PDA

View Full Version : New 5 has more features than our 7 :(

bruno787
11-23-2009, 12:35 PM
reading the new5 details, it seems the car has all the technologies/features of the 7 and more (parking assistant, dynamic xenon standard, 8spd tranny).....

mb always differentiates its S class from the C and E when it comes to features. in this case, it seems the only difference is body size and price. i feel ripped.

Wilassasin
11-23-2009, 12:36 PM
I agree, not saying that the new design isnt beautiful but c'mon the 7er is supoposed 2b the flagship sedan and now its meerly a larger version of the 5.

hayden
11-23-2009, 12:48 PM
These new features will probably be added to the 7 soon. They can't stand still... they always have to innovate. Remember the head-up display didn't even get to the 7 until 2009!

Wilassasin
11-23-2009, 01:07 PM
These new features will probably be added to the 7 soon. They can't stand still... they always have to innovate. Remember the head-up display didn't even get to the 7 until 2009!

Yes im sure the next model 7 will get additional features but the point is the 5 series is damn near identical to the 7, that shouldnt be.

hayden
11-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Yes im sure the next model 7 will get additional features but the point is the 5 series is damn near identical to the 7, that shouldnt be.

They won't wait for the new model. All of these features will be incorporated into the F01/F02 refresh in 2012 at the latest. I think the 5 acutally looks like a mix of the current 3 and 7 series. The interior is all 7.

bruno787
11-23-2009, 01:56 PM
identical interior, more features, cheaper price.......unfair. they should have kept some gizmos unique to the 7, cmon even the black panel instruments were carried over.

nothing is unique to the 7, things are even lacking.:thumbdwn:

BMR2009
11-23-2009, 02:23 PM
What a gyp. Saving some gizmos for the 7 is important for the "exclusivity" factor. They seem to be whoring out the 7 and all its parts on the cheaper cars.

asaseaban
11-23-2009, 02:43 PM
reading the new5 details, it seems the car has all the technologies/features of the 7 and more (parking assistant, dynamic xenon standard, 8spd tranny).....

mb always differentiates its S class from the C and E when it comes to features. in this case, it seems the only difference is body size and price. i feel ripped.

Fear not bruno787, BMW always introduces new technologies in the 3er, 5er, sometimes the X5 and then pack all those technologies and more into the 7er. Their flagship is guaranteed to always have the best technologies...but it depends on what MY you get;)

zich6
11-23-2009, 02:48 PM

Agree. This is wrong. What could BMW be thinking?

asaseaban
11-23-2009, 03:03 PM
I understand some of us are very upset but BMW has always being this way. New technologies, features, options, etc are gradually introduced/tested on other smaller series and they're all eventually bundle and loaded into the 7er.

Forget about more features and options in the new 5er. It look like a mini F01...the side mirrors, the tail lights, the big pull down grill (EU requirement), the side view cameras, etc. Is it just a coincidence that they're both designated F01 and F10?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbxAVbD3ja8

The entire interior is a clone of F01
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0EsjRp3T7Y

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=210438&stc=1&d=1259674449
However, i noticed that the shift lever is different...
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=209642&stc=1&d=1259020440

...compare to F01
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=209643&stc=1&d=1259020534

Checkout the Parking Assistant in action
http://jackyan.********/library/video/6a00c2252293c4604a0123f18083ad860f.html

esk
11-23-2009, 06:19 PM
Actually, I'm pleasantly surprised how different the exterior of the new 5 looks compared to the 7 considering the spy photos that have been floating around.

The interior is an entirely different matter. No originality in the design. They even gave it PADDLE SHIFTERS!

Wilassasin
11-24-2009, 09:00 AM
To me the exterior looks the same as the 7, its just not as boxy and has a smoother edges like the 3series, but otherwise its the baby brother. I'm nolonger upset tho because all n all u can definitely differentiate between the two cars. I'll be honest with u guys my plan was to trade my 7 for a s550 amg as of march 2010, however the new 7 is starting to grow on me so I may keep it in the family.

