PDA

View Full Version : Fingernail Test

Intermezzo
03-26-2002, 02:41 PM
I've seen a few threads here alluding to the 'fingernail test' to determine if your car is still being protected or not. How exactly is this done? I couldn't find anything by doing a search.

Thanks.

Guest84
03-26-2002, 05:16 PM
Its slang term. Basically it relates to lightly rubbing the end of your fingernail over a finish, if theres resistence similiar to a chalkboard (Best description, though not that extensive) then the wax is gone. Try this on a friends old beater that has an oxidized (worst case scenario) or a non-waxed paint finish.

If its extremely slippery with no resistance, its sign of a coat of wax is still adhering to the surface of the clear coat. As soon as you start feeling resistance, its a sign that the wax could be indeed 'wearing off'.

Others tests are noting the size of the water droplets on your hood after a medium rain. Over time, they will start to disipate, blending into one another while the surface is stationary, rather than separate "bulbs" of water. Their height too is decreased(as well as their size), flattening out as the wax wears out.

Airflow of the moving vehicle or sudden stops, should quickly propel the beads of water off the hood.

A freshly waxed hood will repel 95% of the water from a straight hose water flow on surfaces such as the hood, trunk or top.

Intermezzo
03-27-2002, 08:15 AM
That's interesting Ripsnort. Thanks for the info! Up until now, I've been using my fingerTIPS after washing the car to pretty much test the same thing you do with the fingernail. I suppose the fingernail method is safer.

Guest84
03-27-2002, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Intermezzo
That's interesting Ripsnort. Thanks for the info! Up until now, I've been using my fingerTIPS after washing the car to pretty much test the same thing you do with the fingernail. I suppose the fingernail method is safer.

Hey, if your skin on your finger tips is dried out, it probably has the same result as far as "feel" goes...I usually do it in an area not noticeable since you can induce a 'swirl mark' in the area you test if you do it too hard.