PDA

View Full Version : 50,000/4 years warranty - transferable?

BavarianDoc
09-23-2003, 07:42 AM
Is 50K/4 years warranty that comes with the new car transferable if you puchase a 30k/2 yeard old BMW?

thanks.

TedW
09-23-2003, 07:58 AM
Is 50K/4 years warranty that comes with the new car transferable if you puchase a 30k/2 yeard old BMW?

thanks.

Yes it is.

Ted

Makakio
09-16-2004, 03:55 PM
Help please:

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2002 325iT and I have 2 to choose from, one dealer and one a private seller. Both are 10-12k miles range. Both are good colors and what I want (step, sport, etc). Dealer wants $2200 more b/c he's telling me that only a certified used BMW dealer can transfer the original warranty (not a CPO warranty) and that an owner selling themselves cannot and thus I'm SOL on original factory warranty unless the private seller is a family member.

I smell B.S. :eeps:

So what's the deal?? There's no WAY I'm getting into this car w/o a factory warranty (CPO is another deal - the dealers I've spoken with are charging a premium of an additional $1200 for the CPO warr, and I'm pretty certain I'll find and shake out the bugs over the next 2 years of factory warranty). It seems like complete and total BS that the warranty transferring is a matter of WHO sells the car :confused: but on doing some research (unfortunately no BMW-specific answers thus my post) I've found this is VWs policy...

Can anyone shed some light?

TY

sunilsf
09-16-2004, 04:20 PM
Smells like poop... the warranty is transferable.

beewang
09-16-2004, 04:25 PM
It may be the case w/ VW, but this is BMW ;)

What part of "fully transferable" :dunno: don't ya understand??

cheers ;)

beewang :bigpimp:

Mr. The Edge
09-16-2004, 04:27 PM
my experience buying a CPO wagon was pretty good--I didn't find they charged much of a premium at all.

2003 325iT with 13,700 miles for $26,888

kurichan
09-16-2004, 04:29 PM
Dealer wants $2200 more b/c he's telling me that only a certified used BMW dealer can transfer the original warranty (not a CPO warranty) and that an owner selling themselves cannot and thus I'm SOL on original factory warranty unless the private seller is a family member.

I smell B.S. :eeps: Ask him to put that in writing. In a sense, his statement is fraud.

Artslinger
09-16-2004, 04:31 PM
From the BMUSA website:

"BMW NA provides limited warranties for any new U.S.-specification vehicles distributed by BMW NA or sold through the BMW NA European Delivery program against defects in materials or workmanship to the first retail purchaser and each subsequent purchaser.

The warranty period is for 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first, and begins on the date of first retail sale, or the date the vehicle is placed in service as a demonstrator or company vehicle, whichever is earlier."

If they did say this to you I would contact BMWNA.

Makakio
09-16-2004, 05:06 PM
THANKS ALL! I really appreciate the verbatim language, Artslinger!!!! :thumbup:

Screw CPO: I'm going to snap up the private party vehicle at $23k even. :)

SARAFIL
09-16-2004, 06:37 PM
THANKS ALL! I really appreciate the verbatim language, Artslinger!!!! :thumbup:

Screw CPO: I'm going to snap up the private party vehicle at $23k even. :)

Keep in mind that this is about the time of year when the new models come out, so the car that you are looking at could be as old as 3 full years old. In that case, it will only have one year of warranty left, and no maintenance coverage left. I'd recommend that you check the in-service date of the car before you sign on the dotted line.

Artslinger
09-16-2004, 08:26 PM
Right. 4 years or 50,000 miles from the date of purchase. You could have wide variation in coverage.

CPO's are not necessarily a bad deal. BMW CPO Limited Warranty for 2 years/50,000 miles, Certified Inspection and BMW Roadside Assistance.