BTW, is the wood in the 7 as shiny as the 5. I like the 5 series interior and seats.

bruno787
11-24-2009, 12:47 PM
ohhh....the new5 even parks itself? duh.

bruno787
11-24-2009, 12:55 PM
btw, it seems its got "whiter angel eyes"????

asaseaban
11-24-2009, 01:00 PM

Yep.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=209748&stc=1&d=1259103802

The corona ring lights are now white LED rings similar to Audi, MB, and Porche white LED daytime running lights but BMW kept the rings.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=209749&stc=1&d=1259103802

zich6
11-24-2009, 04:32 PM
The one thing that is most anoying when expressing a concern is a reply similar to "we've always done it this way." - the bane of all those committed to improving a situation/company. BMW truly needs change here. They are alone in this "perculate from the bottom to the top" philosophy. To my knowledge Mercedes, Audi, Porche, Jaguar and Caddilac - BMW's chief competition, do not handle technology in this way. It alienates BMW's most affluent buyers and is monumentally stupid.

I understand some of us are very upset but BMW has always being this way. New technologies, features, options, etc are gradually introduced/tested on other smaller series and they're all eventually bundle and loaded into the 7er.

Forget about more features and options in the new 5er. It look like a mini F01...the side mirrors, the tail lights, the big pull down grill (EU requirement), the side view cameras, etc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbxAVbD3ja8

The entire interior is a clone of F01
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0EsjRp3T7Y

However, i noticed that the shift lever is different...
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=209642&stc=1&d=1259020440

...compare to F01
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=209643&stc=1&d=1259020534

Checkout the Parking Assistant in action
http://jackyan.********/library/video/6a00c2252293c4604a0123f18083ad860f.html

BMR2009
11-24-2009, 04:59 PM

Those lights can be changed; there are two per side and I hope to have the H8 bulb change completed sometime this month. I'll keep you posted.

We bought their falgship car, supposedly. I'm a little ticked I don't have the satellite map on my flagship car. If BMW starts upgrading ours free of charge, fine. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

bruno787
11-24-2009, 08:43 PM
Those lights can be changed; there are two per side and I hope to have the H8 bulb change completed sometime this month. I'll keep you posted.

We bought their falgship car, supposedly. I'm a little ticked I don't have the satellite map on my flagship car. If BMW starts upgrading ours free of charge, fine. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

are you buying the H8 white bulbs of PIAA? extreme white i think.

LovinM6
11-24-2009, 10:32 PM
I'll be honest with u guys my plan was to trade my 7 for a s550 amg as of march 2010, however the new 7 is starting to grow on me so I may keep it in the family.

I spent a lot of time looking at the S class before ordering my 750. To me, the outside was maybe a toss up. The inside was not even close. The 7 series blew away the S-class.

I've owned Mercedes for years on years and I changed about 4 years ago. I just think BMW does a better job from a corporate point of view as well. I have always found my dealings with Mercedes corporate to be acceptable at best while BMW has always gone above and beyond.

Just my humble opinion.

asaseaban
11-25-2009, 05:19 AM
Look like the 750 tailtips can be swap for the 760 tailtips.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=209818&stc=1&d=1259155150

rgbyhkr
11-25-2009, 05:56 AM
Even though I'm about to take delivery on my new 7, this doesn't bother me. It's a corporate strategy and I can see why they have taken it. The 7 is still the 7 and has plenty of tech. I will say that some of the features on the new 5 are desirable while others I don't care for at all. Of course, this will vary widely by customer. While Parking assistant wouldn't be useful for me, I definitely like Top View. The 5 will also have the "oneshot" voice recognition for nav - saying the address as one sentence and the system parses that out into the various elements of city, street, etc. In theory, this should make voice input much more natural and therefore useful. This actually is coming to the 7 both for nav along with an expansion of voice command input for control of external audio devices (iPod), but not until next year. For those interested, my information from BMW AG is that oneshot will be available in US 7 vehicles starting on 3/2010 and voice control of iPod's in 9/2010. I think the latter one may be worldwide and not just a US availability date.

For some reason, I also like the illumination below the iDrive on the new 5. That's probably just the tech geek in me as I'm sure some folks will find it cheesy.

Jeff

LovinM6
11-25-2009, 07:49 AM
From my experience when buying cars over the years it is not unusual that new models in different lines come out with options that are not available in other cars. This happens all the time with MB.

Eventually, it all catches up and eventually the car you are buying has all the new toys. It all depends where in the cycle you buy.

I agree that all car manufacturers are doing less differentiation between their cars. I suppose this is trying to save money by design time or maybe somebody claims they are trying to give the brand a similar image so it is recognizable. This part I don't necessarily agree with but BMW is not alone. Ever put the different MB models side by side. You can hardly see the difference between a C class and a CL.

