PDA

View Full Version : moonroof?

Iniquity
09-23-2003, 06:47 PM
I'm ordering a new car soon and deciding on wether or not to get the moonroof... is it really worth the extra $$$?? Opinions are greatly appreciated! Got maybe 2 weeks before I order.. so times a runnin out..

OBS3SSION
09-23-2003, 07:04 PM
Er... that would seem completely subjective, and something only you can really answer. Do you want a moonroof? Would you use it? Personally, I like the extra glass and "openness" it provides. I also like the extra air when I'd like it, without having to open the windows. So... me, I'd get it. But you're not me. So... I don't know.

3LOU5
09-23-2003, 07:39 PM
Er... that would seem completely subjective, and something only you can really answer. Do you want a moonroof? Would you use it? Personally, I like the extra glass and "openness" it provides. I also like the extra air when I'd like it, without having to open the windows. So... me, I'd get it. But you're not me. So... I don't know.

akbmw81
09-23-2003, 08:03 PM
Do you ever use it? Do you have the money for it? Is it worth the money for the amount that it gets used? If yes then get it...

Matthew330Ci
09-23-2003, 08:04 PM
wow, 3 to 1 in favor of not getting moonroof so far!!! :yikes: i'd have expected it the other way around.

i'm one of the 3. but it's up to you. i didn't get it cuz i never used it on my other cars. around here i can't open it w/o being pelted with unbearable sunlight.

Bruce
09-23-2003, 08:05 PM
I would prefer the headroom....BUT...you will get KILLED on resale without a sun/moonroof these days. If you plan on keeping the car more than 5 years it won't make that much difference in price, but it may allow you to sell the car sooner. If you won't keep it for 5 years you basically have to get the roof. If you are leasing- who cares get what you want.

Nick325xiT 5spd
09-23-2003, 08:05 PM
No. It creaks, it rattles, and now it's spitting bits of plastic at me.

ed325i
09-23-2003, 09:12 PM
I almost never use my moonroof. I would skip it, and save the weight and your money.

Ed

Iniquity
09-23-2003, 09:32 PM
hmm.. all good points...

I never used my moonroof until I got my bmw. COrrection.. I've never used a moonroof before. E36's have sunroofs (no window, just a "door").. I use that all the time.. cause my car is black and it's hot in AZ.. so I vent alot through the roof.. but then again.. when I had my honda or landcruiser I never used the moonroof.. something about having a window.. let alone a window and a sliding door to block the window if you don't want sun in... its like you gotta do two things to get the same result.. slide the thing open and then open the window.....

hmm.. i am going with the cloth/alcantara interior though.. so hot seats won't be as much of a problem...

but then again.. it seems like bmw's look extra sexy when you have the roof tilted up.. kinda like a spoiler.. i've got like 2-3 weeks to decide.. soo.. more opinions! (ie why you decided to get/not get a moonroof)

oh yea.. and I plan to keep the car.. and then eventually get a beater and simultatneously give a certain company in florida a call about items that go pfsshhhhhhhhhhh.. wooooooshh.. :eeps:

operknockity
09-23-2003, 10:08 PM
I never used my moonroof until I got my bmw.
I also never had a moonroof until I got the bimmer. Now I use it about 75% of the time. THink of it as the poor man's convertible... roll all the windows down and open the moonroof... lots o' wind-in-the-hair (or lots o' wind-on-the-scalp for those of us that are becoming folicly challenged :D ). Obviously my opinion is Go for it!

mppaz
09-23-2003, 10:39 PM
I live in Tucson also and use(d) my moonroof all the time. Have one in my 2002, had one in my 325i and will have one in my 330i. Can't beat a summer night with the roof open ;)

mkh
09-23-2003, 10:48 PM
hmm.. i am going with the cloth/alcantara interior though.. so hot seats won't be as much of a problem...

but then again.. it seems like bmw's look extra sexy when you have the roof tilted up.. kinda like a spoiler.. i've got like 2-3 weeks to decide.. soo.. more opinions! (ie why you decided to get/not get a moonroof)

oh yea.. and I plan to keep the car.. and then eventually get a beater and simultatneously give a certain company in florida a call about items that go pfsshhhhhhhhhhh.. wooooooshh.. :eeps:
It looks like that you are getting a 330i w/ZHP. I have the same car and I decided NOT to get the moonroof. Why?

