PDA

View Full Version : Calling all SoCal members Re: need help driving the Komen cars to dealers

scottn2retro
09-22-2003, 03:52 PM
Hi All -

Have this message to forward from the prez of the LA BMW CCA. He has been asked by BMW NA to find drivers to help move the cars from some dealers to others in SoCal:

"I just got a call from BMW. They need 19 drivers to transfer cars from New Century BMW in Alhambra, to McKenna BMW in Norwalk, on the 20th of October. Then again the next day, the 21st, from McKenna BMW to Santa Monica BMW.

It involves being at New Century BMW on the 21st around 5.30 PM. There will be a dinner and soft drinks served and candy bars and soda on the shuttle bus that will take us back from McKenna BMW to our cars.
Then, the whole thing repeats itself the following day.

If you are able to make it, please let me know ASAP - so that I can get back to BMW with some good news. They would like some kind of tally by the end of this week. We will assign cars on a first come first pick basis. If you have a preference for a certain model, let me know when you reply. We will try to accomodate your wishes. All current models are in the fleet. Also indicate your preference for automatic or manual transmission.
Thanks for your help.............
Leif
leif@avusautosport.com
"

Kaz
09-22-2003, 04:04 PM
5:30 is a little tight but I think I could make this work. :)

doeboy
09-22-2003, 04:17 PM
5:30 is a little tight but I think I could make this work. :)

Me too... I might have to "arrange" some kind of "appointment" :eeps: :p hahahaha :rofl:

bbkat
09-22-2003, 04:34 PM
I can probably stand leaving the office a little early. LA traffic would be bearable in a new bimmer :thumbup:

You have email!

scottn2retro
09-22-2003, 05:18 PM
If you have a preference for a certain model, let me know when you reply. We will try to accomodate your wishes. All current models are in the fleet. Also indicate your preference for automatic or manual transmission.

Does anybody know the cars that make up the fleet? I'll see if Leif can get me a list. Any Z8's? :D

SARAFIL
09-22-2003, 06:59 PM
Does anybody know the cars that make up the fleet? I'll see if Leif can get me a list. Any Z8's? :D

:angel:

325s (all variants), 330s, Z4s, 5er sedans and wagons (E39), X5s, 745Li/760Li. No Ms or Z8s.

3ers and Z4s are auto and manual, all others are auto-only.

Nick325xiT 5spd
09-22-2003, 07:33 PM
Drive the E65s. That's fun. If you can get there early enough to test drive a Z4, do it, but I wouldn't want to go on a long drive in a rag top.

GregE_325
09-23-2003, 06:08 AM
Helping shuttle the cars to their next destination is a blast. Our BMW CCA chapter did it when the cars were here, and I got to drive a 745Li on a 200 mile trip. It was great fun, and good to know that a worthwhile charity was being helped out.

Have fun!
:thumbup:

-- Greg

car_for_mom
09-23-2003, 09:57 AM
Cool - count me in; I sent an email to the address mentioned in the first posting.

When I tried to sign up at bmwusa.com for the Drive For The Cure at Crevier, I couldn't do it - I kept getting conflicting messages - "this event is not yet available", "this event is full".

Then, I got an e-mail from BMW inviting me to the event at Savage BMW in Ontario (probably based on my zip code), so I signed up there (closer to The Land Of Bovine Living, anyway!)

scottn2retro
09-23-2003, 03:09 PM
:angel:

325s (all variants), 330s, Z4s, 5er sedans and wagons (E39), X5s, 745Li/760Li. No Ms or Z8s.

3ers and Z4s are auto and manual, all others are auto-only.

Thanks for posting the cars. :thumbup:

scottn2retro
09-29-2003, 04:10 PM
As far as the cars go, I got this from Leif:

"Scott, I was told that all cars currently in the BMW line up, with the exception of maybe the 760iL will be available. Some in both automatic and manual. I am assigning the cars as requests come in."

doeboy
09-29-2003, 04:19 PM
I emailed Leif regarding this, but have not heard anything back as to whether or not we are confirmed to help out or whether our trip out to the dealers will be a wasted trip. Anyone who signed up hear back regarding this? :dunno:

The Roadstergal
09-29-2003, 04:40 PM
I wouldn't want to go on a long drive in a rag top.

:neener:

(I did sign up for the Z4 3.0 6-speed.)

LeucX3
09-29-2003, 04:46 PM
I would love to be able to do this. Sometimes working just doesn't pay off. Hehe...

bbkat
09-29-2003, 06:03 PM
I emailed Leif regarding this, but have not heard anything back as to whether or not we are confirmed to help out or whether our trip out to the dealers will be a wasted trip. Anyone who signed up hear back regarding this? :dunno:

I haven't heard anything back yet. I'd like to drive a 5....it's not the E60 right :lmao:

Mdk330i
09-29-2003, 08:25 PM
I haven't heard anything back yet. I'd like to drive a 5....it's not the E60 right :lmao:

I was wondering about this too. I haven't received any confirmation yet.
Any idea when this will happen?

scottn2retro
10-01-2003, 08:29 AM
Hi All -

Got this from Leif:

"Hi Scott:
I am acting like a facilitator. I pass on the data to the Komen Foundation, Julie, she will contact everyone directly and get confirmation. She will probably send something out at the end of this week.
I now have around 25 names/volunteers, we needed 19 - I am very pleased and happy that the members are stepping up to this worthwhile cause.
Kind Regards, and thanks for your help,
Leif"

So hopefully Julie from the Komen Foundation will be contacting you guys :thumbup:

chonch
10-01-2003, 08:48 AM
You've got mail.......and if you need anymore help....I am here!
Thanks

Hi All -

Got this from Leif:

"Hi Scott:
I am acting like a facilitator. I pass on the data to the Komen Foundation, Julie, she will contact everyone directly and get confirmation. She will probably send something out at the end of this week.
I now have around 25 names/volunteers, we needed 19 - I am very pleased and happy that the members are stepping up to this worthwhile cause.
Leif"

So hopefully Julie from the Komen Foundation will be contacting you guys :thumbup:

doeboy
10-01-2003, 01:13 PM
Hi All -

Got this from Leif:

"Hi Scott:
Leif"

Ah... good to know. Thanks for passing the word on Scott! :thumbup:

FlyingDutchMan
10-03-2003, 08:12 PM
I don't get it, is BMW so strapped for cash they can't afford a transporter. Why would you want to sit in traffic and be BMW's house boy doing their labor. BMW works for me, not the other way around.