BMR2009
11-25-2009, 09:26 AM
are you buying the H8 white bulbs of PIAA? extreme white i think.

Not a fan of PIAA, but I'll be buying what I can find. Not impressed with the board sponsors blowing me off on them, but it's not a high ticket item I guess.

I spent a lot of time looking at the S class before ordering my 750. To me, the outside was maybe a toss up. The inside was not even close. The 7 series blew away the S-class.

I've owned Mercedes for years on years and I changed about 4 years ago. I just think BMW does a better job from a corporate point of view as well. I have always found my dealings with Mercedes corporate to be acceptable at best while BMW has always gone above and beyond.

Just my humble opinion.

Thanks for sharing this. I had several E Class, primarily E55's. They lost me when they changed the body style and made the car cheaply.

Beemaboy
11-26-2009, 01:42 AM

I think you have got that the wrong way around...

BMW has traditionally always put the latest technology in the Flag Ship models and then after ironing out all the kinks, it then pushes them down the model range.
Take I Drive for instance...that was first released on the 7 and then after a few years of teething, it was pushed to the 5 and eventually the 3.
Their reason for this is that they will not impliment a new technology on their biggest income generator, namely the 3 and 5 Series. They would rather realease it to the 'smaller' market that there is for the 7 Series, so that if anything goes really wrong, it does not make THAT bigger impact on their sales...

Was this was with the E38 and E65...probably the F01 too...

avalys
11-26-2009, 11:58 AM
Dude - did you buy your car to drive it, or did you buy it because you liked the idea of owning the flagship BMW, festooned with a bunch of electronic doodads that you thought non-7 owners wouldn't get to appreciate?

Who gives a **** if people who buy the 5 get to look at the same instrument panel as you? Does that suddenly make your car any different? The handling less precise, the engine not as smooth, the headlights dimmer, the seats less comfortable? No! Drive your car, and enjoy it, and forget about whether the next guy to walk into the dealer gets more gadgets than you.

bcool
11-26-2009, 08:36 PM
Dude - did you buy your car to drive it, or did you buy it because you liked the idea of owning the flagship BMW, festooned with a bunch of electronic doodads that you thought non-7 owners wouldn't get to appreciate?

Who gives a **** if people who buy the 5 get to look at the same instrument panel as you? Does that suddenly make your car any different? The handling less precise, the engine not as smooth, the headlights dimmer, the seats less comfortable? No! Drive your car, and enjoy it, and forget about whether the next guy to walk into the dealer gets more gadgets than you.

Wouldn't want to pay double $$ for a NEW Porshce 911 if they make a new version Boxter goes just as fast and handles the same, and worse... looks the same and introduce that Boxter 6 months afterwards.
Regardless, 7 series IS the flagship period OF BMW. It is suppose to be premium NOT same or substandard.

avalys
11-27-2009, 08:08 PM
Wouldn't want to pay double $$ for a Porshce 911 if they make a new version Boxter goes just as fast and handles the same, and worse... looks the same.
Regardless, 7 series IS the flagship period. It is suppose to be premium NOT same or substandard.
The 7 is bigger, that's why it costs more money. And you're comparing next year's 5 series with the current year's 7 series. I'm sure the 2011 7 will have all the same useless gadgets as the 2011 5.

Man, I can't wait until the mid-cycle facelift of the F01. "How dare BMW release an updated model! I paid for the flagship! It's premium! It should be better than all their other cars, always!"

bcool
11-27-2009, 08:50 PM
The 7 is bigger, that's why it costs more money. And you're comparing next year's 5 series with the current year's 7 series. I'm sure the 2011 7 will have all the same useless gadgets as the 2011 5.

Man, I can't wait until the mid-cycle facelift of the F01. "How dare BMW release an updated model! I paid for the flagship! It's premium! It should be better than all their other cars, always!"

Not trying to debate with you my friend. The 5 series is now going to be 193 inches in lenth http://www.likecool.com/2011_BMW_5_Series_Sedan--Coupe--Car.html . That is only 6 inches in difference from the 7 flagship. The 5 series will look like a replica of the 7.
But anyways, this part of the BMW forum is for the new 7....and also please forgive us for making comments that I think are very valid.

Adumbration
11-28-2009, 12:05 AM
I can definitely see why you guys are upset. The new 5 has more impressive features that are bound to make others jealous. It's hard to be the flagship model and be missing the cool new innovative features. And wasn't the F01 just released this year? That's lame. F01 buyers are already left behind and their cars probably still smell like new.

