court date as i've had to sue the tint shop to get the money.

OnlySkills
02-03-2010, 01:50 PM
Good luck on the tint shop sue...Lol

and that window thing is very expensive

Wilassasin
02-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Sorry to hear it guy, cheer up things will get better!