PDA

View Full Version : Won't stay in idle! Popping sound!

Viktor
11-12-2009, 04:07 PM
I tried to start my car this morning, it was running just fine last night. It won't stay in idle and it makes a popping sound! The electricity runs fine. The last thing I did was refill the battery cells. Service Indicator isn't in the red yet. I recorded what it sounds like, the recording doesn't sound as bad as it can be. I'm afraid to keep trying! I can't upload files here, so I upped it on mediafire... maybe someone can tell by the way it sounds? The second try you can hear the pop, it sounded WAY worst... I hope I didn't make it worst. My mechanic does not get back til later...

Here is the link
http://www.mediafire.com/file/mdzvnyztwyz/file0050.mp3

Its a very tiny mp3 sample, no more than 150kb.

Thanks in advance!

ross1
11-13-2009, 08:40 AM
It's backfiring through the intake. Likely either a big vacuum leak, loose or broken hose/fitting, etc. or you might have jumped the timing belt

Viktor
11-13-2009, 11:23 AM
thanks for the tips, Ross! yeah it wont even accelerate. have to push it back in the garage so I can start taking a closer look at it. Im stuck at home! stomp test isnt working.

ross1
11-13-2009, 01:05 PM
thanks for the tips, Ross! yeah it wont even accelerate. have to push it back in the garage so I can start taking a closer look at it. Im stuck at home! stomp test isnt working.

I think a bum temp sensor could lean it out enough when cold to make it backfire also. Just plugging a new one into the harness is one way to check.

Viktor
11-13-2009, 11:03 PM
Thanks! Is the ECT and Cooling Temp the same thing? I see it on AutoHaus but trying to get it local ASAP, Autozone says Cooling Temp Sensor.