SARAFIL
10-03-2003, 08:44 PM
I don't get it, is BMW so strapped for cash they can't afford a transporter. Why would you want to sit in traffic and be BMW's house boy doing their labor. BMW works for me, not the other way around.

:tsk:

It's part of the event. You go to the event to drive the cars, enjoy some nice BMWs free of charge, and help out a worthwhile cause at the same time. At the end of the day, they need to get the cars shuttled to another location. It's another way to get some real behind-the-wheel time in a nice BMW, for a much longer trip than you'd have participating in the event during the day. Also, BMW donates a dollar for each mile on the odometer at the end of the event, so each mile driven in transportation from dealer to dealer is also a donation to the cause. If you don't enjoy or understand the event, that doesn't mean that there aren't people out there that do. It's for a good cause, and BMWs decision to drive the cars from store to store versus trucking them saves BMW some expenses, and allows them to donate more to charity. Plus, it lets people drive some nice cars for extended distances. Overall, it gets a big :thumbup: from me.

Edit: And by the way, they donate over $1 million each year through the Drive itself, not counting other expenses associated with the event. I'm sure they aren't strapped for cash.

Mdk330i
10-03-2003, 11:26 PM
:tsk:

It's part of the event. You go to the event to drive the cars, enjoy some nice BMWs free of charge, and help out a worthwhile cause at the same time. At the end of the day, they need to get the cars shuttled to another location. It's another way to get some real behind-the-wheel time in a nice BMW, for a much longer trip than you'd have participating in the event during the day. Also, BMW donates a dollar for each mile on the odometer at the end of the event, so each mile driven in transportation from dealer to dealer is also a donation to the cause. If you don't enjoy or understand the event, that doesn't mean that there aren't people out there that do. It's for a good cause, and BMWs decision to drive the cars from store to store versus trucking them saves BMW some expenses, and allows them to donate more to charity. Plus, it lets people drive some nice cars for extended distances. Overall, it gets a big :thumbup: from me.

Edit: And by the way, they donate over $1 million each year through the Drive itself, not counting other expenses associated with the event. I'm sure they aren't strapped for cash.

Well said. :thumbup:

I volunteered to drive because I thought it would be an excellent opportunity to get to drive a BMW. I didn't realize that the transporting mileage would also contribute to the Susan G. Komen fund. Now I really want to help out.

sky
10-09-2003, 12:31 PM
Hi All -

Got this from Leif:

"Hi Scott:
Leif"

Has Julie contacted any of the volunteers yet?:dunno: I volunteered but haven't
been called....Just curious, since this post was put up a while ago.

doeboy
10-09-2003, 01:09 PM
Has Julie contacted any of the volunteers yet?:dunno: I volunteered but haven't
been called....Just curious, since this post was put up a while ago.

I haven't heard anything either yet... (if at all) :dunno:
a bunch of us are starting to wonder the same thing....

operknockity
10-09-2003, 01:57 PM
I haven't heard anything either yet... (if at all) :dunno:
a bunch of us are starting to wonder the same thing....
At the meeting last night, Leif announced that there were 25 people signed up for the 19 slots. I don't know if that means that those who have not been notified are those for whom there was not slot.

But it was mentioned that many (if not all) of the folks who signed up have yet to hear anything as yet.

bbkat
10-09-2003, 06:57 PM
No news here :dunno:

bbkat
10-17-2003, 04:28 PM
No news here :dunno:

anyone?

.........anyone?

.......................Bueller?

doeboy
10-17-2003, 04:46 PM
anyone?

.........anyone?

.......................Bueller?

(Crickets chirping...)

:(

operknockity
10-17-2003, 05:34 PM
I just fired off an e-mail to Leif to see if he can find out what's happinging. Will report back if anything shakes loose.

scottn2retro
10-21-2003, 08:38 AM
I just fired off an e-mail to Leif to see if he can find out what's happinging. Will report back if anything shakes loose.

Just got an e-mail from Leif. The people at the Komen foundation messed up and did not send out confirmations :tsk: (so they only had 6 people show up).

I'm asking if there is a phone number people can call to see about tonight (Tues.). I guess tonight, it would be at McKenna at about 5:30.

doeboy
10-21-2003, 09:14 AM
Just got an e-mail from Leif. The people at the Komen foundation messed up and did not send out confirmations :tsk: (so they only had 6 people show up).

I'm asking if there is a phone number people can call to see about tonight (Tues.). I guess tonight, it would be at McKenna at about 5:30.

Ack! :tsk: I can't leave early enough to get to McKenna on such short notice... especially with the whole MTA thing going on... traffic has been noticably messed up as of late... :banghead:

scottn2retro
10-21-2003, 09:35 AM
As of a few minutes ago, Leif said they still needed about a dozen people. The plan would be to get to McKenna at around 5:30 and leave McKenna around 6:30.

e-mail Leif if you can make it to tonight's convoy:

leif@avusautosport.com