PDA

View Full Version : Has "Update album data online" been ditched in 2010 MY vehicles?

rgbyhkr
11-11-2009, 10:29 AM
I know, I'm a ridiculous geek. However, as I wait the arrival of my 2010 750 (at port awaiting a shipping vessel), all I can do is go through the manual to check out the features. I noticed something missing that I had seen on the 2009s.

Basically, when you insert a CD to rip to the hard drive, the system has a stored database of CDs that it recognizes. Of course, regardless of how current that database is when it leaves the factory, it goes out of date immediately as new music CDs are released every week. So, according to the 09 owner's manual, there was a feature called "Update album data online" (Highlight a stored album, choose options and "Update Album Data" should be in between Rename Album and Delete album). It looks like it would use the car's data connection via BMW Search to go out to the net to retrieve album, artist and track naming info for an unrecognized CD. In the 2010 owner's manual though, that feature is nowhere to be found.

Anyone know if this function is there in 2010 models but just not documented? BTW, you can always rename an unknown disc manually or, even better, just rip the disc on your computer at home (where tagging info is always up to date via the net) and then transfer the music to the car via a USB drive. In fact, if you wanted to rip a bunch of CDs to the car, I would recommend going this route anyway as it would be much faster than one at a time in the car's own CD player.

Jeff

csmeance
11-11-2009, 07:36 PM
maybe BMW has changed it to where the dealer updates it or the end user updates it via a usb drive...

rgbyhkr
11-12-2009, 05:40 AM
maybe BMW has changed it to where the dealer updates it or the end user updates it via a usb drive...

That was my guess (dealer upgrade as part of regular maintenance or perhaps as part of a nav update). If it is user updateable, the general pdf manual you can get off of the BMW website doesn't say anything about it. Assuming it has been removed, that's one less reason to subscribe to BMW Search (it is part of the $199/year BMW Assist Convenience Plan) though I highly doubt many owners would have used this feature, let alone even know it existed.

Jeff