And the new 5 looks great. The 7 looks bland, flat by comparison. The 7 also has an odd air dam design that doesn't quite look right. The designers of the 5 got it right, and everything comes together smoothly in the front.

5 > 7 who knew :dunno:

chrischeung
11-28-2009, 04:59 PM
Regardless, 7 series IS the flagship period. It is suppose to be premium NOT same or substandard.

Wouldn't that be the Rolls Royce Ghost?

bcool
11-28-2009, 05:17 PM
Wouldn't that be the Rolls Royce Ghost?
Flagship of BMW

chrischeung
11-28-2009, 11:40 PM
Flagship of BMW

The Ghost is based on the F01. The 7er will never be as good as the Ghost, otherwise no one would buy it. Just like the Audi R8 cannot be better than the Lamborghini Gallardo.

bcool
11-28-2009, 11:55 PM
The Ghost is based on the F01. The 7er will never be as good as the Ghost, otherwise no one would buy it. Just like the Audi R8 cannot be better than the Lamborghini Gallardo.

For clarifcations: Flagship of BMW does NOT imply flagship of all cars. No one is claiming 7 is better than the Ghost.
The whole beef that all the boys have is that 5 series is not suppose to be same/better than the 7. I have had numerous 7series as well as 5 series since the early 90's. Never EVER was the 5 series comparable in technology/options...the 7 always had many toys over and beyond the 5. We are NOT dissing you guys that are 5 series owners. So please DO NOT get offended in any personal way. We are just scratching our heads wondering BMW's approach to this.
I have had few S class and E class and same thing always applied.

LovinM6
11-29-2009, 10:48 AM
I have had few S class and E class and same thing always applied.

Are you saying that the new E class does not have any new toys that the S class does not have?

bcool
11-29-2009, 11:45 AM
Are you saying that the new E class does not have any new toys that the S class does not have?

Actually the new E class that just came out has fair amount of the toys as the S class but it by no means a mirror image of the S. Regardless, the S class is a completely different car then the E. When you drive both you will know what I mean.

bruno787
11-29-2009, 02:29 PM

Yes, for one, The E can only be had with Airmatic Suspension whereas the S class has Active Body Control Suspension with Crosswind Stabilization=Dynamic Drive.

The E has fewer gadgets than the S, u cannot option it out with more stuff than an S.

chrischeung
11-29-2009, 07:57 PM
I have had numerous 7series as well as 5 series since the early 90's. Never EVER was the 5 series comparable in technology/options...the 7 always had many toys over and beyond the 5. We are NOT dissing you guys that are 5 series owners. So please DO NOT get offended in any personal way. We are just scratching our heads wondering BMW's approach to this.

What about the early 90s E32 and E34? Weren't they very similar? I believe they also shared the same platform (before it was called platform sharing). The differences, from memory, were rear electric seats, self levelling rear, and that's about it? The E38 and E39 also had similar fruit, though I believe their platforms were different. The E65 and E60 I think were more different - a lot to do with the backlash from the media for the E65? Also, doesn't the F01 have rear individual comfort seats, electric rear side window blinds, separate climate air, rear iDrive controls, rear self levelling suspension. Not exactly a bare cupboard. Perhaps the real beef will be the closer styling between the cars, and larger size of the 5er.

Why is BMW doing this? Costs - look at the P/L. BMW looks to be standardizing with 2 platforms across their entire lines. X5/X6/5/6/7 as one platform. X1/X3/1/3/Z4 for the other platform. So in terms of bang for the buck, get a 1er or 5er. Anything else, and you are arguably getting less for your dollar/euro.

Why would 5er owners be offended? I personally am not. Some think the styling is a little too conservative - other than that - we all can't wait for the car to arrive! I honestly was considering the F01 (and F10) - but unless the F01 lease rates drop considerably - say 30% - the F10 will really fit my needs 95% of the time. It's tough to justify the extra spend for those other 5% of the time.

tturedraider
11-29-2009, 08:46 PM
Are any of you aware the new 5er is not out yet and is not slated to be in dealer showrooms until June 2010?

chrischeung
11-29-2009, 09:17 PM
Are any of you aware the new 5er is not out yet and is not slated to be in dealer showrooms until June 2010?

It was unveiled on 23 November. It's out. Any more, and it would be "far out".

