PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump Installation.

jimen009
11-12-2009, 10:57 AM
Hi everyone, my e34 just died on me. After doing some in depth research I am fairly certain that it's my fuel pump. I ran it with Fuel light on a couple a times recently, and it turns over pretty strong but doensn't catch. I am going to change the fuel pump relay, fuel pump filter and the fuel pump.

Anyhow, I've read several posts on changing the pump and the fuel filter and I am pumped about doing it myself but I'd like to know what all tools I will need for the the two jobs. I want to do this right. Any help is greatly appreciated as this is my first time going to work on my bimmer!

Thanks!

Ronnie

yaofeng
11-12-2009, 11:36 AM
You will find the job very simple. The only warning I will give you is after you remove the lid (6 philips screws) trying to losen the M6 nut (8 I believe) and find it would not budge, do not force it. Spray liquid wrench and let it sit for an hour or so before procedding. You do not want to snap the studs off on the fuel pump cover.

Other than that it is really a piece of cake.

donj62
11-12-2009, 08:28 PM
For the fuel filter - be sure to use new hose clamps.
Same for the supply and return hoses going to the fuel pump sending unit.
I jacked up the rear of my car to easily access the filter - it is near right side of rear axle.

I replaced the pump on my E34 (535i) last summer - one of the easiest jobs I have ever done.

Just need a few small wrenches, screw drivers and pliers (to remove factory crimped hose clamps).

If you search on Google - you can find sites where people give step - by - step instructions and include photos.

But before you replace it - be sure it is not the relay - you can pull the relay and jumper two of the slots and if your pump is good, you will here it run (might need someone to listen while you jump the relay slots).

ruf-porsche
11-30-2009, 04:42 PM
Don't smoke while replacing the fuel pump. It would be nice if the tank was half empy. If not jack the right side of the car up so that the fuel will slosh over to the left side.

autoposer
06-08-2010, 07:06 PM
I just changed mine yesterday and found it very difficult to get the pump in with the new ring seal. I eventually installed the ring seal first and then pushed the pump in (still very difficult). Does anyone know if the seal should be lubricated prior to installation?