ChrisTO
09-21-2003, 09:02 PM
September 21, 2003 18:06

IBM and BMW Group Team to Capitalize on Shift towards Software and
Electronics-Based Vehicle Innovation

ARMONK, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 21, 2003--

Bold Competitive Move Spotlights New Industry Era in Global Vehicle
Design, Production, Performance and Service

IBM and BMW Group have joined forces to concentrate their combined expertise on the worldwide automotive industry's
shift from mechanical to primarily software and electronics-based vehicle innovation.

Industry analysts expect the trend to transform the automotive industry during the present decade. They estimate that
electronics and software will account for approximately 90% of all future automobile innovation. They also expect the
software and electronics share of a vehicle's production cost to reach 40% by the year 2010.

BMW Group's selection makes the automaker IBM's lead customer in a newly defined business initiative called the
Automotive Software Foundry (ASF). IBM's ASF solutions for automotive manufacturers and suppliers provide an
integrated set of processes, tools and services that enable the evolution from mechanical to more sophisticated software
and electronic content in new vehicles. The solution's components cover the entire software lifecycles of autos, including
software design, development, testing, integration with automotive production, management and maintenance. Terms of
IBM's agreement with BMW Group, which in the first stage include software and consultative services, were not
disclosed.

"Our goals with ASF are to help BMW Group keep and strengthen its technology leadership in the field of automotive
electronic and software development, speed time-to-market, and help BMW Group drive innovation by improved
management of the increasingly complex software and electronic content in cars," said Janette Beauchamp, general
manager of IBM's Global Automotive Industry. "In terms of retaining and developing core competencies for a razor-sharp
competitive edge, BMW Group and IBM are joining forces to take on a challenge of top strategic importance to the future
of the automotive industry worldwide."

Under the agreement with IBM, BMW Group will gain new capabilities to define and control how embedded software and
electronic content is used to design, develop, manufacture, and service future vehicle generations.

As a world leader in the design, engineering and production of precision luxury automobiles, BMW Group will work with
IBM to:

-- Sharpen its competitive edge through increased core competency
in and a set of best practices around the development,
integration and marketing of software and electronic content
to be used in automobiles of the future.

-- Establish open-standards-based software-development system
that will serve as the foundation for the integration of
existing and future software tools and processes that can be
shared between BMW Group, its suppliers and its service arms.
Traceability throughout the entire lifecycle of the vehicle is
a key feature of the ASF solution.

-- Achieve faster and more predictable time-to-market.

-- Increase competitive differentiation through innovation as new
models with higher performance capabilities emerge.

-- Strengthen customer loyalty.

"By partnering with IBM, we will adopt and implement open-standards based embedded software tools, systems and
processes across our extended enterprise that will define a new generation of products and expand business
opportunities for our company, "said Mr. Hans-Georg Frischkorn, Senior Vice President for Car Electronics at BMW
Group."

IBM was selected by BMW Group as a partner and architect to implement high quality software development processes
and infrastructure based on IBM's leadership in software and systems development as well as its ability to provide the
integrated processes, tools and training to help BMW Group expand its business through software innovations. IBM's
technology and thought leadership in the area of automotive telematics solutions and in-vehicle architecture also qualifies
it as BMW Group's partner of choice.

Gina Jesberg, 203-445-1545

car_for_mom
09-22-2003, 12:44 AM
...making software-related comments.

So, the Blue-And-White Roundel is teaming with Big Blue.

And, Dr. Pancke just joined the Evil Empire of Redmond's Board of Directors.

BMW also has a yacht racing venture with Larry-How-Can-I-Become-Richer-Than-Bill-Gates-If-I-Spend-All-My-Money-Buying-PeopleSoft Ellison's Oracle (the Oracle DBA pauses to bow) :p

And now the burning questions - Will I-Drive now be based upon (a) MVS (b) VM (c) AIX? Will the engineering design databases be created with (a) SQLServer (b) DB2 (c) Oracle?

Hey, Dr. Pancke - forget all the fancy stuff, get your engineers some decent UNIX workstations and Unigraphics (or CATIA), and get back to design and engineering basics!

ALEX325i
09-22-2003, 01:07 AM
Nah... Forget the Unix-based stuff... Replace WinCE by XPe and they're all set... ;)

BTW, what's so evil about Redmond?!? :confused:

ALEX325i
09-22-2003, 01:09 AM
September 21, 2003 18:06

IBM and BMW Group Team to Capitalize on Shift towards Software and
Electronics-Based Vehicle Innovation

Great... BMW will probably start selling Bimmers "on demand" from now on... :rolleyes: :rofl:

OBS3SSION
09-22-2003, 06:04 AM
Great... now I'll have to boot up my car instead of starting it... and wait for all those daemons to load.

car_for_mom
09-22-2003, 09:27 AM
Nah... Forget the Unix-based stuff... Replace WinCE by XPe and they're all set... ;)

BTW, what's so evil about Redmond?!? :confused:

[Pauses to don turnout gear, breathing apparatus and other fire-protectant gear :p ]

Microsoft is an extremely talented company that provides products that billions of people around the world use. The vast majority of people do not care how their computers work - they just want them to work.

However, there is a significant amount of applications and situations in which the 'Microsoft Way' is less than optimal:

I have XP Professional on my laptop and one other machine. I have to:

- Constantly reboot because Lotus Notes or some other software
"locks up" or abends
- Try to get Word, Excel, Project to do what I want it to do
- Reboot after applying the latest patches (lots o' patches, lately
due to security alerts)

Now, I fully admit to being a UNIX Luddite, but I recently installed Oracle 9i Release 3 on a Windows 2000 machine. I tried using the various GUI's (Oracle Enterprise Manager, Windows Control Panel etc) - and I was extremely frustrated. GUI's are great - until you have to do repetitive operations (adding 100 users, creating 1,000 tables and indexes, etc, etc).