PowerTech
11-30-2009, 01:27 PM
When E60 5 series came out, BMW gave them active steering, head up display, and dynamic headlights with cornering function that wasn't available to the E65 at that time, some features even never made it to the E65 7 series. But at least the styling is different, and the interior styling was still exclusive to the E65 7 series. No other series shared the same interior styling as the 7.

When W212 E-class came out, the styling is totally different than the W221 S-class, exterior and interior wise. The E-class is using conventional instrument cluster as opposed to the S-class' LCD panel. So while you can get night vision with the E-class, if you want the image to be projected in the instrument cluster rather than in the center COMAND screen, you have to buy an S-class.

And now the F10. IMO, the exterior styling is different. Yes it does have some similarities, but I'm sure car enthusiasts will notice the difference.
The interior is the most disappointing part, it seemed like BMW interior designers got lazy.. just copy and paste.. tweak this and that just a little bit.. and our job is done! :thumbdwn:
Features and technological stuff can be added in midlife refresh, they could even make the facelifted F01/02 drives itself for what its worth, but its highly unlikely they will give a brand new interior styling.

As for RR Ghost, it's completely different case. Ghost may have been based on F01, share parts with F01, but it looks totally different than F01. They even "polish" the shared interior parts to make them looks more luxurious than the BMW parts.
Rolls Royce, and other super luxury (or even supercars) brands always have the reputation of selling cars with super high price with minimal toys.
What they sell is exclusivity of the brand, super high quality material (exotic wood, hand-stitched upholstery, etc), and driving experience (for supercars).
They can make the F01 better, and people will still buy the Ghost. Example would be VW Phaeton and Bentley Continentals. VW Phaeton sales was so low it has to be pulled out of North American market. Yet it's easier to find Bentley Continentals on the road than VW Phaeton.

chrischeung
11-30-2009, 01:48 PM
The interior is the most disappointing part, it seemed like BMW interior designers got lazy.. just copy and paste.. tweak this and that just a little bit.. and our job is done! :thumbdwn:

I agree with this statement. This however has been the norm more than the exception. The exception being E60/E65.

If you go back to the E32/E34, E38/E39 - and dare I say before that - the 5er and 7er interiors generally looked stylistically similar. The E60/E65 I guess could have been the mould breaker...

I think VW Group is the best auto manufacturer at distinguishing cars that share the same platform most efficiently, whilst maintaining differing personalities in the customers' eyes. And now they've also got Porsche.

asaseaban
12-01-2009, 05:20 AM
Interesting article for next gen iDrive

http://www.bimmerfile.com/2009/09/30/harman-to-build-next-gen-bmw-infotainment/

tturedraider
12-01-2009, 07:32 AM
It was unveiled on 23 November. It's out. Any more, and it would be "far out".

It is "far out". It will be June 2010 before any consumers in the U.S. will be driving one and just a few months after that the 2011 7er will be on the road and who knows what little goodies BMW might add to it.

chrischeung
12-01-2009, 10:12 AM
It will be June 2010 before anyone in the U.S. will be driving one

Not exactly true. The auto trade reviews, internal Sales drives, training, Roundel drives, previews etc. will all happen quickly after the New Year. Festers will have access to these. These are good reviews of the car - and likely less biased. You can also draw initial conclusions based on the 5GT and F01, since they all share the same platform and technology.

However, if you only value your own individual experience - yes, June 2010 is when you will be satisfied.

tturedraider
12-01-2009, 12:37 PM
^^ fixed it for ya.

Not exactly true. The auto trade reviews, internal Sales drives, training, Roundel drives, previews etc. will all happen quickly after the New Year. Festers will have access to these. These are good reviews of the car - and likely less biased. You can also draw initial conclusions based on the 5GT and F01, since they all share the same platform and technology.

However, if you only value your own individual experience - yes, June 2010 is when you will be satisfied.

mapezzul
12-02-2009, 01:42 PM
I think a lot of people here are jumping the gun. Having a lot of first hand experience with F01/F02 and F07. I have probably driven F07 (5 GT) about as many miles as anyone outside of BMW (several thousand miles) and can say that there are definite differences in build quality.

The sculpted wood door handles and the dash integration on the 7 are a step above- as is the use of higher quality leather as standard. The carpet is a higher grade, and the rear seats are of a better finish in F01/02. The air vents on the 7 are also of higher quality and feature a diffuser function for low draft. Buttons are better and many other little things.

