PDA

View Full Version : Amazing lack of brake dust!

esk
11-17-2009, 05:08 PM
I have owned many German cars and currently own a Porsche TT Cab and an Audi Q5. I'm amazed at how clean the wheels on my 750 stay. 50 miles of driving in the other cars and the wheels are turning grey. The attached picture of the front wheel is after more than 600 miles of driving.

By the way, for any other "cold weather" drivers, I swapped my 20" performance Goodyear run flats for all-season Michelin sports. The ride seems to be better too.

graeboy
11-17-2009, 05:17 PM
interesting tire change. I have the goodyear tires on the M Sport wheels and have been wondering what to do with the NYC winter coming. I have the xdrive and was wondering if I could get by with the goodyears on the car. Or I was thinking of getting a new set of tires and rims for snow. The problem is sometimes it barley snows in new york sometimes its major. I also thought we are supposed to keep runflats on the car. The goodyears seem to bubble easily I hit a small pothole and got a bubble in the front and rear. On my 08 7 series I went 2 years without an issue. Im not sure what tires were on those but I did have the 20" wheels. As far as break dust I haven't taken notice I did pot a coat of rejects wax on them.

BMR2009
11-17-2009, 05:26 PM
Those wheels are silver and will show dirt so easily. You best take them off and send them to me, and I'll send you my 19's.

I have heard the ride improves when you move into non-runflats. I bet it becomes a softer ride as the sidewalls of runflats are very, very thick making the tires stiff. Just my thoughts. I would like your opinion. Oh, there's no spare anywhere so don't get a flat.

esk
11-17-2009, 05:38 PM
interesting tire change. I have the goodyear tires on the M Sport wheels and have been wondering what to do with the NYC winter coming. I have the xdrive and was wondering if I could get by with the goodyears on the car. Or I was thinking of getting a new set of tires and rims for snow. The problem is sometimes it barley snows in new york sometimes its major. I also thought we are supposed to keep runflats on the car. The goodyears seem to bubble easily I hit a small pothole and got a bubble in the front and rear. On my 08 7 series I went 2 years without an issue. Im not sure what tires were on those but I did have the 20" wheels. As far as break dust I haven't taken notice I did pot a coat of rejects wax on them.

I have XDrive too but there is NO WAY I would consider driving on the performance run flats with even a dusting of snow. I got caught one time in my Cayenne with similar tires (non run flats) and it was like trying to stop a sled.

The positive is I now have an all season package I don't have to swap seasonanlly. The bad news is the car has no spare tire. Hopefully, if I do get a leak, TPMS we warn me and I can get it to a shop and get it repaired. I'm also going to purchase a ca of tire repair.

esk
11-17-2009, 05:46 PM
Those wheels are silver and will show dirt so easily. You best take them off and send them to me, and I'll send you my 19's.

I have heard the ride improves when you move into non-runflats. I bet it becomes a softer ride as the sidewalls of runflats are very, very thick making the tires stiff. Just my thoughts. I would like your opinion. Oh, there's no spare anywhere so don't get a flat.

Sounds like a fair swap! I actually liked the 19s, especially the grey finish. Then BMW came out with the M Sport! :D

The spare tire thing could be an issue. I figure if I do get a leak, hopefully TPMS will warn me and I can make it to a shop for a temporary or permanent repair. I think the whole run flat thing is a fallacy. Its my understaning that if you do get a flat tire, the side wall is shot and the whole tire needs replacement. How many miles will you actually get with run flats?

p.s. - I have a nearly new set of tires if you want to buy them! :D

BMR2009
11-17-2009, 05:58 PM
Lol.

You know, I have no idea about the mileage on runflats. I have heard they wear quickly, but I attribute it to the four wheel steering. If I burn through them too quickly, they'll be gone for good.

graeboy
11-17-2009, 07:12 PM
for some reason on tire racks website when I plug in a 2010 750 li with 20 inch wheels it doesn't list the pilot sport A/S as a tire option. When I look at sizes available they are available in the correct sizes but i wonder why they aren't listed. Maybe it the rim width?

esk
11-18-2009, 05:41 PM
for some reason on tire racks website when I plug in a 2010 750 li with 20 inch wheels it doesn't list the pilot sport A/S as a tire option. When I look at sizes available they are available in the correct sizes but i wonder why they aren't listed. Maybe it the rim width?

I bought my tires from Town Fair Tire The problem with buying from Tire Rack is you need to find an installer that will mount tires from another supplier. Also, TFT matched their internet price. If I remember correctly, the rear tire size - 275-35-20 - is a fairly common size. However, the fronts - 245-40-20 is unique size to BMW.

csmeance
11-18-2009, 08:40 PM

Just my 2 cents, the Pilot Sport A/S Plus are pieces of garbage for a car like the 750 with all that torque and HP. My E66 760 hates these tires, turn in is mushy, I lost MPG, they are wearing horribly and don't stick to the road what-so-ever. In the rain I can't push it past 2.5K revs otherwise I'll end up sideways, literally!