1. I seldom use it other than tilting up for air ventilation when parked. You are correct, if you go with alcantara/cloth, heat is not a big problem, even in S. Calif with temp of 100+. Just leave a small gap on the windows and you'll be fine.

2. I don't want to pay $1050 for just a piece of sliding glass on the top.

3. I can save some weight and gain some rigidity. Some may argue that these are insignificant, but hey this is a bonus. Anything is better than nothing.

4. No worry about future electrical/mechanical problems and rattles.

5. I don't care much about resale. I also don't believe that I can't sell a car without a moonroof. Maybe it's not as easy but it doesn't bother me.

Of course, these are just my own reasons of not getting the moonroof. Yours may be different, and it is very subjective. By the way, if you really want to get the alcantara/cloth, you'd better hurry since this option is being discontinued. Beginning MY2004, it will be replaced by leather/cloth.

Lonni24
09-24-2003, 04:51 AM
No you dont need a moonroof. you need a cab :thumbup:

Artslinger
09-24-2003, 05:22 AM
If you are not sure if you want a moonroof, you don't need one, you'll never miss it. Save yourself some money now, you will never make it up on resale.

Nick325xiT 5spd
09-24-2003, 05:30 AM
Oh yeah, other things:

When wearing a helmet, the moonroof has a huge effect on my seating position. Clyde's car is one heck of a lot more comfortable.

Lonni24
09-24-2003, 05:36 AM
Do you like sun, air. Then you need it.

if not then not.

WLN1951B
09-24-2003, 06:13 AM
I agree with Artslinger. You don't need one if you have a big question mark about it. I personally don't think the benefits of a sunroof are there and I appreciate BMW allowing me to bypass the purchase of one.

Mr. Sparkle
09-24-2003, 08:57 AM
I use mine all the time. But I like the fresh air instead of the AC.

Zaphod
09-24-2003, 09:20 AM
I use mine all the time. But I like the fresh air instead of the AC.

I was on the fence like you when I ordered my car. A couple of things put me over the edge in favor of the sunroof - resale and the fact that BMW won't credit you back for the sunroof if you opt to delete it out of the premium package.

I am surprised at how much I use it. I especially like the vent feature, it really helps to pull the air through the car. Also, the extra light combined with the Nat Brown interior makes for a very open feel in the cabin.

numbersguy
09-24-2003, 10:53 AM
I'm ordering a new car soon and deciding on wether or not to get the moonroof... is it really worth the extra $$$?? Opinions are greatly appreciated! Got maybe 2 weeks before I order.. so times a runnin out..

I just ordered a 325i without a moonroof so that should tell you how much I like them.

But if you've never had one on a car then I recommend you order yours with one. Maybe you'll use it and maybe you won't, but if you don't get one you may be wondering for a long time if you did the right thing.

By the way, I've had three cars with moonroofs and that's why I'm so sure I don't want one.

AF
09-24-2003, 11:06 AM
I use mine a lot . . .the part I like the most about a sunroof is on a cold winter day when the heat is blasting, you tilt the sunrrof and it gives you nice cold fresh air.

bmw325
09-24-2003, 11:12 AM
I actually like having a moonroof-- i like to have fresh air rather than AC-- and I prefer it optening the windows (which tends to be noiser and blows air right in your face). That being said, I'm fully aware of the extra rattles, leaks, general malfucntions, etc that it will probably cause me one day.

aardvark
09-24-2003, 01:18 PM
Save yourself some money now, you will never make it up on resale.

Yeah, that's basically how I see it. I'm always seeing people claim that the moonroof is a wonderful asset when it comes to resale. Even if that were true (and I'm skeptical that it is), I really doubt that it adds its full MSRP back on to the resale value, especially if you're planning to keep the car more than a couple years.

Melissa
09-24-2003, 01:45 PM
If my next BMW isn't a convertible....well, I'll never NOT have at least a moonroof ever again! I love it. If it's at least 70 degrees, it's wide open. If it's cooler than that, well, chances are still good it will be open, even if I have to have the heat on.

You just have to decide if you would get enough use from it to justify it. Good luck! :)

bten
09-24-2003, 03:05 PM

It might just be me :confused: , but I think the stereo sounds better with the roof open, especially when it is cranked up loud. (Classic Rock and Roll)... :D

The Roadstergal
09-24-2003, 03:51 PM
No you dont need a moonroof. you need a cab :thumbup:

Or a roadster. ;)

Sounds too subjective for us to tell you. The headroom/helmet issue seems like the only part that will be objective.

