PDA

View Full Version : is it the road? other vehicles? bimmerhaters?

car_for_mom
09-21-2003, 03:09 PM
Doing Karl Bimmer's weekly wash (7 days is my maximum tolerance for brake dust :eeps: ), I've had to develop the simultaneous ability to scrupulously wash and dry all parts of him while ignoring the three (3) indentations on the hood, the (looks like key marks?) around the passenger door handle, the micro nicks and dents on the lower door panels.

Aaaaauuugh! I've only had him 9 months and 23,120 miles (a friend was shocked that I have that many miles - hey, it's the Ultimate Driving Machine, is it not? :p

Fellow Bimmerphiles - is it the road (the Southern Californians chorus, "of course!"), or other vehicles (those tandem gravel haulers and skip loaders are murder - I've learned to avoid them like the plague, for they toss up many a micro pebble). How much is due to to Bimmerhaters? (I do think I may have a key mark or two?)

Nothing I've mentioned is all that apparent on first glance, but when you look up close - the depradations are apparent.

:cry:

tgravo2
09-21-2003, 03:27 PM
I'm not sure whcich one it is. Could be any of the 3, but I do know there are some people who are just jerks. I was downtown during the week, and I get back to my car and there is a beer bottle on my trunk :mad: Assholes!

Technic
09-21-2003, 04:26 PM
Doing Karl Bimmer's weekly wash (7 days is my maximum tolerance for brake dust :eeps: ), I've had to develop the simultaneous ability to scrupulously wash and dry all parts of him while ignoring the three (3) indentations on the hood, the (looks like key marks?) around the passenger door handle, the micro nicks and dents on the lower door panels.

Aaaaauuugh! I've only had him 9 months and 23,120 miles (a friend was shocked that I have that many miles - hey, it's the Ultimate Driving Machine, is it not? :p

Fellow Bimmerphiles - is it the road (the Southern Californians chorus, "of course!"), or other vehicles (those tandem gravel haulers and skip loaders are murder - I've learned to avoid them like the plague, for they toss up many a micro pebble). How much is due to to Bimmerhaters? (I do think I may have a key mark or two?)

Nothing I've mentioned is all that apparent on first glance, but when you look up close - the depradations are apparent.

:cry:

This is why it takes more than a semester of a psycology class to even understand why people do the things they do, specially with other people's cars. I do think that they are not Bimmerhaters, they are just haters. They hit whatever symbolizes their own failure or inadequacy in their own lives.

Take the door dings... why somebody have to slam one door against somebody else car? What is the purpose of keying a car, a protest against a sorry life, your sorry life? Why is it that when you clean your car always, almost to a fault, at least one person will criticise you saying that your car is too clean, that you spend too much time washing it, and make it sound like it is a personal defect? This last thing happens a lot if your car's interior is nicely clean, it seems that that is an 'unacceptable' behavior when you are supposed to have candy wrappers and junk lying all around the way they like their cars to look...

IMHO, these haters simply have a way of projecting their insecurities and stupidities to anybody that they think have "life all figure it out", just because other people drive a nice, clean car.

Spectre
09-21-2003, 06:49 PM
It may be that BMWs bring out more haters, but it isn't just BMWs. For no apparent reason, someone keyed the trunk of my current car (an inherited Chevy Lumina of quite some age). Anyone who feels so inadequate that a Lumina is his target will only feel more enraged by a BMW, but then what would you drive to avoid this sort of attention? :tsk:

The Roadstergal
09-21-2003, 07:46 PM
It may be that BMWs bring out more haters, but it isn't just BMWs.

Yep.

And :thumbdwn: to them.

Terry Kennedy
09-21-2003, 08:16 PM
but then what would you drive to avoid this sort of attention? :tsk:A Yugo? Or are they considered "collectable" now? :dunno:

ctbmw
09-21-2003, 10:09 PM
Nicely written! (HIM?!!)-Mel

rwg
09-22-2003, 12:30 PM
Welcome to the world of caring about the appearance of your car. My ex-wife once taught me to step back 20 feet whenever I was detailing (every week at least when there wasn't snow) and look at the whole instead of obsessing about the imperfections that no-one else can see. Try it. It helps.

I suspect that this car doesn't have any more or less dings, nicks, scratches or orther imperfections than your previous cars. It's just that now you know they are there. And you care about the fact that they are there.

Have a dent repair guy fix the dents. They usually do a great job and you will sleep better.

car_for_mom
09-22-2003, 02:42 PM
Welcome to the world of caring about the appearance of your car. My ex-wife once taught me to step back 20 feet whenever I was detailing (every week at least when there wasn't snow) and look at the whole instead of obsessing about the imperfections that no-one else can see. Try it. It helps.

I suspect that this car doesn't have any more or less dings, nicks, scratches or orther imperfections than your previous cars. It's just that now you know they are there. And you care about the fact that they are there.

Have a dent repair guy fix the dents. They usually do a great job and you will sleep better.

Sage advice, rwg!

My 1996-Camry-That-Was-My-Daily-Driver-Until-The-BMW-And-Is-Going-To-My-Oldest-Son-Because-He-Ain't-Driving-My-BMW :angel: could be given to students in automotive training - ah, they would learn much about removing dents, dings, scratches and various markings - the surface looks like it spent a week in Baghdad :rolleyes:

I'm having it painted and the major dings taken out, because, after all, this is Southern California; my offspring is incredulous that his mother did not get him (a) ///M3 (b) RX-7 (c) Lamborghini for his first car!

I reminded him that he lives in the Land Of Bovine Living (Chino Hills) and not The People's Republic Of Irvine - as it is, the insurance for this Teenage Male Driver is going to be about $3,500 :yikes:

You can best believe that my son will be finding out what a W2 is...

car_for_mom
09-22-2003, 02:47 PM
Nicely written! (HIM?!!)-Mel

I am a girl.

My car is a boy - consider the suave, sensual, masculine exhaust note, the vigorous acceleration, etc, etc!

BTW: Darien? Hartford? New Canaan? Stafford Springs? Litchfield? Cos Cob? Wethersfield? Norwalk?

I lived in The Land Of Steady Habits for six years, in Hartford, Rockville (Vernon), East Windsor and New Canaan. Ah, I remember the shade tobacco sheds, the ice on the trees in winter, the deadly I-91/I-84 interchange in downtown Hartford!