PDA

View Full Version : Squeeeeeeeeeky Brakes driving me nuts!

wildwise
11-12-2009, 02:57 PM
I have a 1990 535i with about 8K miles on new brakes, but the breaks squeek almost constantly now. It's starts when I apply the brakes but will continue on after i take of again and will continue-sometimes not stoping at all. Any ideas??:dunno:

Tourburgring
11-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Give the pads a good soaking of a quality synthetic oil, that should do the trick :D:rofl::D

I assume you bedded the pads & rotors in correctly after installation. If not the pads can glaze over and that can cause squealing. To bed new pads in you should find a quiet road get up to about 30mph (check nobody is following you) and then brake hard to a full stop. Drive on using the brakes as little as possible for at least 30 seconds then repaet the procedure. Do this 3 times in total then return home using the brakes lightly and let them cool off completely before re-using the car. If the pads are already glazed, you may have to remove them and use an abrasive like emory cloth to remove the surface and expose new pad surface - do this on a flat surface.

Did you change the brakes yourself? If so did you apply a light coating of anti-squeal compound to the back of eack brake pad before installation? Another trick is to chamfer the side edges of the pad slightly, this sometimes helps. What pads did you use, stock or a metallic compound? The metallic compound pads are more prone to squealing on some cars.

wildwise
11-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the info! The brakes were done at a local Bimmer repair place. I bought the car this past summer, and the squeaking has just progressively gotten worse. The car has been through a couple of inspections since I bought it and they said the brakes looked good? Anyway, thanks again for the help. I'll try your suggestion. I'll probably do a break job myself pretty soon, but I've got other issues with it I'm working on now!