PDA

View Full Version : E34 gear shift issue

bigtelbmw
11-22-2009, 08:31 AM
I have an E34 which can be difficult to get into 1st or reverse when cold. Having covered 148k will it be wear in the shifter, the box, or is the clutch on its way out.

Many thanks

Terry UK

Rodrick Msuya
12-01-2009, 06:10 AM
Don***8217;t rush to the Trans, it could be something else like wheel speed sensor or TPS switch.
On my car 525i e34 I have been getting "Trans Program" now and then, so I decided to get it diagnosed.
Three fault codes were found, 'R Shift Solenoid Fuse'. I need help on this guys because I don***8217;t really know what it is and where to find it in the car.
Second fault code was 'Right Front Speed Sensor'. Now this fault could be cased by water or dust or loose connection. I have not checked it yet.
Third fault code was 'Oxygen Sensor'. I have not replaced this as yet, but I tried to clear it for some reason the diagnosis machine couldn***8217;t do it. The machine came up with communication error with the Engine ECU.

Can some one help me on showing me where 'R Shift Solenoid Fuse' is located on the car?

rdc
12-01-2009, 12:15 PM
Manual trany I assume. If so, the oil in the gear box may be getting stiff when cold. I would change the trany oil, especially if it has been in a long time. some owners use a ligher weight oil to make shiffing easier.

BrothaMansWhip2
12-01-2009, 03:31 PM
I would go to realoem and look at parts and you should be able to see it in an exploded view

Rodrick Msuya
12-01-2009, 10:15 PM
Thank you guys for the feed back. For correction, my tranny is an Auto and the 'R Shift Solenoid Fuse' probably could be something to do with the gear shifter in side the car. Still need help on this.

And as for the third fault code was 'Oxygen Sensor'. As I said before, I tried to clear the fault code from the ECU and for some reason the diagnosis machine couldn't do it. The machine came up with communication error with the Engine ECU. What do you guy think could be casing this.

Again I connected the diagnosis machine to the car yesterday and did a 'actuator activation' test by sending commands from the diag machine to the ECU telling it to activate wipers, cabin light, door windows, and so on. On all the test after the command was executed, at the end of it, the diag machine returns a communication error and fault codes were listed as follows:

Code1: Interlock has been activated, code2: Fault currently present, code3: [ b,21, 2, 7 ], Please refer to relevant technical manual, code4: [ b, 21, 2, 6], Please refer to relevant technical manual, code5: [ b,21, 2, 2], Please refer to relevant technical manual, code6: ZV relay for double locking car, code7: ADV relay, fuse, code8: Relay for FH, driver's door and FH, driver's side rear and sliding tilting sunroof, code9: Relay for FH, driver's sides, code10: Relay for FH, driver's side rear, code11: Relay for FH, passenger's side rear, code12: Relay for sliding/tilting, code13: relay for FH, Passenger's door and FH, Passenger's side rear.

If you look at the F codes quickly, I would think a quick run through on all fuses and relays is needed.

What do you lot think

Rodrick Msuya
12-06-2009, 10:01 PM
Does anyone have any idea of what the following fault codes mean:
- 'R Shift Solenoid Fuse'
- Interlock has been activated
- ZV relay for double locking car
- ADV relay, fuse

I would really appreciate if someone can help me on this.

jenlex
12-08-2009, 01:58 PM
ZV=Zentralverriegelung.......

Means the lockingsystem off al doors thrunk and fuelcap

Interlock and doublelock also relate to the central locking system.

FH= Fensterheber

Powerwindows

ADV is that a german or an english short? have no idea what that is?

May I ask what diagnoseprogramm you are using?

Alex

Rodrick Msuya
12-10-2009, 11:30 PM
Me and my friend bought 'launch x431 master' from UK, but I think it was made in China.

For some reason I could not find any fault code translation for BMW 525i E34 on the net, but funny enough when we did bmw E46 which had misfire problem, all the fault codes were found on the net with proper explanation down to causes and remedies.

I have been getting 'Trans Program' most of the time with 'R Shift Solenoid Fuse' fault code logged. I would really appreciate if any one can help me on explaining the error and how to rectify it.

Another thing that I did'nt know about these E43 Transmission ECU program, is that when the ECU finds any faults on the system it will switch to limp mode (safe mode) regardless if you were speeding or just cruising. It happened to me the other day I was doing 120kph and then boom switched to 3rd gear and as you all know, the engine rev went so high I had to switch quicky to natural (N).

My view on this is that it is very stupid of them to have this function on the system because it will definitely lead to engine or transmission problem.

jenlex
12-11-2009, 04:00 PM
You mean these?

1211 DME Control Unit
1215 Air Mass Sensor
1216 Throttle Potentiometer
1218 Output Stage, Group 1
1219 Output Stage, Group 2
1221 Oxygen Sensor 1
1212 Oxygen Sensor 2
1222 Lambda Control 1
1213 Lambda Control 2
1223 Coolant Temperature Sensor
1224 Intake Air Temperature Sensor
1225 Knock Sensor 1
1226 Knock Sensor 2
1227 Knock Sensor 3
1228 Knock Sensor 4
1231 Battery Voltage/DME Main Relay
1232 Throttle Idle Switch
1233 Throttle Wide Open Throttle Switch
1234 Speedometer A Signal
1237 A/C Compressor Cut Off
1242 A/C Compressor
1243 Crankshaft Pulse Sensor
1244 Camshaft Sensor
1245 Intervention AEGS
1247 Ignition Secondary Monitor
1251 Fuel Injector 1 (or group 1)
1252 Fuel Injector 2 (or group 2)
1253 Fuel Injector 3
1254 Fuel Injector 4
1255 Fuel Injector 5
1256 Fuel Injector 6
1257 Fuel Injector 7
1258 Fuel Injector 8
1261 Fuel Pump Relay Control
1262 Idle Speed Actuator
1263 Purge Valve
1264 EGO Heater
1265 Fault Lamp (check engine light)
1266 VANOS
1267 Air Pump Relay Control
1271 Ignition Coil 1
1272 Ignition Coil 2
1273 Ignition Coil 3
1274 Ignition Coil 4
1275 Ignition Coil 5
1276 Ignition Coil 6
1277 Ignition Coil 7
1278 Ignition Coil 8
1281 Control Unit Memory Supply
1282 Fault Code Memory
1283 Fuel Injector Output Stage
1286 Knock Control Test Pulse
1444 No Fault Codes

Alex

Rodrick Msuya
12-11-2009, 11:35 PM
I don***8217;t think so, on our diag machine the fault codes are displayed in ascending order like 'code 0001, 0002, 0003, with the name of the faulty device and so on. They were not listed with codes starting with 12----, it was just like I mentioned above (code0001 R shift solenoid fuse).

If I try to search that on the net, I get nothing that is meaningful. If I could get this solenoid fuse replaced, I think my 'Trans Program' issue will go away.

So Please Help!!!!!!!!!

jbh1989
12-25-2009, 11:32 PM
Which launch software are you using? I had some issues with some of the 35 series software. It stopped coding ABS units out of the blue. Worked one day, didn't the next. Updated to latest, works fine.

BMWs seem to have wierd issues with a lot of different scan tools. The VEDIS for one won't talk to E46s without going nuts.

I can hook up the launch to my E34 and see what it does, I normally use my brick for my car. There are only a couple transmission codes for this vehicle. What you can do is access the EGS connector (behind the passenger's kick panel speaker), and check the wiring. Ohm between the terminals for the different shift solenoids and the pressure regulator solenoid. Make sure you have a good power and ground (no excessive voltage drop on either end). Make sure AC ripple is not excessive. Does the code come back immediately? Remove the EGS connector and let it sit. When you start does it give you a code immediately? Can I get some detailed info on your car? I'm not psychic.

I have a very intermittent shift solenoid B problem in my car. Every couple of months it'll drop of of lockup, bong, then shift to third gear when I stop. No real obvious issues, clear it and it goes away.

Rodrick Msuya
12-29-2009, 01:04 AM
I am currently using 38.10 ver on Launch X431 Master.

The Fault 'R Shift Solenoid Fuse' under transmission fault code list I would think normally reappeared after a couple of drives. I have not really tried to trace when the ECU logs the fault.

And regarding the EGS, would I see just some connectors or an EGS control box?

jbh1989
12-29-2009, 03:12 PM
There's a control box behind the speaker. There are two or three tens that hold it in place. I'm pretty sure the software is reporting an incorrect code because there is no such code on these vintage of BMWs.

Rodrick Msuya
12-30-2009, 07:39 AM
I have got the car details that you request.

-BMW 525i E34 1995
-DME = M3.3.1 M50 D25
-EGS = Jecs 5 speed Trans (A5S-300J (Jatco - RLA)
= ATF recommended by bmw is Appoloil atd d-3, but at the moment I am using Caltex D-II

I also checked if the 'R Shift Solenoid Fuse' fault code comes back immediately and it did not, but it only came back when 'Tran Program' (safemode) kicked in.

What I did yesterday was a real time (Streaming) diagnosis of the EGS (Trany) by connecting the Diag machine and went on drive. At the time I had already erased the fault code and after a while when I was driving and monitoring the diag machine, 'Reverse Gear Lock' came 'On'. That***8217;s when 'Trans Program' kicked in and 'R Shift solenoid Fuse' fault was logged.

The 'Reverse Gear Lock' solenoid valve was normally 'Off' during the drive test, only when EGS switched limp-mode, 'Reverse Gear Lock' solenoid valve came 'On'.

Is this solenoid related to the 'R Shift Solenoid Fuse' fault code, and if so, how do I rectify it. On a normal operating condition, when does the 'Reverse Gear lock' engaged. When does it come ***8216;On***8217;?

jbh1989
12-30-2009, 06:24 PM
I'm sorry, I have no idea what to tell you.

In the states all our 525i E34s are equipped with a GM 4-speed automatic transmission. It appears you have a 5-speed and a different configuration than us. What are the first seven digits of your vin? (aka mine is WBAHD63)

Rodrick Msuya
01-04-2010, 11:56 PM
I will get you the VIN, but I would like to update you at the moment on the 'Reverse Gear Lock' solenoid valve operation theory.

'Reverse Gear Lock' or also known as 'Reverse Gear Lockout' is a solenoid valve that I think is fitted on most Auto tranny to prevent the driver from accidently shifting the gear liver to Reverse while driving. On a normal situation, the 'Reverse Gear Lockout' solenoid valve is supposed to be 'On' or 'Off' while driving depending on the mechanics of the locking system, that to say, the solenoid valve could be set to lockout the shifter on 'Off' or 'On' position.

A driver will then need to press the brakes and the button on the shifter for the EGS to release the lock and engages the reverse gear.

On my situation, the 'Reverse Gear Lockout' solenoid valve was normally 'Off' during the drive test, only when EGS switched limp-mode, 'Reverse Gear Lockout' solenoid valve came 'On'.

I will need to do some more tests to come to a conclusion on this. I will keep you posted.

Rodrick Msuya
01-07-2010, 07:42 AM
Ok guys, I think I am getting some where on this issue.

'Reverse Gear Lock' or Lockout:
The EGS will lockout reverse above 3MPH to prevent drivetrain damage. The range selector lever will go into the reverse detent, but reverse will not engage. This is achieved by the EGS through hydraulic intervention. The transmission will appear to be in neural. Note: Reverse Lockout is not operative when in safemode.

With this information, now that I understand what 'Reverse Gear Lock' works, I did another drive test with my diag machine connected data streaming EGS 'Reverse Gear Lock' and 'Reverse Gear Lock (PIN43)'. The Diagnosis machine showed 'Reverse Gear Lock = Off' and 'Reverse Gear Lock (PIN43) = 12V before starting driving and did not change even during the drive test. This is the fault. When I was driving the 'Reverse Gear Lock' should switch to 'On', but is it did not.

So I thought of doing some trouble shooting, by shifting the lever to 'N' while on motion and then 'Reverse Gear Lock' switched to 'On' and 'Reverse Gear Lock (PIN43)' switched to 'Open'. Then I went back to 'D' again , but still on motion and the Lock remained 'On' and PIN43 remained 'Open'.
I then decided to slow down and completely stop the car and the Lock went 'Off' and PIN43 to '12V'.

In general, it shows that 'Reverse Gear Lock' does not switch 'On***8217; when driving (on ***8216;D***8217;), but if I shift the lever to 'N' while on motion above 3MPH it engages and disengages below 3MPH which is normal.

I would think it is all to do with signal inputs to the EGS. I will have to figure out what input the EGS needs to switch the 'Reverse Gear Lock' 'On' when I am on 'D'. From there I can trace down the faulty signal.

Rodrick Msuya
01-07-2010, 07:42 AM
Ok guys, I think I am getting some where on this issue.

'Reverse Gear Lock' or Lockout:
The EGS will lockout reverse above 3MPH to prevent drivetrain damage. The range selector lever will go into the reverse detent, but reverse will not engage. This is achieved by the EGS through hydraulic intervention. The transmission will appear to be in neural. Note: Reverse Lockout is not operative when in safemode.

With this information, now that I understand what 'Reverse Gear Lock' works, I did another drive test with my diag machine connected data streaming EGS 'Reverse Gear Lock' and 'Reverse Gear Lock (PIN43)'. The Diagnosis machine showed 'Reverse Gear Lock = Off' and 'Reverse Gear Lock (PIN43) = 12V before starting driving and did not change even during the drive test. This is the fault. When I was driving the 'Reverse Gear Lock' should switch to 'On', but is it did not.

So I thought of doing some trouble shooting, by shifting the lever to 'N' while on motion and then 'Reverse Gear Lock' switched to 'On' and 'Reverse Gear Lock (PIN43)' switched to 'Open'. Then I went back to 'D' again , but still on motion and the Lock remained 'On' and PIN43 remained 'Open'.
I then decided to slow down and completely stop the car and the Lock went 'Off' and PIN43 to '12V'.

In general, it shows that 'Reverse Gear Lock' does not switch 'On when driving (on D), but if I shift the lever to 'N' while on motion above 3MPH it engages and disengages below 3MPH which is normal.

I would think it is all to do with signal inputs to the EGS. I will have to figure out what input the EGS needs to switch the 'Reverse Gear Lock' 'On' when I am on 'D'. From there I can trace down the faulty signal.

ross1
01-07-2010, 10:00 AM
Too heavy gear oil or air in the hydraulic clutch