I insisted that UNIX Services for Windows (license $57.00) be installed - and I was instantly more productive. One of the Intel Admins challenged me to show him that I could do things faster in the Oracle databse using the command prompt and SQL*Plus scripts - he was blown away by how fast I could do various tasks.

Yes, I do use GUI's - but I find that Oracle DBA's and SysAdmins who only know how to do things with GUI's and not scripts (Perl, shell scripts, SQL*Plus, etc) are at a real disadvantage.

And, a True Confession: There is something satisfying about being able to whip up incantations such as:

ps -ef | grep "LOCAL=NO" | awk '{ print $2 }' | xargs kill -9

(this will kill all SQL*Net processes running on the server)

Spectre
09-22-2003, 12:38 PM
Get some, car_for_mom! :thumbup:

operknockity
09-22-2003, 01:52 PM
[Pauses to don turnout gear, breathing apparatus and other fire-protectant gear :p ]

Now who's doing the MonkeySplat bashing :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Car_for_mom is a UNIX(tm) nerd :typing: :beerchug: :banana: :clap:

dlloyd1975
09-22-2003, 01:56 PM

"I know this, this is UNIX!"

hockeynut
09-22-2003, 02:10 PM
Great... now I'll have to boot up my car instead of starting it... and wait for all those daemons to load.

Reboot? You mean re-IPL (now we'll see how many old-timers are here!)

ALEX325i
09-22-2003, 03:54 PM

Microsoft is an extremely talented company that provides products that billions of people around the world use. The vast majority of people do not care how their computers work - they just want them to work.

However, there is a significant amount of applications and situations in which the 'Microsoft Way' is less than optimal:

I have XP Professional on my laptop and one other machine. I have to:

- Constantly reboot because Lotus Notes or some other software
"locks up" or abends

Why am I not surprised? :rolleyes: What did the "blue suits" say? It's the OS's fault?!? Sorry, but if that's the case, I'd just take the chance to get rid of Notes... :D

- Try to get Word, Excel, Project to do what I want it to do

Have never had any problems here... :confused:

- Reboot after applying the latest patches (lots o' patches, lately
due to security alerts)

Have you tried running, uh, Linux? 4 - 5 security-related patches a week!!! :yikes: I'm not kidding. Sometimes I get 2 emails from RHN a day! Yes, security-related patches do require a reboot.

Now, I fully admit to being a UNIX Luddite, but I recently installed Oracle 9i Release 3 on a Windows 2000 machine. I tried using the various GUI's (Oracle Enterprise Manager, Windows Control Panel etc) - and I was extremely frustrated. GUI's are great - until you have to do repetitive operations (adding 100 users, creating 1,000 tables and indexes, etc, etc).

Again, where's the OS at fault here?!? I'd think the GUI designers sucked... I L-O-V-E Unix too!

I insisted that UNIX Services for Windows (license $57.00) be installed - and I was instantly more productive. One of the Intel Admins challenged me to show him that I could do things faster in the Oracle databse using the command prompt and SQL*Plus scripts - he was blown away by how fast I could do various tasks.

Don't see why the same couldn't be done on Windows... Plus, everything you do in batch will always be faster than "online" via GUI... What's faster: type in commands or use, uh, Smit, for instance? ;)

Yes, I do use GUI's - but I find that Oracle DBA's and SysAdmins who only know how to do things with GUI's and not scripts (Perl, shell scripts, SQL*Plus, etc) are at a real disadvantage.

I'd think so too... I always have a command prompt windows open too.

And, a True Confession: There is something satisfying about being able to whip up incantations such as:

Maybe it's me, but I used to find that fun... That's not the case anymore... In any event, do you know the findstr command in Windows? Yup, that's your grep... ;) Oh, redirection works on Windows too... :D

Plus, don't you have an easier way to stop DB processes? Maybe you should give SQL a shot... :D

car_for_mom
09-22-2003, 04:11 PM
Plus, don't you have an easier way to stop the DB's processes? Maybe you should give SQL a shot... ;)

Oh, yep - can use Enterprise Manager or sqlplus "/ as sysdba", then shutdown immediate.

However, at least in a Citrix environment, where the users stay logged in until the cows come home (and no, I'm not allowed to institute resource limits) - I will be the first to tell you that Oracle 8i's Dead Connection Detection doesn't work - there are zombie processes, and I like to clean them up from time to time, so the process count is kept low...

I have taken 2072: Administering a SQLServer 2000 Database, and am registerered from 2073: Programming a SQLServer 2000 Database.

Hey, if my CIO walks in tomorrow and says, "We're converting to DB2/Informix/Sybase/Whatever" - I'll learn DB2/Informix/Sybase/Whatever - I started out in IT as a MVS CICS/DL1 programmer, an IMS/DB2 DBA, UNIX SysAdmin and Oracle DBA.

I prefer Linux/UNIX, doubtless for reasons related to why I prefer manual transmissions....

ALEX325i
09-22-2003, 04:52 PM
I prefer Linux/UNIX, doubtless for reasons related to why I prefer manual transmissions....

It's all good then. I just wanted to point out that command line syntax can be as powerful and get as complicated as you may want in Windows too. ;) :thumbup:

Since I started running Win2K (i.e. August '99 - before the RTM code was out), I stopped being partial to Unix. I found out I could do the same on Windows for less than half the price...

These days, it's not like I have a choice... :angel:

lsedels
09-22-2003, 06:16 PM
Word is that the new console will give you the choice of whether you want to turn your A/C on via GUI or command line. And it will even flash a warning when you're about to go into another car or telephone pole.

:)