The GT and 5 will have leather seating surfaces-the doors, side of seat etc. are NOT leather but a high grade leatherette unless you opt for the expensive adder package. The GT also has a different dash though in photos they look the same- also on the sides of the screen is a plastic housing and it is not as nicely finished/integrated on the 7.

The GT is one step down from this point of view of the 7 but has several plusses in my mind as well- they continued the two-tone and wood inlay on the interior B-Pillar which is nice and of course the LED angel eyes.

The LED angel eyes were not perfected until after the 7 came to market and is why they were not included- they will be in the LCI. The Sat maps is for the same reason (but can be updated).

The 5 will also feature less in terms of the quality little things, door pulls, buttons, vents and dash will be more similar to the GT than the 7. The 5 has a greater driver oriented dash so it is not comparable to the 7. Things may look the same but they are not in feel and function.

The technology is the new generation of BMW components and was never meant to be exclusive to the 7- the black LCD screens and gauges were intended to be used from model to model to save on R&D and for greater economies of scale. The 5 will not have NAV standard and use a different screen than the 7 in this case. The park system may come to the 7 the next model year (also a work in progress).

Also worth noting is that things standard on the 7 will be options on the 5- auto dimming mirrors, folding seats, Xenons, leather, illuminated door sills, etc. A fully loaded 5 will still be less than a 7 but at the same time the 7 has better quality materials throughout.

BMW made them look similar but they are in no way the same. Take my word for it, the 7 is still the executive prestige car and the way it moves says that even more than the material quality- the difference in the drive is something hard to explain.

The difference in the 5 to the 5 GT to 7 is like going from the 750 to the 760- there are incremental changes and an increase in the quality of materials used. Spend time sitting, touching and feeling the little things and you will understand that there is more than meets the eye- like a Zegna suit vs. a Jos. A. Banks one, a Glashutte Original vs. a Movado- you can tell there is a difference by the touch, feel and assembly- the 7 is no different when compared to its siblings!

I will be doing a full comparison of these models soon but until then I hope my commentary helps a bit.

-M

bcool
12-02-2009, 02:55 PM
I think a lot of people here are jumping the gun. Having a lot of first hand experience with F01/F02 and F07. I have probably driven F07 (5 GT) about as many miles as anyone outside of BMW (several thousand miles) and can say that there are definite differences in build quality.

The sculpted wood door handles and the dash integration on the 7 are a step above- as is the use of higher quality leather as standard. The carpet is a higher grade, and the rear seats are of a better finish in F01/02. The air vents on the 7 are also of higher quality and feature a diffuser function for low draft. Buttons are better and many other little things.

The GT and 5 will have leather seating surfaces-the doors, side of seat etc. are NOT leather but a high grade leatherette unless you opt for the expensive adder package. The GT also has a different dash though in photos they look the same- also on the sides of the screen is a plastic housing and it is not as nicely finished/integrated on the 7.

The GT is one step down from this point of view of the 7 but has several plusses in my mind as well- they continued the two-tone and wood inlay on the interior B-Pillar which is nice and of course the LED angel eyes.

The LED angel eyes were not perfected until after the 7 came to market and is why they were not included- they will be in the LCI. The Sat maps is for the same reason (but can be updated).

The 5 will also feature less in terms of the quality little things, door pulls, buttons, vents and dash will be more similar to the GT than the 7. The 5 has a greater driver oriented dash so it is not comparable to the 7. Things may look the same but they are not in feel and function.

The technology is the new generation of BMW components and was never meant to be exclusive to the 7- the black LCD screens and gauges were intended to be used from model to model to save on R&D and for greater economies of scale. The 5 will not have NAV standard and use a different screen than the 7 in this case. The park system may come to the 7 the next model year (also a work in progress).

Also worth noting is that things standard on the 7 will be options on the 5- auto dimming mirrors, folding seats, Xenons, leather, illuminated door sills, etc. A fully loaded 5 will still be less than a 7 but at the same time the 7 has better quality materials throughout.

BMW made them look similar but they are in no way the same. Take my word for it, the 7 is still the executive prestige car and the way it moves says that even more than the material quality- the difference in the drive is something hard to explain.

The difference in the 5 to the 5 GT to 7 is like going from the 750 to the 760- there are incremental changes and an increase in the quality of materials used. Spend time sitting, touching and feeling the little things and you will understand that there is more than meets the eye- like a Zegna suit vs. a Jos. A. Banks one, a Glashutte Original vs. a Movado- you can tell there is a difference by the touch, feel and assembly- the 7 is no different when compared to its siblings!

