PDA

View Full Version : What's gone wrong this year

ngruzevs
11-14-2009, 12:50 PM
It's been a frustating year of ownership and I've spent a lot of $$$. Several times I've considered selling the car but I enjoy driving the car too much.

Here are the items I've replaced this year

ECU
Coil
Windscreen
Tie rods
Lower control arms
Starter motor

Costs coming up include new shock absorbers, new tyres and brakes.

I think it's now time to change it over, I've considered buying a 530i E39, but after reading a thread on the E39 forum about ownership problems and costs it may be time for a change to a Subaru Liberty (Legacy) turbo.

japbike736
11-14-2009, 08:56 PM
Nice car......I have a 92 525i. This year I have replaced all 4 rotors and pads, tires, ignition switch ,both relay modules, half the dash lights ,power steering pressure hose and a new thermostat. Why do I keep this car?? Because of how much fun it is to drive , how great the e34 looks coming down the road and because other brands just don't measure up to the BMW. You have a beautiful car. You won't be happy with anything else..............

Mador
11-14-2009, 09:14 PM
I could say the same thing, Nice SOLID car, ive owned 6 Jap cars previously and this is my first Euro car and im only 20!
I have replaced the Shocks and Springs (Lowered)
New Bushes
Water Pump
New front brakes
But its such an Awesome car, Looks very nice and rides lovely :) Keep it!

Viktor
11-14-2009, 10:13 PM
You are not alone, man.

rdc
11-15-2009, 01:23 AM
To be expected to keep the older cars in good condition.
I read somewhere that it costs about $2,000 US a year to keep an e34 in good condition. I have owned mine almost 7 years.

Each year it seem like some new/odd repair. This year door regulator/motor, knock sensors and Geibo in addition to normal maintainence items. I need to do rear struts and possibly tie rods and may need a fuel pump. Just bought 4 used basketweaves for my winter tires.

See it goes on and on. Still cheaper than a new car.

ross1
11-15-2009, 05:18 AM
Keep the faith. with the exception of coil and ECU that is all normal wear items.