PDA

View Full Version : Is my pregnant tire repairable or done???

oyidnew
09-23-2003, 03:38 AM
I just realised that another tire of mine is pregnant!!!

These michelin HX MXM just tends to develop all these sidewall bubbles

Are those things repairable or I need a replacement??

225/45/17

Thanks.

Terry Kennedy
09-23-2003, 04:47 AM
I just realised that another tire of mine is pregnant!!!

These michelin HX MXM just tends to develop all these sidewall bubbles

Are those things repairable or I need a replacement??

225/45/17I'd like to see what the experts say, but I've been taught that any sidewall bubbles are dangerous and the tire should be taken out of service immediately.

If you're seeing this sort of damage regularly, I'd suspect that your tire pressure is low and/or you've been bouncing around in the potholes. You might also want to dismount the wheel and look at the other side of the wheel to see if you have bubbles there as well - they don't have to happen on the outside. The one time I hit a crater with my wagon, I bubbled the sidewall and bent both the inner and outer flanges of the wheel.

AF
09-23-2003, 06:17 AM
Do not drive on that tire . . . that is one nasty looking bubble and it is very dangerous to drive on . . .

Put your spare on !!!!

johnlew
09-23-2003, 06:26 AM
I think even Aty and Dred would agree that THIS pregnancy should be aborted!

Gary@Tirerack
09-23-2003, 06:38 AM
Unfortunately, those cannot be repaired. Damage from an impact has likely caused a tear in the inner liner of the tire, allowing air to migrate in between layers of the tire. The bulge will become larger and will eventually fail.

Mystikal
09-23-2003, 07:31 AM
That said, I did once drive on a very similar bubble for about 3 months, on a 205/55/16 tire. I would NOT recommend it, but an unexpectedly long wait for my next car (the E46) was the cause.

Chnage the tire immediately.

Gary@Tirerack
09-23-2003, 07:34 AM
This is a good time to check your spare, make sure its fully inflated in case you need to use it. Few situations more frustrating than having a flat spare in addition to a blowout...

MikeW
09-24-2003, 08:59 AM
Better yet, the spare is the same tire on the same wheel. Swap the spare out with the bulger and get the failing tire replaced at your convenience. I'm sure Gary will sell you one at a reasonable price :thumbup:

This is a good time to check your spare, make sure its fully inflated in case you need to use it. Few situations more frustrating than having a flat spare in addition to a blowout...

Kaz
09-24-2003, 07:32 PM
I had a P700z years ago that did this, and the vibration from this was what tipped me off (it was on the inside and I didn't notice prior).

Tires happened to be mostly bald already and it was a rainy December so I got a set of Firestone SZ50s ASAP (at a Firestone retail location, even).

JetBlack330i
09-24-2003, 08:13 PM
I think even Aty and Dred would agree that THIS pregnancy should be aborted!
:bustingup: