PDA

View Full Version : 530 iAuto Wipers high speed only?

RagamuffinBrian
11-18-2009, 09:41 AM
BMW 530 I Auto 1993. (A grand Old Lady!)
Screen wipers will only operate on fast setting, or push wash/wipe: no pause wipe or standard speed wipe?
Have replaced stalk switch on column, and wiper motor: still problem remains.
Is there a relay or electrical module setting which controls the other two wipe speed settings?

Any information or advise would be much appreciated.

Ragamuffin Brian http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/images/smilies/cursin.gif

jimoreno
11-19-2009, 11:45 AM
If your car is anything close to mine (I've got a USA 95 530i) there is a relay under the rear seat, K11 which is the wiper relay. Looking at the ETM for my car, is also shows that the Relay Module (A5) and General Module (A1) are part of the circuit so it could get complicated. Since you have already changed the switch and motor, I would start with the K11 relay.

RagamuffinBrian
11-19-2009, 01:34 PM
Hi Jimmy

Thank you very much for the response to my original enquiry!

I have managed to download the ZKE wiper control circuitry for the 93 model, and also have located K11 (The Wiper relay), which I intend replacing at the weekend. If that still leaves the same problem, then I have managed to obtain a ZKE CPU module from a mates 'crash job', and as long as the battery is disconnected, it should program for any 530I (You don't have to program them apparently for each individual vehicle)

At the moment replacement of the K11 is favourite.

I shall try out and see what results we get!

Again, thanks for your guidance: V. much appreciated.

Take care now and thanks.

Ragamuffin Brian

RagamuffinBrian
11-27-2009, 09:49 AM
Posted: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 16:45:55 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK everyone

Just to complete the thread for any future reference.

Initially we replaced the wiper stalk switch upon the column - no change.
Then, because the wiper rack was well worn we replaced the rack and motor - again no change.
Found a scrap yard wrecker: same year same model and removed K11 relay Relay Module, and General module from under rear seat. (Total cost for all parts: 30.00!) The K11 relay is the second relay to the left of the two modules as you look to the rear of the car.

Exchanged the K11 relay with the existing relay in my car - no change
Exchanged Relay Module with that in my car - no change
Exchanged General Module with that in my car - BINGO! - all wiper functions restored!!!! Great JOY!

OK: to precise: if you have Nil wipers, first check your fuses, and then if they are all intact, replace the K11 relay.

If you have intermittent wipers: i.e. only limited selection: replace the General Module coloured green from beneath the rear seats!!

Grateful thanks to everyone who advised on my original querry: hopefully my experiences may help others.

Ragamuffin Brian

Always remember to disconnect the car battery before undertaking any of the above parts substitutions or you will damage the General Module!!!!!! :angel: