PDA

View Full Version : Do window chips grow?

2b9m3w
09-23-2003, 11:50 PM
As I was driving my new 330 home from the dealer (ED), I took a rock and ended up with a little chip on the windshield. :( It is small, about the size of a ball point pen tip and doesn't appear to have gone through. I can't feel it on the inside of the glass. Also there are no radial cracks coming from it.

Does this sound like something that will get worse?

Thanks!

F1Crazy
09-24-2003, 08:21 AM
Why take a chance? There are places that will fix this kind of damage, sometimes it will come out so good that you won't be able to find it.
I've used Safelite AutoGlass (http://www.safelite.com/) on several occasions. Most insurance companies will pick up a bill and Safelite handled all paperwork.

operknockity
09-24-2003, 08:25 AM
I've used Safelite AutoGlass (http://www.safelite.com/) on several occasions.
What kind of repairs have they done for you and how much did they charge (just in case one's insurance will not cover it)?

F1Crazy
09-24-2003, 08:52 AM
What kind of repairs have they done for you and how much did they charge (just in case one's insurance will not cover it)?

They will repair chips and small cracks, it can be done at your place within 20 minutes. I had 2 chips fixed, they look like a tiny bug splash after the fix, really hard to notice, repair is around $50.

Mr. The Edge
09-24-2003, 08:54 AM
repair is around $50.

:yikes:

at that rate it would take about $2500 to fix all my chips.

IMO, it's just not worth it to fix windshield chips--just wait till you get a crack and then get it replaced

m3again
09-24-2003, 09:08 AM
:yikes:

at that rate it would take about $2500 to fix all my chips.

IMO, it's just not worth it to fix windshield chips--just wait till you get a crack and then get it replaced

You have 50 significant chips on your windshield! Wow, where do you drive, in a quarry?

Spectre
09-24-2003, 10:25 AM
Considering that a windshield replacement on my current car ran around $200 through Safelite, you have to decide if you want to wait for cracks to appear. Safelite made changing the windshield so easy (they come on-site and do all the work out of a service van) that I finally had to do it. That and I couldn't stand the distortion line that was starting to dominate my field of view.

Mr. The Edge
09-24-2003, 10:27 AM
You have 50 significant chips on your windshield! Wow, where do you drive, in a quarry?

not significant, but the size that was described in the first post, yes.

Pinecone
09-24-2003, 11:13 AM
To answer the question, yes they do grow over time. \water gets in and with temperature changes the chips get larger with radial cracks, and sometimes are the starting point for BIG cracks.

If you could feel the chip from the inside you would have one heck of a big chunk out of the windshield. Windshield glass is a layered material of two pieces of glass with a plastic layer inbetween. This keeps the windshield intact when it is hit.

GregE_325
09-24-2003, 01:15 PM
It's amazing how such small chips in the glass can grow into such large cracks in a short amount of time. I had a small chip, that I didn't even notice become a foot long crack one day when the car sat out in the sun. And that happened just a couple of weeks ago.

If they are only fixing chips by filling them in, the mobile glass repair guys will do just fine. But using them for a complete windshield replacement is a bad idea. A properly installed windshield should sit for a day or so (without the car being driven) so that the glue can set properly. Those "come to your place" glass guys won't tell you that, and you'll end up with a significantly higher chance that the windshield will develop leaks. A reputable glass shop, or the dealer, will want the car to stay overnight so that the glue will dry as it should, and form a nice seal around the glass.

Spectre
09-24-2003, 03:52 PM
If they are only fixing chips by filling them in, the mobile glass repair guys will do just fine. But using them for a complete windshield replacement is a bad idea. A properly installed windshield should sit for a day or so (without the car being driven) so that the glue can set properly. Those "come to your place" glass guys won't tell you that, and you'll end up with a significantly higher chance that the windshield will develop leaks. A reputable glass shop, or the dealer, will want the car to stay overnight so that the glue will dry as it should, and form a nice seal around the glass.
Interesting to hear. Yeah, the Safelite guy didn't mention that. He did tell me to leave the car alone for several hours and to make sure not to get it wet for 24 hours. I guess I came out all right -- the glass hasn't leaked yet. :eeps:

F1Crazy
09-24-2003, 04:03 PM
There are few different seals/glues used depending on weather conditions. Initial bonding is very quick and allows you to use car almost immediately but it fully dries in the next few days.

markseven
04-25-2005, 07:58 PM
Why take a chance? There are places that will fix this kind of damage, sometimes it will come out so good that you won't be able to find it.
I've used Safelite AutoGlass (http://www.safelite.com/) on several occasions. Most insurance companies will pick up a bill and Safelite handled all paperwork.
I just had a pretty major chip repaired by Safelite. I called 'em this afternoon, and within 1.5 hours, a tech was at my office. Fifteen minutes later (no joke), my windshield was 95% better. It's amazing for $59.95. :) I wish I woulda taken before and after pictures...

bimmerfest! :thumbup:

-Mark

jgrgnt
04-25-2005, 11:14 PM
FWIW, I've had a small chip in my windshield, and it's not grown in almost three years. That includes 100+ degree weather, crazy thunderstorms, and 1 year ungaraged.

Of course, just my luck I'd wake up tomorrow morning and find a gigantic crack.

- Michael

markseven
04-26-2005, 01:35 AM
FWIW, I've had a small chip in my windshield, and it's not grown in almost three years. That includes 100+ degree weather, crazy thunderstorms, and 1 year ungaraged.

Of course, just my luck I'd wake up tomorrow morning and find a gigantic crack.

- Michael
Hi Michael,

There has been a very small crack on the lower passenger side corner of my windshield since I bought the car a year ago, and it hasn't grown at all. The new chip was very close to my line of sight - if I glance a few degrees to the right, the sucker is right there. Also, the new one was pretty large, so I imagine it would have grown.

-Mark

jgrgnt
04-26-2005, 01:58 AM
Hi Michael,

There has been a very small crack on the lower passenger side corner of my windshield since I bought the car a year ago, and it hasn't grown at all. The new chip was very close to my line of sight - if I glance a few degrees to the right, the sucker is right there. Also, the new one was pretty large, so I imagine it would have grown.

-Mark

Your wagon is looking good, Mark. :thumbup:

I'm fortunate in that my chip is off on the right side of the windshield, where I hardly notice it. I think it's more of a distraction for the person sitting in the passenger seat. Guests have commented about it on more than one occassion. I think it annoys them.

- Michael

markseven
04-26-2005, 03:11 AM
Guests have commented about it on more than one occassion. I think it annoys them.
Haha, good enough reason to leave it as-is :D :rofl:

I'm thinking of getting a chin spoiler for the wagon... what do ya think? Any recommendations?

-Mark

LDV330i
04-26-2005, 07:03 AM
I just had a pretty major chip repaired by Safelite. I called 'em this afternoon, and within 1.5 hours, a tech was at my office. Fifteen minutes later (no joke), my windshield was 95% better. It's amazing for $59.95. :) I wish I woulda taken before and after pictures...

-Mark I have repaired chips in my windshield by putting a small drop of Super Glue in the nicked area. Cost: $3.00 :thumbup: None of the chips repaired in that manner ever spidered.

vern
04-26-2005, 07:28 AM

-Mark
I had a chip fixed by Safelite and the insurance paid the $59.95 but the fix became a crack the first very hot day and I had to have the wind shield with rain sensor replaced.I didn't use Safelite to replace the OEM wind shield I use a private glass company that the insurance company recomended,paid the $ 100 deductable and everything went fine.
cheers
vern

markseven
04-26-2005, 08:06 AM
I have repaired chips in my windshield by putting a small drop of Super Glue in the nicked area. Cost: $3.00 :thumbup: None of the chips repaired in that manner ever spidered.
Live and learn. I may use that method next time... cool thing about the Safelite method is the chip is no longer visible.

had a chip fixed by Safelite and the insurance paid the $59.95 but the fix became a crack the first very hot day
Hey Vern! Safelite warrantys the work... did you contact them when the chip spread?

-Mark

Tanning machine
04-26-2005, 10:05 AM
It's amazing how such small chips in the glass can grow into such large cracks in a short amount of time. I had a small chip, that I didn't even notice become a foot long crack one day when the car sat out in the sun. And that happened just a couple of weeks ago.

Same experience here, although years ago. Piece of rock hit the corner of the 'shield, with about a 1/2" small crack. By the time lunch rolled around, and the sun was on the 'shield, I came out and the crack had gone all the way up one side and across the middle.

Just depends is th answer.

vern
04-26-2005, 10:25 AM
Live and learn. I may use that method next time... cool thing about the Safelite method is the chip is no longer visible.

Hey Vern! Safelite warrantys the work... did you contact them when the chip spread?

-Mark
No .I contacted the insurance company,thats how I got the new wind shield.They took care of everything.
cheers
vern
PS Safelite makes you sign a form telling you that the chip could develope into a crack after the repair.

ObD
04-26-2005, 10:34 AM

Texas ... same as a quarry. :p

Chupracabre
05-07-2005, 12:28 PM
Ya you can get fairly big chips fix for about $20 - $50.

If there are radial lines - in time it will grow. It depends on bumps, and weather.

cwsqbm
05-08-2005, 08:03 PM
As I was driving my new 330 home from the dealer (ED), I took a rock and ended up with a little chip on the windshield. :( It is small, about the size of a ball point pen tip and doesn't appear to have gone through. I can't feel it on the inside of the glass. Also there are no radial cracks coming from it.

Does this sound like something that will get worse?

Thanks!

I had a chip in my windshield that stayed the same size for six months, until one day it instantly grew to a foot-long horizontal crack. After that, it spent the next couple weeks slowly growing in a winding path all over my windshield until it stabilized. I drove that way for a few more months (waiting for spring) before getting it replaced the day I traded it in (asked dealer had he said he'd give additional $300 if window fixed).

redbeemer
05-12-2005, 12:32 AM
I had a chip in my windshield that stayed the same size for six months, until one day it instantly grew ...

Windshield chips never get smaller with time ...