PDA

View Full Version : Competition watch: MB Splitview

hayden
11-20-2009, 09:09 PM
http://www.benzblogger.com/PhotoGalleries/SPLITVIEW.jpg

from http://www.benzblogger.com/2009/11/mercedes-benz-splitview-introduced-for.html

There has been rumor for months that the SPLITVIEW Front-Seat Entertainment system would be coming to the US market for the S and CL. It is official! It is now an orderable option. If you have an S or CL on order you may be able to add this option depending on its order status.

SPLITVIEW allows the driver and passenger to view two different sources on the same COMAND screen. The driver can control all of the normal COMAND functions like radio, navigation and phone while the passenger can use headphones and a remote to watch DVD video on the same screen!

State law prohibits this system on vehicles registered in AL, AZ, CO, IL, LA, MD, MA, NH, PA, VT, VA, WA, WV and WI. But we can have it in Georgia!

SPLITVIEW - Code 867 - $700 - Order now!

If you purchase a car with this option, your dealer's service department will still need to activate it for you once you have acknowledged that you understand the legal requirements for using it in your state.

Developed by Bosch, the 8-inch TFT-LCD display will display two separate images simultaneously by placing the pixels adjacent to one another using a filtering mask to separate them for viewing. I wonder if BMW will license this as well? (if allowed) I think it's pretty neat.

See it in action 30 seconds into this video of an S600:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUPNrPMbUNI

asaseaban
11-21-2009, 12:15 AM
How do you prevent the driver from watching what the passenger is watching?
Atleast in a BMW F01/02 the optional HUD (which i think should come with all BMWs) will keep the driver eyes off the iDrive screen. I can see BMW making the HUD the primary screen for the driver and allowing the front passenger to be able to watch videos on the 10.2" iDrive screen...no need for a SPLITVIEW. With most of the iDrive content projected on the HUD, BMW can justify why the driver won't be tempted to watch what's on the iDrive screen (that the passenger is watching) and this will allow all US model BMWs (ragardless of which state the car is registered in) to have the option of watching videos (TV, movies, etc) on the front iDrive screen whilst the car is in motion.

Since not all state will allow the MB SLITVIEW i doubt it'll catch on.

BMR2009
11-21-2009, 06:55 AM
Yeah, I've seen that--very impressive. I wonder if you sacrafice any sharpness by sharing pixel space. Nontheless, it is probably the future of high-end front displays.

hayden
11-21-2009, 07:23 AM
How do you prevent the driver from watching what the passenger is watching?

What do you mean? It's physically impossible to see what the passenger sees unless you lean all the way over into the passenger seat area.

LovinM6
11-21-2009, 04:05 PM
Looks pretty cool to me! My first reaction was when is BMW doing that? If MB keeps it you can be assured it will show up at BMW one day.

want_a_7
11-21-2009, 06:29 PM
That is a really cool option. Lots of states on the do not use list though.

Wilassasin
11-23-2009, 12:33 PM
Are you sure about that, my friends have a swivel screen that its moves from driver to passenger but never heard of a split screen with two different images one for driver one for passenger.

hayden
11-23-2009, 12:46 PM
Are you sure about that, my friends have a swivel screen that its moves from driver to passenger but never heard of a split screen with two different images one for driver one for passenger.

Yes, its legit. The swivel screen was on the current pre-refresed S-Class. The 2010 refresh introduced this feature.