PDA

View Full Version : Touring Tailgate window.

BrothaMansWhip2
11-15-2009, 09:16 PM
This may seem like a silly question but... can you open just the window on the tailgate instead of opening the whole tailgate? There is movement when I attempt to open it but... no luck.. Any one know???

Tourburgring
11-15-2009, 10:33 PM
Yes indeed. That is one of the great features of the Touring. There are two releases above the license plate, one for the Tailgate and one further to one side for the window.

hansenbeam
11-16-2009, 12:44 AM
Is that for the E39 as well - I have always wondered

BrothaMansWhip2
11-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Mannnnn... Thanks a helluva lot! Now I can finish scraping off the tint glue from PO. Also found a brown wire that had been cut..On the driver side. I think I know why the defrost wasn't working. Theres a DIY where the person actually has people prying back the window to get to the lock...BTW, are there supposed to be shocks to hold the window up?

Tourburgring
11-16-2009, 06:37 PM
Yes the E39 Touring has the same feature

The window does have its own lift mechanisim although I think it is a torsion bar not shocks. One bad spot on E34 Tourings is the wiring to the Tailgate/Hatch. It often gets chaffed through or stretched to the point of wire-breaks at the hinge point causing any number of electrical maladies.
Included in those are:

No Defrost
No Rear Wiper Operation
No electrical release of Tailgate
No Release for Rear Window
No or Intermittant Licence Plate Lamps

Or any combination of the above!

Careful with that Glue Scraping, you might remove the Defrost grid as well :yikes:

BrothaMansWhip2
11-16-2009, 09:28 PM
Yes the E39 Touring has the same feature

The window does have its own lift mechanisim although I think it is a torsion bar not shocks. One bad spot on E34 Tourings is the wiring to the Tailgate/Hatch. It often gets chaffed through or stretched to the point of wire-breaks at the hinge point causing any number of electrical maladies.
Included in those are:

No Defrost
No Rear Wiper Operation
No electrical release of Tailgate
No Release for Rear Window
No or Intermittant Licence Plate Lamps

Or any combination of the above!

Careful with that Glue Scraping, you might remove the Defrost grid as well :yikes:
So far all I've noticed is that the defrost doesn't work. I see a brown wire completely cut but I don't see the other end that it would've been connected to. I saw a wiring diagram but I've got to remember what site I came across it at

attack eagle
12-06-2009, 05:59 AM
www.bmwe34.net

and I referenced it a lot on bimmerforums.com

BrothaMansWhip2
12-06-2009, 09:05 AM
Thank you AE. I did get it fixed. Now Of course I am moving on the some more upgrades/repairs..

attack eagle
12-29-2009, 01:57 AM
no problem. I was forced to become expert on the darn thing since mine would:
pop the glass when I turned the lights on,
lock the doors when I closed the hatch
pop the glass open when closing the latch with the lights already on... etc.