PDA

View Full Version : Considering a engine cleaning or flush

BrothaMansWhip2
11-13-2009, 01:52 PM
I'd like to clean out my engine but I'm not familiar with the process. I've heard names like seafoam and other infomercial stuff.
I have the M50 engine. has anyone done this and what were the results?

ross1
11-13-2009, 02:07 PM
Just change your oil with good oil. If you have a sludge build-up change it several times at short intervals.

BrothaMansWhip2
11-13-2009, 03:17 PM
what do you recommend?

ross1
11-15-2009, 06:22 AM
Any name brand oil and a good filter is fine, check the owner's manual.
If you suspect your engien to dirty inside tear aprt the filters when you remove them and inspect for dirt. As the short oil changes start cleaning things up you'll notice less and less after a while.

Tourburgring
11-15-2009, 10:46 AM
what do you recommend?

A quality true Synthetic Oil such as Mobil-1 will not only clean your engine internally but will provide superior lubrication. Obviously you pay a Premium but Wallymart sells it for $22 for 5 Quarts and you can leave it in for longer. If you do go the Synthetic route, plan on changing yoir Oil Filter again 500-1000 miles after the oil change. The Synthetic will loosen any accumulated sludge and residue and while this won't plug your filter it will get it dirty. You only need to do this after the initial change to Synthetic. After that just change it with the oil every 8k or so.