PDA

View Full Version : Clear bra

graeboy
11-16-2009, 04:49 PM
I am thinking of getting the from bumper of my 2010 750 li xdrive, MSport clear bra'd for the lack of a better term. It looks like the front of the new 7 will be a magnet for chips. Anyone have any experience with this. I would love a recommendation in the NYC area. Even a shop in New Jersey will do. Thank you:)

sanhonda22
11-16-2009, 04:55 PM
Make sure its 3M film. Also, do some background checking on the installer and go to one that has alot of experience with higher end cars.

BMR2009
11-16-2009, 05:14 PM
Yeah, there are so many "installers" it'll twist your noodle. AVOID pre-cut kits as they leave too much exposed, and rarely are they ever centered properly. Secondly, don't bother with the thin stuff, it's almost worthless.

I have some from a local installer that I was going to have installed until I found out it was a kit, which usually means it's also thin, and it is. This "kit" was literally three times as thick as copy paper. Can you imagine the protection you'd get from that?! What a joke. Yeah, that'll save me from a couple of butterflies, maybe.

Also, don't be suckered into paying $1,500 for the bumper area--total rip-off. Oh, but he's an artist. Ookaaay. Trust me, shop around.

I'll get mine done here shortly and post pics. Oh, by the way, I put a 4x4inch piece of the "kit" material on the counter where my wife puts stuff. She hasn't even notied it's there it's so damn thin.

briansbimmer
11-18-2009, 03:58 AM
I had a clear bra on my 545i that I put close to 90K miles on. Hated it. My BMW dealer used to put it on everything but they stopped a few years back. My 545i was dark blue and as time went on it was very hard to keep it detailed and looking good. Detailer hated it too especially the area where the film stopped on the hood. People kept asking if I had a scratch. Rest of the car shining from quality wax...except area covered by film. I took it off and was glad I did. Matter of personal preference.