EZ
09-24-2003, 04:29 PM
It's interesting that people from California/Arizona have voted 5:3 (I added my vote for no moonroof) in favor of having no moonroof, whereas those from colder climates (East/Northeast) are 3:4 in favor of having one.

My wife has a moonroof in her A4/Avant and she never uses it. I just ordered a bimmer without one. It seems to me that the sun is too harsh in the Southwest for a moonroof. However, a lot of folks obviously disagree with me -- otherwise we would've never had so many convertibles around here.

It's a personal choice, do what suits you better.

Mr. Sparkle
09-24-2003, 04:34 PM
Or a roadster. ;)

Even better. :thumbup:

Nick325xiT 5spd
09-24-2003, 04:34 PM
I should say that if I didn't hate the mechanicals of the BMW moonroof so much, I'd say yes. Even with the helmet issue.

operknockity
09-24-2003, 05:27 PM
I It seems to me that the sun is too harsh in the Southwest for a moonroof. However, a lot of folks obviously disagree with me -- otherwise we would've never had so many convertibles around here.
During the day, you can just crack the moonroof open and keep the cover mostly closed and you'll still get airflow but keep most of the sun out. At night, your moonroof don't know if it's in SoCal or the North Pole :D

ObD
09-24-2003, 05:27 PM
I like a moonroof for all the reasons people have previously stated. In addition I like the extra light it provides in the cabin during those dull winter days.

3seriesbimmer
09-24-2003, 05:50 PM
Don't get a moonroof if you are A: Sport driving enthusiast or B: under 6 feet tall. I have one I'm 5'7" and I don't use it.

Melissa
09-24-2003, 05:55 PM
B: under 6 feet tall. I have one I'm 5'7" and I don't use it.

:dunno: I don't get it. I'm 5'3" in 3" heels and mine is always open.

operknockity
09-24-2003, 06:01 PM
Don't get a moonroof if you are A: Sport driving enthusiast or B: under 6 feet tall. I have one I'm 5'7" and I don't use it.

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

mkh
09-24-2003, 06:10 PM
I think it really boils down to whether you think it is worthwhile or not to pay an extra thousand for it. If spending another $1k is like nothing to you, then might as well get it. At least when you decide to use it some time, it is there. But if you are in a tight budget, I don't see the necessity of stretching it to opt for the moonroof. However, if you are a really tall person, then forget it.

Nick325xiT 5spd
09-24-2003, 06:11 PM
:dunno: I don't get it. I'm 5'3" in 3" heels and mine is always open.
I don't get it either... The taller you are, the less comfortable you'd be with one.

Iniquity
09-24-2003, 07:24 PM
thanks for all the opinions.. hmmm.....

the only thing I use my current moonroof for is to vent heat.. so I only use the tilt option.. not the slide completely open option....

the only time I do open the roof all the way is when it gets cool out at night.. and only at night so I can have the moonlight/startlight in the cabin... but that's only a couple months out of the year.. the thing is I just can't imagine having a car without it.. so I don't want to regret not getting it.. :dunno: ... i dunno what to do :mad:

Oh yea.. is it true they're not gonna do the alcantra/cloth anymore? that sucks... what's MY2004 anyway? not familiar with the terminology..

AF
09-24-2003, 07:31 PM
thanks for all the opinions.. hmmm.....

the only thing I use my current moonroof for is to vent heat.. so I only use the tilt option.. not the slide completely open option....

the only time I do open the roof all the way is when it gets cool out at night.. and only at night so I can have the moonlight/startlight in the cabin... but that's only a couple months out of the year.. the thing is I just can't imagine having a car without it.. so I don't want to regret not getting it.. :dunno: ... i dunno what to do :mad:

Oh yea.. is it true they're not gonna do the alcantra/cloth anymore? that sucks... what's MY2004 anyway? not familiar with the terminology..

From the sound of your post, if you do get one you know you won't regret it however if you don't get one, there is a chance you will regret it . . . I think you should get it plus at resale time you will get a lot of your money back since there is a deduction if you don't have one . . .
So what I am trying to say is, it might seem like a lot of money now but at least when you sell the car you will recoup some of the money and you'll have no regrets on those days you wish you had one.

Also MY2004 means Model Year 2004