PDA

View Full Version : e34 steering box rebuild kit available?

PJG
11-10-2009, 11:35 AM
Hi all,
I bought a used steering box for my 92' 525 and just ordered all new control arms and tie rods....I hope this will tighten up the steering and eliminate the shimmy when braking. My question is this: does anyone know of a kit available to rebuild the steering box? I have the box that was taken out just sitting on my bench, I was thinking that if a kit is available I may as well rebuild this one and throw it back in at some point....Thanks!

CarDriver
11-10-2009, 01:30 PM
http://www.pskits.com/catalog/pumpbmw-c-61_65.html

Maybe???

PJG
11-10-2009, 08:07 PM
I saw this website earlier today....looks like it is only pump rebuild kits....Thanks for trying though:thumbup:
I guess this will go on the backburner for now as I was just out trying to disassemble the control arms and tie rods....started to rain though:thumbdwn:,thought I'd come in for a fresh beer and check the posts.... I really hope that I will not need another box, we'll see after I get the new parts in.....hopefully the car will go straight down the road, turn when I turn the wheel, and not shimmy when I hit the brakes....then I can look into the oil leaks.....This car is going to keep me busy for a while but so far I think it is worth the effort.....I really need to get my garage cleared out though, getting rained on sucks.
I have to say that this site is awesome... Hopefully some day I will know enough about these cars to help someone in the same situation I find myself in today. :)
Thanks again!

CarDriver
11-11-2009, 03:21 AM
I saw this website earlier today....looks like it is only pump rebuild kits....Thanks for trying though:thumbup:
I guess this will go on the backburner for now as I was just out trying to disassemble the control arms and tie rods....started to rain though:thumbdwn:,thought I'd come in for a fresh beer and check the posts.... I really hope that I will not need another box, we'll see after I get the new parts in.....hopefully the car will go straight down the road, turn when I turn the wheel, and not shimmy when I hit the brakes....then I can look into the oil leaks.....This car is going to keep me busy for a while but so far I think it is worth the effort.....I really need to get my garage cleared out though, getting rained on sucks.
I have to say that this site is awesome... Hopefully some day I will know enough about these cars to help someone in the same situation I find myself in today. :)
Thanks again!

Sorry for the missread of your question. Thats what I thought you were looking for :eeps:

My Bad.

And that is a great outlook you have. When I first joined this website I had just gotten my first E34 and was having a problem with my head lights. Not even the mechanic I got the car from could figure it out. I did not know crap about E34s.

Someone on this site refered me to http://www.bmwe34.net I found detailed instructions there on how to repair the bords in the LKM and saved myself god knows how many hundreds as my next step would have been an automotive electricion. I would not have known about the LKM either, as everyone was saying that it must be a short. From what I have learned from this site and others, I am now able to help other folks (with some things. LOL...).

Try this. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258261 There is a guy on that post (323I Junkie) that has rebuilt and/or ajusted the boxes before. Sign up and contact him. He should be able to help.

:thumbup:

gtopaul
11-14-2009, 05:26 AM
Just get a replacement steering box. I bought one for $30 off ebay with only 50k miles on it for my 92 525iT.

hellspcangel911
11-14-2009, 10:24 PM
Ive been down this road on my 535. I assume that you ahve tried adjusting it already and to no avail.
Forget about trying to find a kit, they dont make it and those places that do have a 'kit' wont sell it to you because they make too much on rebuilding the units and selling them for 800$
If you want to buy a used unit, look for one where the adjustment on the front of it is still covered by a red line of paint showing that it has never been adjusted after leaving the factory. aside from that you dont really know how used it is even if the ebay listing says its only got 50k on it.
I have an extra one I originally purchased but then ended up rebuilding mine if youre interested.
I strongly advice you not to rebuild it unless you are interested in the work and have access to machinery (I used my lathe for quite a bit of work).
In my case the worm gear was worn so i took the internals out and swaped them with a M5 euro box, machining the collar to fit the boxand two parts had to be CNCed to fit. thenew box is very tight but it wasnt worth the hassle of rebuilding

gtopaul
11-15-2009, 07:16 AM
aside from that you dont really know how used it is even if the ebay listing says its only got 50k on it.

Well you do have to check and in this case it came from an individual that was parting a car with only 50k miles on it and I saw the odometer.

In any case, here's the place to avoid all the hassles or rebuilding, and all the experts. I bought one of these boxes for my 93 M5 and it did the trick.

http://www.remsteering.com/store/pc/showsearchresults.asp?pageStyle=M&idCategory=867&resultCnt=10&submit.x=8&submit.y=6