I will be doing a full comparison of these models soon but until then I hope my commentary helps a bit.

-M

Thanks so much for taking the time to post this. Much appreciated indeed. Makes a LOT of sense b/c I did have 5 series and 7 series at same time and at NO time whatsoever did I feel they were in the same category/class.
Look for fwd to your full comparison soon!!

SleepTight
12-03-2009, 07:21 AM
Thanks so much for taking the time to post this. Much appreciated indeed. Makes a LOT of sense b/c I did have 5 series and 7 series at same time and at NO time whatsoever did I feel they were in the same category/class.
Look for fwd to your full comparison soon!!

Agreed. I hadn't previously considered the superior finishings and materials of the 750i when begining the process of deciding between a new F01 or a new F10 to replace my current 535. I still have concerns that at a macro level the new 550 will siphon off sales from the 750i but I'm personally going to take a very long, hard look at both cars before signing on the dotted line.

In any case, there's no question my next car will be a BMW since both the 550 and 750 are so superior to the competing models from Audi/Mercedes/Lexus/Jaguar.

mapezzul
12-03-2009, 01:43 PM
Agreed. I hadn't previously considered the superior finishings and materials of the 750i when begining the process of deciding between a new F01 or a new F10 to replace my current 535. I still have concerns that at a macro level the new 550 will siphon off sales from the 750i but I'm personally going to take a very long, hard look at both cars before signing on the dotted line.

In any case, there's no question my next car will be a BMW since both the 550 and 750 are so superior to the competing models from Audi/Mercedes/Lexus/Jaguar.

Also worth noting is that the 550 will be available with xDrive next fall. The 5 will also have a different drive and "feel" than the 7. This is going to be an interesting time for BMW. I also can't wait for this new X3 to finally break cover as it is based on the next generation 3er....

-M

asaseaban
12-05-2009, 05:21 PM
Since we're on the subject of the new 5er i thought i'll throw in the next generation 3 series.

The next gen BMW 3-series will be the first of a family of BMW cars with a more recognizable face derived from the original styling of the Shanghai concept

With the new 3-series, designers will attempt to address criticisms of the current cars awkward styling and lack of interior space. These renderings, compiled using information from sources close to the project show that the new car will have a pronounced kidney-grille with the air-intakes positioned on either side of the bumper just below the headlights.

New options for the 2012 3-series will include hybrid variants as well as the latest version of BMWs Efficient Dynamics. The xDrive AWD system is likely to gain favor thanks to a redesign of the system to reduce weight, which will only increase fuel consumption by 0.5L per 62 miles over RWD models.

Other features that may make it to production include night-vision devices, heads-up display and radar safety systems

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=210816&stc=1&d=1260062156

LovinM6
12-05-2009, 05:23 PM
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=210820&stc=1&d=1260064918

Now that is a sexy looking car. :thumbup:

pcmike
01-02-2010, 12:28 AM
Wow, I was up late tonight browsing the board and came across the new 5er and now I'm coming across rumored pics of the new 3er and man..... I can't wait for my 335 lease to be up in ~3yrs time to get into a 550i! The 3er in the above pictures is UGLY compared to the F10. Wow wow, I really can't wait for an F10. Let the waiting begin!

mlad1101
01-04-2010, 12:24 PM
Since we're on the subject of the new 5er i thought i'll throw in the next generation 3 series.

The next gen BMW 3-series will be the first of a family of BMW cars with a more recognizable face derived from the original styling of the Shanghai concept

With the new 3-series, designers will attempt to address criticisms of the current car's awkward styling and lack of interior space. These renderings, compiled using information from sources close to the project show that the new car will have a pronounced kidney-grille with the air-intakes positioned on either side of the bumper just below the headlights.

New options for the 2012 3-series will include hybrid variants as well as the latest version of BMW's Efficient Dynamics. The xDrive AWD system is likely to gain favor thanks to a redesign of the system to reduce weight, which will only increase fuel consumption by 0.5L per 62 miles over RWD models.

Other features that may make it to production include night-vision devices, heads-up display and radar safety systems

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=210816&stc=1&d=1260062156

Those are not all pics of a 3. The 2 on the left are of the CS concept. A much higher end car and in my opinion much better looking.